mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Rear tire for Rohloff

I am just putting my first Rohloff build together and am wondering about a rear tire.

I am not a weight weenie but I'd like to keep the weight down. Also, I want to avoid changing the tire as much as possible (weird no? lol)

I ride an hour long 15 km commute, each way, with some 1600+ feet of elevation gain. The trail has no roots but it is hardpack and loose gravel over hardpack, with about 3 km of asphalt. A couple of the longer steeper climbs require tires with good grip for babyhead rocks.

Often when riding I'm going to work and just don't want to be changing tires with a Rohloff hub (because of the way my speedhub is attached -- but let's not get into that).

I've tried some Specialized Fast Trac tires on another bike: very light but no good for me, way too deficient in grip, and probably not long lasting. Nobby Nics were okay but I bought the 2.4 version -- too big and heavy. Someone gave me a set of new 2.1 TT Larsens. Haven't tried them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

WTB? Continental? What about a Crossmark rear -- very solid and strong, without a big weight penalty? I'm not rich but I'm willing to spend for a great rear tire.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry, have to edit: the Larsens are 2.0 not 2.1

Anyhow, what tires are people running on their XC or light AM Rohloff equipped bikes?

Cheers!

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Larsons should be OK. I ran them ont he front for a while and there isn't much difference in width to the crossmark. I run crossmarks onthe rear pretty much exclusively. They grip well enough but people say not the best for wet or mud. I ride mostly steep loose and loose over hard here with the occasional rock feature. A good all round tyre IMO for most stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Great thanks -- I might give that a try too.

Do you think the Crossmarks are a bit tougher, a bit more robust and puncture resistant than the Larsens?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    probably about the same I think. The crossmarks don't have a reputation for tough side walls, but probably no different to a lot of others. I think the newer they are the more resistant to tears, using sealant. If tubing them, they should be good unless you rie a lot of sharp rock. Tread puncture wise they hold up well. Larsons in my experience are a little more predictable in cornering especially when worn, but on the rear it's not an issue for me.