mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Rohloff and Shimano 1x Boost Crankset - Anybody Tried?

I am spec'ing up a new 135mm solid-axle Rohloff / Karate Monkey build. I'm looking at potential cranksets for it to achieve the 'magical' 54mm chainline. I've seen that the new Boost versions of Shimano cranksets, for example the Shimano SLX M7000 Boost Single 11sp Crankset, offer a 153.4mm chainline, which is obviously incredibly close and ought to be fine in the real world. Has anybody tried running this combo? It seems like potentially an elegant solution. I would be looking to replace the standard chainring with a more hard-wearing 8 or 9-speed chainring such as the Surly SS ones. Will this alter things again? I've seen that the chainrings appear to curve inboard, so I worry that a replacement straight chainring will actually put the chainline further out.

If not, what are people's preferred options? I have Middleburn RS-8 Rohloff cranks on another build, which are great, but I'm looking for a cheaper option this time round. Am I best off sticking to a triple crankset, such as the Shimano SLX M7000 Triple?

mtbr member
    don't know what a boost crankset is.......I run White Industries ENO with Phil Woods Ti BB on both my Rohloffs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rohloff and Shimano 1x Boost Crankset - Anybody Tried?-rscn2186.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm running a boost chainline with my Rohloff, albeit with Hope cranks and a spiderless chain ring but, boost is boost I guess. Works perfectly for me. I think it's 1mm out of line so just a knicker whisker off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks MrBadger - that's useful to hear! I'm interested to see what people are tending to use now that the 104BCD Shimano cranks seems to be being phased out. I've gone with a Deore M590 Triple (with a Middleburn chainring) to play it safe, but it seems that all the new cranks are tending towards 96BCD - perhaps someone will make solid quality 96BCD rings suitable for 8-speed chains? Anybody know of any already available?