mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Question about gearing set-up for Pugsley with Alfine 8-spd

Hmmmm. I must have suffered a brain fart as I was placing my order for my components. I ordered a 34 tooth chainring and a 23 tooth rear cog for my Pugs w/Alfine 8-spd. That isn't as low as the 32/23 that some fat bikers are running for loaded adventure touring.

34/23 is 1.48
    32/23 is 1.39

That's about a 6.4% difference in the amount of input effort. Does anyone here have any experience comparing the "feel" of those two ratios? Would I even feel much difference between the two? Chainrings are easy to swap out, so I know that I am not doomed to living with the 34 tooth ring.

I'll be riding my Pugs only lightly loaded at first, mainly on the beach, so I'm going to try out the 34 tooth chainring, since it has already shipped (stuff due here in a couple of days). I'm thinking that maybe I should order a 32 tooth chainring, especially if I'm going to do any touring.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rear cogs are also easy to swap out & cheaper than chain rings - a 24 tooth cog is available, but a bit less common & 34/24 is 1.41

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    Rear cogs are also easy to swap out & cheaper than chain rings - a 24 tooth cog is available, but a bit less common & 34/24 is 1.41
    Thanks. I'm even thinking of just returning the 34 tooth as soon as it arrives, and ordering the 32 tooth. I need to "frame save" the new Pugs frame as soon as it arrives, and let it dry. By the time I have the bike built, the new chain ring should have plenty of time to get here.

But what I want to know is: Is there is a significant enough difference between the two ratios for it to be a concern? If so, I might just keep the 34 if I find myself regularly riding the 1.5 miles along the shoulder of the hwy here to get to one of my favorite beach accesses. The 34 tooth ring will get me there faster!

The highway is a drag strip along there, and the less time spent cycling on it the better! That's just to get to the access for heading north along 4 miles of excellent beach where motor vehicles are prohibited from April 15th thru Labor Day. Seems kind of ridiculous to throw the bike on my car just to go 1.5 miles to an access, but it always freaks me out to have large P/U trucks blasting by at 60mph+ only a foot away from my left elbow. I will never get used to that! (Also, we have far too many meth heads,heroin addicts, drunks, cellphone yakkers & texters, and oldies on meds driving around here. ).
    Last edited by PlutonicPlague; 01-31-2014 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Turns out that I forgot to order a Mr Whirly spider (thought it came with the Mr Whirly crankset, for some odd reason. My bad!) in my original parts order. I am returning the 34 tooth chainring, and maybe the 23 cog. Universal has a decent return policy.

I ordered a 26 tooth chainring and an 18 tooth cog, and some other stuff, which should arrive tomorrow.