Cheesiest

Race-worthy 3-spd IGH: Crowdsourcing?

I've been pining for a Rohloff-quality 3 speed hub for a while now. It seems like its not a technological or engineering hurdle to developing one, but rather financial.

I'm thinking that something like the Sturmey CS-RK3 with a centerlock disc adaptor would have the widest market appeal. That way it could be run as 3x whatever. My personal preference would be for a 3 or 5 speed with a SS-style freehub like Hope or King hubs to minimize dish.

Anyone think a crowdsourced funding scheme could make this happen?
    Last edited by intheways; 05-07-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    May 2005
    While there are plenty of niche market bike products, I think the niche is just too small for this one.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Why bother???? There are decent 8+ speed hubs available and if you can survive with the limited range of a 3 speed you may as well just HTFU and run SS! You could always buy an Alfine 8 (which has a centerlock mount) and ignore the extra 5 gears - this would be way cheaper and easier than trying to get something with such limited appeal made.

Cheesiest
    Reliability, weight and cost. There are decent 8+ speed hubs, but not great ones other than a Rohloff. The design work is all done. Setting up the manufacturing is the main hurdle. It would be nice to have a gear for flat, up, and down.

BTW-I currently am riding an SS setup.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    as much as I don't like the idea, would just using a triple chainring and single cog do the job for you?

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    as much as I don't like the idea, would just using a triple chainring and single cog do the job for you?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about it, but it wouldn't allow me to use Gates drive. I've also considered a Schlumpf, but can't find a good ratio to use.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I'd go in on this. I have Rohloff and a SS bikes that see about the same number of miles, but if there was a quality 3 speed with about half the weight of a Rohloff and widely separated gears (say 25, 50, and 75 gear inches for my preferred 29er setup) I would end up with just one mountain bike.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about it, but it wouldn't allow me to use Gates drive. I've also considered a Schlumpf, but can't find a good ratio to use.
    ahh...I thought about schlumpf as well but will probably never go there. Was the range just not enough?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    If you were to produce such a thing, people would complain that the gear spread spacing isn't what they wanted.

Cheesiest
    Range is either too much (mountain speed) or I can't get it low enough (speed drive).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I absolutely want a MTB with a simple + reliable 3 or 5 speed hub. I wanted to buy the CHARGE DUSTER 8, but I missed out on it. Now CHARGE discontinued the bike, bugger!

I cycle for transport only, not for sport, but Australian roads are so bad, my commuter bike is taking a beating over all those curbs, footpaths and all the stupid hurdles the government places onto the roads. I really want a MTB but there is no way I will ever go back to those unreliable derailers that always fail, need to be adjusted, chain coming off, etc.

My 3 speed hub never fails. It's light years more comfortable to drive than an SS and hardly ever I feel the need for a bigger gear. I just want it on a mountainbike with a solid frame and front suspension so I can jump over all the hurdles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Okay, this is officially a weird thread. Alfine 8 hubs seem to offer bulletproof reliability, are very definitely Gates belt compatible, are readily available and reasonably priced. There are at least 4 different styles of shifters available too: trigger, twist, bar-end and road brifter. No, they're not made in Germany and no, they don't cost a bomb but otherwise I really cannot see any problem for the uses stated. If you guys really think the gears are too close together (?!?), just move the lever a bit further...

The last post is very strange. I live in Sydney, Oz, and while I'd never say motorists here are at all considerate, I've commuted for many years and never broken any derailleurs or had to ride over curbs or other barriers/obstacles. Must be a troll, IMHO, and not of the Surly variety.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Alfine 8 hubs seem to offer bulletproof reliability, are very definitely Gates belt compatible
    It's tough to get these two to play nicely on an MTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ That's not the impression I get from numerous posts in the IGH thread and elsewhere. Some people have had problems with the Alfine 11, but I don't recall seeing anything other than very isolated reports of issues with the 8 speed, and then only when extremely low input ratios were used. Gates offer cogs specifically intended for the Alfine hubs, and they wouldn't do that if they thought the hubs were likely to fail and cause them problems.

Everything can be broken - it's just a matter of how hard it is to do. Rohloff are quite insistent that input ratios do not go below a certain point (now 2.1:1), and in theory will not warranty hubs when this limit is ignored.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    It's tough to get these two to play nicely on an MTB
    Do it! I used a Profile Racing crank for my Alfine equipped fatty. Set up almost any chain line (belt line?) you can imagine.

But then, that kind of kills the whole weight concern. Profiles are heavy.

I know what you mean though. I don't like fretting about using too low an input ratio on my Alfine. I'd rather have a hub with fewer, broader steps: one granny hole, two would be approximately a conventional SS ratio, three would be for going fast.

Some of us would like to SS but have sissy knees. I'm an angry person but apparently not angry enough for SS.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi Drew, just looked at your pix and noticed you have drop bars, so am wondering how you like the levers, whether you have an Alfine 8 or 11, and what the input ratio is.

(My knees and local area are also not suitable for SS.)

Thanks!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Hi Drew, just looked at your pix and noticed you have drop bars, so am wondering how you like the levers, whether you have an Alfine 8 or 11, and what the input ratio is.

(My knees and local area are also not suitable for SS.)

Thanks!
    No I don't, at least not for MTB.

Alfine 8.

39:24.

If you want to buy some Versa levers at 60% off just to see, send me a PM. I'm using a Jtek bar end shifter for my touring duties currently, and conventional trigger shifters / flat bar on the fatty.
    Latitude: 44.93 N