Music & Bikes

Rohloff rinse alternative

What do you guy use instead of the rinse stuff when changing oil ?

I bought the gallon of oil a couple of years ago I I wonder if the Rinse stuff can be something else ....
    Is that step (rinsing) an obligation on the yearly oil change ?

Opinions ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I only rinsed mine on the 1st oil change. After that, only an oil change.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    does seem to get a lot of dirt out...if you have a gallon maybe just use the oil to clean it, then replace with same stuff.

mtbr member
    the rohloff kit contains some kind of cleaning oil to thin the existing oil in the hub before draining. i dont recall the instructions calling for a rinse (at least in the same sense that the shimano alfine 11 says drain, put new oil in and then drain again) unless adding the cleaning oil to the old oil is what you mean by "rinse."

from the rohloff site...

*There will already be approx. 25ml fluid in the hub (old oil and any penetrated moisture). After the cleaning oil is also filled into the hub then there will be approx. 50ml fluid to drain out. For this reason the cleaning oil comes in a 50ml bottle so that the old fluid can be drained out into this bottle for safe disposal.

after that you just add the new oil and you are good to go at least according to the instructions.

edit: not sure where i was going with all that but i was trying to be helpful. if you dont have the cleaning oil maybe just some sort of solvent or mineral oil or just do a rinse i guess haha
    Last edited by honkonbobo; 08-22-2012 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    With that much oil I'd warm a little up to reduce viscosity then put it in and whirl it around on your bike stand after of course draining the old oil. Then fill with the appropriate amount. That's what I do because I bought a liter. Seems to work well.

Music & Bikes
    I wonder if cutting the oil with Kerozen might be harmfull to the seals/plastics

( I thought I've read somewhere someone cutting his oil with Kerozen for sub -40C temperatures )
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    A motor car boils off any left over kerosene, but a rolhoff wont get that hot. Its an expensive experiment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    ( I thought I've read somewhere someone cutting his oil with Kerozen for sub -40C temperatures )
    That was probably me, back before thier multigrade oil, we had some issues with low temperature perfomance, so we added a few ml of kerosene to the hub to thin the oil. That recomendation came from RohloffUSA back when Thomas work there. The users in Alaska did the same thing in the winter. Mine went through 1/2 dozen winters with ~10mm kerosene added, after which I stared using the multigrade oil. I stopped adding kerosene as the hubs had less issue as the wore in, and I rode them less in the winter (switched to SS, which is less maintenance).