Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There's a bike store near me here that does IGH and Rohloff only.

They have amazing to look at bikes and mainly go with idWorx.

Talking with the guys there about belt drive once we got onto this subject. They showed me a news paper clipping from Germany saying that the original Rohloff's still are working and some have well over 17,000km on them.

So if you ask the guys at: http://www.fietsenkoen.be

They will swear up and down by Rohloff and never go Alfine...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownrl View Post
    the original Rohloff's still are working and some have well over 17,000km on them.
    That should be 170,000kms...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No problems with Rohloff after a lot of km's ...Alfine some problems.

I barf on top tubes
    agreed... Three rohloffs here..only oil changes on them, and a cog or two. You can save money now, or save money later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Alfine let down by 2nd gear

Had a rohloff for over 7 years and no problems in xc use. Alfine, I've had for around 300 miles and it works well in all gears unless going up steep hills and that is where 2nd gear becomes flakey, sometimes it just does not "take" and seems to put you in a lower or higher gear with strange sounds and portends of impending failure. Even with special care to back off pressure 2nd gear is the achilles heel of the Alfine 11. My ratios are 20T rear 39T chainwheel. Maybe it will get better with age?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    If only rholoff would make a trigger shifter...
    That (along with the price, but the sooner you start using a Rohloff, the sooner you get to stop buying new drivechain parts (vs. derailleur set-up)) was my main objection to the Rohloff.

In the end, I decided the ability to run a QR rather than bolted axle won the day. (mine's on a fat bike primarily bought for remote expedition riding).

Since then, I've begun to get used to the Twistgrip on local singletrack and while we'll never be soulmates, I'm at least on 'speaking terms' with it ;-)

Tom

PS - no-one's mentioned that this years Tour Divide was won by a Rohloff equipped bike (and it's rider, obviously).

singlespeed smash brother
    Just thought I'd update this thread after 2 years riding my rohloff. It is a great bit of kit and I really like it. Maintenance wise I change the oil, chain, cog and chan ring each year. It's really smooth now. I've done everything on it attached to my 26" wheeled ti HT, from long haul bike packing, BC bike race and dirt crits. Having recently had the chance to ride a modern deraileurs bike I'd have to say for racing deraileurs would be my preference where mud wasn't a factor. They are just so light and have less drag than the the rohloff. For long haul rides and general trail work horse riding I love it for just working solidly whenever I grab the bike. I now have a dualie with an Alfine 8 for more aggressive riding. I like my bikes to be as maintenance free as possible since I can't throw heaps of money at them and both the rolhoff and A8 do so very nicely. The A 8 is shifts nicer than the rohloff but is more temperamental and likes to emit the occasional worrying crunchy noise. I like the gear spacing on the rolhoff much better than the A8 .
    Down the track I'll be adding a light weight deraileur drive train race bike to my stable.
    Last edited by shwinboy; 04-19-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3