getting back into it
    Sep 2008

Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 axle options?

What axle options are available for the Rohloff? Are they available with Thru-axles, and if so, what sizes?

Sorry, I'm new to IGHs (well, since my old schwinn 3-speed way back when ... )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsalt
    What axle options are available for the Rohloff? Are they available with Thru-axles, and if so, what sizes?

Sorry, I'm new to IGHs (well, since my old schwinn 3-speed way back when ... )
    Standard QR or bolt on (10 x 1 track standard)

getting back into it
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xPneu
    Standard QR or bolt on (10 x 1 track standard)
    Thx 2xPneu!

Which one is stronger? I'm a big guy ... need something strong ...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Ted, they are probably both about the same. Unlike other bolt-ons that are in effect a 10mm thru-axle, the Speedhub bolt-on 'bolts on" on the non-drive side, held in place by a handful of machine screws (same as the QR version -- look up "speedhub axle plates" if you are unfamiliar.

The bolt-on version probably has greater clamping force versus the QR, which could reduce frame flex, maybe. But I'm aware of quite a few tandem drivers running the QR with no trouble, so I don't think ultimately the strength of one or the other will be a concern.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    As Nate says, strength is likely similar, but I use bolt-on because it looks a little cleaner (IMO) and perhaps a bit stronger clamping force as I run a full sus offroader. If you dremel off the acorn caps of the bolt on nuts it reduces the profile considerably. Just make sure you use loctite, and carry a 15mm wrench on your rides.

getting back into it
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for your replies 2xPneu and Nate.

Any experience with Pitlocks with Rohloffs? It appears the Pitlocks work with the bolt-on Rohloff ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have been using a Pitlock skewer in my Rolhoff for 3 years now.
    I carry heavy camping or shopping loads and usually ride on roads or tracks, so no extreme off-road usage.
    The only thing I did was shorten the skewer a few mm so that I could use a bar in the Pitlock special nut.
    The tightening torque recommended is 10N.m.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ....just dont over torque the Pitlock - leads to shifting problems due to squshing the Q/R axle slightly.

Strength does not differ but as 2xPneu mentioned, the TS (threaded axle) has a greater clamping force to support frame stability. Remember. A Q/R axle is only designed to secure itself to the frame (vertical dropouts) and so does not require a great clamping force to complete this task. Thanks to gravity, the wheel cannot move! The Threaded axle however is required to hold the wheel in place in a horizontal track dropout whilst the chain is constanly trying to pull the wheel forward! It therefore has to clamp itself firmly in place.