Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rohloff/Ogre

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ... Rohloff/Ogre

Finally got my new bike! Pictures are here Ogre Album.

This is meant as a touring bike, both on the road and dirt, like the San Juan Huts or Great Divide. It was designed for maximum comfort and flexibility. I can hardly wait to get some real miles on it. So far, the comfort is a real success. The roads around here are harsh and bumpy, but the suspension and fat tires take of that! It will also work as a backup mountain bike. The tires may not be identifiable in the pics, they are Schwalbe Big Apples. I'd probably use something else for purely dirt riding.

I love the way the color came out. It's meant to be that greenish yellow safety color.

-Bob
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    So the Troll wasn't bright enough for ya eh?

Awesome ride.

mtbr member
    Very nice. I doubt any hunters will mistake you for a deer on that bike!

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    I would'a been OK with the orange Troll, but the olive drab Ogre wasn't going to cut it.
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcarlson49 View Post
    I would'a been OK with the orange Troll, but the olive drab Ogre wasn't going to cut it.
    I feel exact opposite, since I want my ride to be a little more stealth for camping. But yeah, I really dig your color choice. I read somewhere (although opinions abound of course) that saftey green/yellow is actually the most visible from a distance.

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    I'm much more of a CC tourer, so stealth wasn't the objective.
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good job! Some spec's please

G'day Bob,

Awesome bike! I'm very jealous!. Are you able to give me some pointers on how you put the bike together?
    I'm considering doing something similar with either an Ogre or maybe even a Nomad, although I do want to stay with a 29er.
    Are you able to advise what model Rohloff that is? CC OEM?
    How did you source it? What size disc is it? 160mm?
    Did you build the wheel yourself or the LBS?
    Where did you source the spokes and what are they?
    Forgive my ignorance, what do you call the bracket holding the hub in place/chain tension? And where did you get it from?
    Thanks very much and I completely understand if you don't respond for a long time.
    If I had your bike, I'd be out riding it, not typing away on a boring computer.

Cheers
    Vince

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ...

CycleMonkey put the bike together for me. They (he really) built the wheels and sold me the parts including the Rohloff. I thought his prices were good. He also arranged for the frame to be painted.

I'm not sure of the official designation, but the choices were disk, external mech and 9mm QR type axle. I believe that only a 160 mm disk is allowed on the Ogre. I use a 180 in the front after long experience with disks on my mtn bike, I think it's worth it, especially on a bike that is going to be carrying a load. Most of your braking comes from the front so that makes the best sense anyway. The BB7s feel great.

That bracket holding the rear in place is a Surly tugnut. I'm told only one is necessary, but the builder put two on. We'll see how that works.

I think the comfort level on this bike is going to be great. The roads here in Tucson resemble a mine field, but that's all absorbed by the FS.

Good luck with your build!

I went and found the specs for the wheel build and hub:
    Speedhub 500/14 DB, OEM2, black anodized
    160mm, 4-Bolt Avid G2 Rotor, 160mm, 4-Bolt Version for Rohloff
    Shimano XT Front Hub, black, 36 hole
    Black Velocity Cliff Hanger 700c Rim, Black, 1x32 hole, 1x36 hole
    241mm Sapim Force Spoke 2.2/1.8/2.0 mm, Black, 241mm 32
    262mm Sapim Force Spoke 2.2/1.8/2.0 mm, Black, 262mm 36
    Black, 12mm Sapim Brass Nipple, Black
    Last edited by rjcarlson49; 04-12-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Added specs
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks mate!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

A little more advice please

G'day Bob,

How's that sweet bike going?

I've given up on the Thorn idea as the Ogre has all I want and more. Iíve ordered an Ogre frame and am super excited about putting a bike together! I tried to create my own thread so people can follow but the silly forum wonít let me until I make 5 posts. (So you get to listen to my ravings for a little longer).

This will be the first my first bike build and I plan to have a go at building the wheels too. Iíve been doing a little more net searching to identify what bits I want on my dream bike. The bike will be used daily for off-road commutes and the occasional off road tour. It will include a Rohloff and a Dyno.

This leads me to seek your advice and from anyone else out there with horizontal drop outs and disc brakes. There are several reports out there of people having issues with the back wheel. The rear disc brake forces the axle rearwards, usually resulting in just the left side of the axle moving to the rear. Have you had any problems with this?

Some of the suggested solutions have been to install a quality QR like Shimano XT, or DT Swiss QR (many varied results), bolt on axles, or Chris King Fun Bolts.

I was considering doing front and rear disc brakes. Now Iím inclined to get front disc and only rim brakes on the rear to prevent this issue with the disc brake and horizontal drop out.

Any thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Thanks mate.
    Vince.

PS. Sorry for all the , I just worked out how to do them.

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    I have 2 Surly Tugnuts. They position the rear axle pretty precisely and I don't think I have to worry about it moving. At the moment I have a Shimano XT skewer that is made for a 135 spacing mtb. It is barely long enough. I am thinking of getting one of the 145 mm skewers that are out there.

There are appears to be no problem with space in the rear for the disks. I practiced taking the rear wheel off last weekend and it is a little tricky. If you have a rear disk I think 2 Tugnuts are essential. I once thought that only 1 would be necessary, but with the disk I think you have to have both to make it easy to keep the disk aligned. I love the feel of the disks and would not want to go to rim brakes, even just in the rear.

Getting the rear wheel back in is a hassle. The tugnuts are loose and include a second loose washer, so you have about 6 parts to get threaded together before you can close the skewer. I need to figure out some way to improve the situation.

-Bob
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

Still want a fat bike....
    Nice bike.... big fan of that color. If I were to have mine painted/powder coated, I would do something along those lines. Mine is a commuter. Props to you... very nice build.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterpiggy View Post
    G'day Bob,

This leads me to seek your advice and from anyone else out there with horizontal drop outs and disc brakes. There are several reports out there of people having issues with the back wheel. The rear disc brake forces the axle rearwards, usually resulting in just the left side of the axle moving to the rear. Have you had any problems with this?
    I am using Rohloff speedhub + disc brake with QR axle on my Surly 1x1, which has horizontal drop outs. I have never suffered of this left side movement by brake force. Only time, when I noticed that left side was slightly moved backwards, was after quite heavy hit to the rear wheel due failed bunny hop over fallen tree. Otherwise I haven't have any issues with this combination even tough I have abused my bike on rocky&root-paths a lot.
    I use old cannondale's QR-axle and from drop out's steel I can see that it can get some grip, which is enough to resist brake forces from 160mm rotor in my use.

Anyhow I managed to move right side of axle forward by busting one surly tuggnut, when I one tree branch wandered between chain and the sprocket, when I was pressing pedals very hard. Result of this can be found easily with google with "busted surly tuggnut" search

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    G'day Bob,

How's that sweet bike going?

I've given up on the Thorn idea as the Ogre has all I want and more. Iíve ordered an Ogre frame and am super excited about putting a bike together! I tried to create my own thread so people can follow but the silly forum wonít let me until I make 5 posts. (So you get to listen to my ravings for a little longer).

This will be the first my first bike build and I plan to have a go at building the wheels too. Iíve been doing a little more net searching to identify what bits I want on my dream bike. The bike will be used daily for off-road commutes and the occasional off road tour. It will include a Rohloff and a Dyno.

Some of the suggested solutions have been to install a quality QR like Shimano XT, or DT Swiss QR (many varied results), bolt on axles, or Chris King Fun Bolts.

I was considering doing front and rear disc brakes. Now Iím inclined to get front disc and only rim brakes on the rear to prevent this issue with the disc brake and horizontal drop out.

Any thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Thanks mate.
    Vince.

PS. Sorry for all the , I just worked out how to do them.
    I have a pugsley,which has horizontal drop outs. I run a Speedhub also. I have a tugnut on the drive side only,I am using a salsa skewer, I just adjusted my chain tension for the first time since installing it in March. I have had NO issues with my rear wheel moving with this setup. I did a 136 mile tour last weekend trouble free.
    I will say this though, once you have a Rohloff on one bike you will be wanting them on all your other bikes
    I installed this my self,it was straight forward and pretty simple. Have fun!

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005

Smile Update

With the disk brakes, I find that 2 Surly Tugnuts are essential to getting the wheel on in a reasonable amount of time. If you are not used to using disks you may not be aware how finicky the adjustment can be. With the Tugnuts correctly adjusted you can put the wheel on and know it will work with the disk.

The Tugnuts make a standard skewer barely fit because of the extra thickness. I bought a 145mm DT-Swiss skewer and it seems to work much better than the standard Shimano XT skewer that was on it.

I had a chance to take the bike on a path that I had ridden on my road bike. I am happy to report that the heavy bike with 50 mm Schwalbe Big Apples and front suspension is nearly as fast as my 17 lb carbon road bike. The price for such drastically improved comfort is small. In addition it feels way more stable on descents.

Also, for water I bought a 100 oz Camelbak Unbottle and put it on the rear rack with an extended tube so I don't have to carry water on my back.
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcarlson49 View Post
    With the disk brakes, I find that 2 Surly Tugnuts are essential to getting the wheel on in a reasonable amount of time. If you are not used to using disks you may not be aware how finicky the adjustment can be. With the Tugnuts correctly adjusted you can put the wheel on and know it will work with the disk.

The Tugnuts make a standard skewer barely fit because of the extra thickness. I bought a 145mm DT-Swiss skewer and it seems to work much better than the standard Shimano XT skewer that was on it.
    Thank you for updating the thread. I had the exact same issue with the skewer I bought; I went online, found a longer one, but it was still barely long enough when running two Tuggnuts. Without it, I actually broke the skewer I was using under hard braking. Luckily, the hard braking was on a test run on the hill outside my apartment, so the walk back wasn't too bad. I figured the Tuggnuts were adding around 5mm each so a tandem, trailer or generic longer skewer would make the difference.

I'm currently running conventional gears but will be making the Rohloff switch reasonably soon too.

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    As an all-around tire I think it worked really well. We finished the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal a few weeks ago. We had one rain day with some mud and wet. We also rode mostly pavement one day. The tires were never an issue which I think is what you want. These trails are gravelly and flat for the most part so climbing was entirely untested. They are basically slicks so if was expecting a lot of climbing of 10% grades and/or mud I think I would use another tire. For touring, I really like them so far.
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice Troll!

Thanks all for the comments about the Tugnut setup. I was wondering if installing the rear wheel would be a hassle. Would love to see a photo of the procedure to install the rear wheel and exactly how tough it is to line up all the parts.

The Orge/Troll is such a good deal considering even the cheapest custom frame with rocker dropouts is far, far more money. Someday I will have to make that move because my current setup with Rohloff tensioner leads to more chain-dropping than I'd like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    your ogre is pretty much the coolest color I have ever seen! i want one just like it! what's the RAL # for the color?

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by modernpracticality View Post
    your ogre is pretty much the coolest color I have ever seen! i want one just like it! what's the RAL # for the color?
    Thanks!

I could not get a RAL number, but here's the exchange via email. I did ask the guy who was the "general contractor". He's Neil at CycleMonkey. I would happily work with him again and he gave me a good deal I thought, hundreds less than my LBS quoted me.

My original request was "RAL-1016, Sulphur Yellow. The idea is visibility. Can they do florescent colors? Iím looking for the safety color look, like they do for fire-engines and safety vests."

He then referred me to http://www.tiger-coatings.us/fileadm...fect_Vol_5.pdf

My request was for "The closest looks like Tiger Drylac 59/20043, neon yellow."

He replied "They didn't have the 59/20043 color from Tiger, but they had something they said was very close from a different company."

And after I had the bike I asked about a RAL number. "Apparently the florescent colors do not have RAL codes. They spray a chrome powder on first followed by the florescent powder. The florescent powder came from Tiger Drylac."

So, that's what I know. I assume CycleMonkey could get another that way.

-Bob
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Bob, Love your Ogre. I cant tell from your pics what cranks you chose?

I'm a big fan of Velocity rims and Brooks B17 saddles. I'm looking at a similar build but have so far only got my 36H Rohloff and my B17.

I ask about your crankset so I can go on to ask how you got your 54mm chainline sorted. Which bottom bracket?

I'll be going for a dynamo hub build with disk brake as having gotten used to having a great Edelux headlamp powered by a Sondelux hub I could never go back to battery lights. My hub charges my lights and gps on my current bike and will charge my phone when I finally decide what to replace my 10 year old Nokia 5510 with.

I think I'll be happy with the Surly green as I'm a stealth camper who uses a Macpac bivybag (green) and like to escape camp fees by camping wild.

I'm going to go with CX-Rays for spokes as my current bikes wheels were made up with them and I've had no issues.
    How are you getting on with using the 145mm DT-Swiss skewer as I've read of the issues of length with the Ogres thick dropouts.
    I didn't receive one with my Rohloff hub.
    I'll be looking at big apples for some cush and going for Velocity Dyads I think for rims.
    Thanks for any answers

Lost in the Trees
    Apr 2005

Crankset and BB

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Hi Bob, Love your Ogre. I cant tell from your pics what cranks you chose?

I ask about your crankset so I can go on to ask how you got your 54mm chainline sorted. Which bottom bracket?
    Thanks for any answers
    Sorry I took so long to answer. I had to look it up so I put it aside [for too long].

The crank is Shimano Deore with a RaceFace SS/DH ring. I am pretty sure it is mounted as the big ring. The crankset includes the BB, though I am not sure whether the BB has a variable size or not. The chain line appears to be perfect.

You can ask the guy and Cycle Monkey and I'm sure he'll help you out. He built up my bike and did a good job. Cycle Monkey

Good Luck!!!
    -Bob
    Eugene, OR - Tucson, AZ

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks Bob
    Appreciate the heads up

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    G'day Rifraf!

And Bob! Thanks very much for your help! I finally made the Ogre rideable a few weeks ago.

Rifraf, it seems my bike may be similar to what you're after. I've got Velocity Chucker rims, 36H Rohloff, Son28 front hub (will throw in a Pitlock Skewer), and a Brooks 17.

I'm still doing a few adjustments. Today I put on a new small front chain ring of 34t. (Rohloff recently reduced the allowable ratios for their hubs) Had some issues with an inconsistent chain tension and Sheldon Brown sorted that out for me.

Any advice on the easiest way to post a pic of my bike for all to see?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    G'day Rifraf!

And Bob! Thanks very much for your help! I finally made the Ogre rideable a few weeks ago.

Rifraf, it seems my bike may be similar to what you're after. I've got Velocity Chucker rims, 36H Rohloff, Son28 front hub (will throw in a Pitlock Skewer), and a Brooks 17.

I'm still doing a few adjustments. Today I put on a new small front chain ring of 34t. (Rohloff recently reduced the allowable ratios for their hubs) Had some issues with an inconsistent chain tension and Sheldon Brown sorted that out for me.

Any advice on the easiest way to post a pic of my bike for all to see?
    G'day Scooterpiggy,
    I suggest you first resize them by first opening them in microsoft office picture manager and clicking the tab at the top "Picture" and then clicking "resize". A box on the left will open and I click "preferred width and height", then a drop down menu and pick "web-large (640x480px) and then "OK". When I close the box a message pops up asking "save?", I click "Yes" and then the pic is ready for adding to your photo host (Photobucket.com) in a size that wont be chopped when posting on here.
    Does that help?

Where did you source your frame?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast