Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rohloff Ratio Question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
#1 ·
I have an XTR M960 crankset with a 32T middle ring and 44T big ring, I am a little unsure which Rohloff cog I can use with the chainrings. I think if I use my 32T ring I would need a 13T cog to comply with Rohloffs permissible sprocket ratio. If I did use a 13T cog I think it would mess up my chain line. If I use my 44T big ring I could use a 17T cog which would work but again I don't know if my chain line would be off. Anyway if you have any input on the matter it would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want to buy a new crankset. Thanks.

#2 ·
The Speedhub chainline is for the external plate.

Maybe you can find a 40 or a 42 if it exists.....

You also can go a little lower than what Rohloff permits without destroying it.

#4 ·
Also worth noting larger rings / cogs result in greater drivetrain efficiency. Probably not enough to notice, but definitely enough to measure.

Question is, does the (also minor) weight savings and ground clearance of smaller rings/cogs outweigh the increase in efficiency?

To maximize drivetrain life, a 40T Surly stainless steel chainring ($30) plus a 17T Rohloff cog will last a good long while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.