mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Regarding the proper care and feeding of an 8-spd Alfine hub

I found additional info on the instruction sheet provided with my Small Parts Kit.
    It warns that Alfine IGHs are not completely waterproof, and that one should "avoid using it in places where water might get inside it."
    I plan to avoid submerging my Alfine hub. Period. Ain't gonna happen if I can avoid doing so.
    I also plan to avoid submerging my bottom bracket in any salt or brackish water. Never gonna happen. I did a really thorough job of frame saving my new Pugsley frame with the Boeshield T-9, but it seems to me that submerging a bottom bracket or hub in salt water is just asking for trouble.

I don't plan to open the drive side of my new hub and apply extra waterproof grease before I use it, even though that has been recommended by some forum members. I don't want to be disassembling my new hub before I use it, and take a chance on screwing it up.

mtbr member
    Keep the shift cable markers well aligned and just ride beast.

I carry my bike through deep water or ride around it.

Inspecting my Shimano Alfine 8 IGH… | The Lazy Rando Blog...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the advice, Vik. I also plan to sit and spin, and not stand and stomp, when going uphill. My R-knee's aging meniscus will thank me for that, to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Vik. I also plan to sit and spin, and not stand and stomp, when going uphill. My R-knee's aging meniscus will thank me for that, to be sure.
    I hammer my Alfines. I stand and crank on loaded bikes up steep climbs. If I had to baby them they'd be long gone.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Good to know. Looks like my right knee will be the limiting factor. It hasn't really bothered me since I tried to carry a 57 lb pack high into the back country in Olympic Nat'l Park in the summer of '05.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I hammer my Alfines. I stand and crank on loaded bikes up steep climbs. If I had to baby them they'd be long gone.

mtbr member
    I dunk mine in the ocean every few weeks keeps all the bolts from loosening off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Well, its been too cold or ugly around here for me to go surfing, and I'm recovering from an injury anyway, so I haven't been dunking my carcass in the ocean lately. I sure hope that I don't suffer body parts falling off of me!

Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    I dunk mine in the ocean every few weeks keeps all the bolts from loosening off.