mtbr member
    Dec 2007

rohloff shifter with nuvinci n360 hub

would it work?

how about the cool shifters seen in this thread. the n360 hub is actually kind of neat, but the shifter is a bit underwhelming.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Sure it could work - dual cable pull, right? But, you lose the infinitely variable appeal of the NuVinci doing that. Rohloff shifters are indexed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Sure it could work - dual cable pull, right? But, you lose the infinitely variable appeal of the NuVinci doing that. Rohloff shifters are indexed.
    rohloff shifters are not indexed....they just pull cable and the indexing occurs inside the hub. it's neat.

the variable here is whether a rohloff shifter pulls as much cable as a nuvinci shifter. I imagine perusing tech docs could give me my answer, but I was hoping someone would just tell me

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Ah, I see -- I was assuming.

It sounds like you're doing something unusual - tech docs are your friend. Believe me, I like unusual =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In case anyone else is curious, this works quite well with the N360. It's around 85% of the rohloff cable pull (unscientific measurement based on using just under 12 of 14 "gears").

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So does the Rohloff pull more cable? Do you have to twist less to change more? I don't like how the Nuvinci shifter has to move lots to shift little.

mtbr member
    tlupfer: do you have pics?
    thanks
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Rohloff indexing is in the hub. Shifter freely turns when not attached.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I actually had a few long conversations about the Nuvinci shifter recently. One with an engineer friend of mine where we designed a trigger shifter and electronic road brifter. And one with my Nuvinci rep, where we actually talked about the first conversation.

Long story short Nuvinci is working on a new shifter. It sounds like it's just going to be a slimmed down twist shifter. They aren't against a trigger shifter but my rep was telling me that they would rather just develop stuff and then try to find a market rather then develop stuff for the demand. He did say that if a company came to them with a big order and wanted a different style shifter they would be willing to come up with some stuff. He also said hey are willing to provide tech specs to anyone that wants to try to make something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by No Skid Marks View Post
    So does the Rohloff pull more cable? Do you have to twist less to change more? I don't like how the Nuvinci shifter has to move lots to shift little.
    Anyone know?
    Why the hate for Grip Shift from most people? I think it's arguably better for gearbox use as you aren't limited by how many gears you can shift at once like a mech. So multi shifts are easier with grip possibly than triggers.
    I'll have to try a grip shift on my Alfine 8 too see. The Zerode modified Sram trigger is pretty good though. Can change enough gears in one hit for DH usage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by No Skid Marks View Post
    Anyone know?
    Why the hate for Grip Shift from most people?
    I don't think it's necessarily grip shifters, but the incredibly cheesy design with the giant plastic indicator that Nuvinci makes. I'm currently considering getting one, but this is a huge turn-off for me.

A God Without A Name
    Has anyone thought to try and build something like a Pauls Thumbie barcon? I imagine the standard downtube shifter and a Nuvinci have vastly different throws. but I wonder how different. as in, would a travel agent get it in the ball park? or would the entire barcon need to be made?

seems that kind of shifter lends itself to the indexless idea. you'd need actual numbers to even know if such an idea was remotely possible.