mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Questions about mystery component and anti-rotation washers on T3 hub

Hi,

I bought a couple of wheels of eBay for my project bike - they were previously fitted to a mountain bike. The front has a SRAM VTR drum brake hub and the rear has a SRAM T3 3 speed drum brake hub (H3125) I think. They seem like late nineties vintage - the T3 still has a pullchain and not a clickbox, but it's definitely SRAM not SACHS.

Anyway, there's a component I don't recognise. It's on both sides, just inboard of the retaining (anti-rotation) washer on the axle.

Questions about mystery component and anti-rotation washers on T3 hub-retaining-washer-brake-side.jpg

It's the extra washer (with the threaded part and nut attached, and the crescent shaped piece) which I can't identify.

Questions about mystery component and anti-rotation washers on T3 hub-retaining-washer-drive-side.jpg

It doesn't appear in any of the SRAM schematics so I was wondering if anyone knew what it was?

Also, in the SRAM installation guide, it says that the teeth on the retaining (anti-rotation) washer should face outwards at the dropout, but the picture has the teeth facing inwards (towards the dropout), and this is how they are mounted on the axle of my hub as well. I wondered if this was just an error of translation from the German, so would value any other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Al

Questions about mystery component and anti-rotation washers on T3 hub-retaining-washer-instructions.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looks like a chain tensioner to me. For horizontal drop-outs/track ends?