It's about showing up.

Rohloff on the Podium

My son Miguel ran his Rohloff.Lenz at the State Championships at Boggs last Sunday. He finished 4th with 2 SoCal League Boys blistering 1 and 2. He ended up finishing 2nd overall for the season. The picture shows him on the Podium at 4th but the scoring error has been corrected along with the appropriate swag. Note the Rohloff T-shirt from Thomas just for the occasion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Mike, congrats to Miguel -- that's quite an accomplishment. You must be a proud pop. If he can keep it up, Thomas is going to want to sponsor him full-time and get the word out.

Gotta get my hands on one of those Speedhub T-shirts.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, congrats. That's cool.

I so wish I had discovered mtn biking when I was that young!

It's about showing up.

I wish I had too.

This perspective leads to some interesting insights for me as a coach and a dad. First off, if I had discovered this as a teen I might have just screwed it up. I find that this helps me appreciate what the kids do more and dwell on what they fail to do less. Secondly, I get to watch my son as an athlete. I think he may be as good an athlete as I was at his age so I get a sense of how I would have done. The challenge as an adult observer is that one sees all the places where improvements can be made. Yet this is by virtue of my years of experience and with adult focus. It is just too easy to purpose him with my goals but it is his sport, his activity, and it has to fit in his life and not mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    This perspective leads to some interesting insights for me as a coach and a dad. First off, if I had discovered this as a teen I might have just screwed it up. I find that this helps me appreciate what the kids do more and dwell on what they fail to do less. Secondly, I get to watch my son as an athlete. I think he may be as good an athlete as I was at his age so I get a sense of how I would have done. The challenge as an adult observer is that one sees all the places where improvements can be made. Yet this is by virtue of my years of experience and with adult focus. It is just too easy to purpose him with my goals but it is his sport, his activity, and it has to fit in his life and not mine.
    Smart and true words. Enjoy all the time and energy you can with him in similarly shared passions and you will both be better for it. Only give him what he asks for in return.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    great