Thread: Reality check

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Reality check

I am toying with the idea of a new build a carbon (or a light Alu.) lightweight. I like 26 inch wheels and the idea single speed frame with an IGH. Not looking to spend rohloff $. The Idea is a is a 3-5 speed weight weenieish bike that is simple to maintain. How difficult is it to work with a single speed style frame and a rear disk? Are there rocker style dropouts in light weight frames? This would be my first build and have not had an IGH since 92. I am 200-210 pounds with gear and I ride hard. While a simple easy to maintain bike appeals to me. Will an IGH stand up to a heavier rider and some pedal mashing? I don't think straight single speed will work for me, I do not get to ride as often as I would like and things get steep around here. I have also thought a little about Hammer Schmidt but done little research so far. I understand the are heavy and fit limited bottom brackets, the cost is also a bit much. If I go that route the dropout style becomes less important so long as I can use a rear disk. Is this a doable idea or am I up in the night? If you have done a build this style for the same reasons please share info about the bike.

singlespeed smash brother
    Just run an Alfine 8. Cheap and have a good record off road. Most 3 and 5 speed hubs are lower quality and weigh the same anyhow. As for frames niner have a nice but very pricey light weight carbon frame with rocker dropouts like you see on the salsa frames . On-One is another carbon frame brand, Their whippet frames are for 26" and really cheap these days. I'm not sure they have swap outs like their 29er frame though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinboy View Post
    Just run an Alfine 8.
    +1 - Alfine 8 is a reasonable low cost option.

Skip the Hammerschmidt. Expensive. heavy and lots of drag in the high range.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - Alfine 8 is a reasonable low cost option.

Skip the Hammerschmidt. Expensive. heavy and lots of drag in the high range.
    Agreed on both counts.

The FSA Metropolis Patterson is a more reasonably priced option and has slightly better high gear efficiency than the Hammerschmidt, but then you are limited to a 68mm BB frame, and the crank arms aren't rated for off road.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Agreed on both counts.

The FSA Metropolis Patterson is a more reasonably priced option and has slightly better high gear efficiency than the Hammerschmidt, but then you are limited to a 68mm BB frame, and the crank arms aren't rated for off road.
    Not to mention the Hammerschmidt requires ISCG tabs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Heard lots of bad about the Hammerschmidt now. The FSA not being rated for mtn is a turn off with the manufacturer stating the crank arms are not rated for mountain scares me, a few things on my bike I never want to brake the crank arms are on that list. Thank you all for the ideas and input.