mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Pinion Gearbox Frames

I am thinking of selling my Salsa El Mariachi Ti with the Rohloff speedhub to start working on my next project; a Pinion-equipped expedition bike.

Who makes Pinion-compatible frames? I really like the El Mariachi geometry and if it was feasible (and it's not) I'd pay to have the frame modified for a Pinion. (Is this possible?)

What do you guys think about the Pinion? I also want to use a belt drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I was initially opposed to Pinion but came along with the idea to own one until .....I discovered you cannot shift them under load. I charge large grades as fast as possible then shift to easier gears as the grade builds. Deal breaker for me. Both eTap and DI2 XT shifts fell under big loads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Carver makes most of their Ti frames available with pinion drives.

Ventana has a couple options.

Tout Terrain (through Cycle Monkey) has several models, mostly touring oriented but there is a 27.5+ MTB.

The Viral Skeptic is Ti and built around the pinion drive (I think this is the former owner of Niner).

The Zerode Taniwah is pinion and FS but I don't believe belt drive compatible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pinion has a pretty extensive list of bike brands that are building bikes/frames using their gearbox.
    https://pinion.eu/en/bicycle-manufacturers/
    BTW, I have a Zerode Taniwha and have been riding it for the past year.
    Yes, you can't really shift to an easier gear while under load, but you can make a shift, or multiple gears very quickly and can immediately go back to full power. Given that you shouldn't really be shifting gears with a derailleur while under load, I don't see this as too much of an issue. It does take some saddle time to get use to the differences in shifting, but as you have experience with the Rohloff, I would think it will come pretty easy for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JackP42 View Post
    Pinion has a pretty extensive list of bike brands that are building bikes/frames using their gearbox.
    https://pinion.eu/en/bicycle-manufacturers/
    BTW, I have a Zerode Taniwha and have been riding it for the past year.
    Yes, you can't really shift to an easier gear while under load, but you can make a shift, or multiple gears very quickly and can immediately go back to full power. Given that you shouldn't really be shifting gears with a derailleur while under load, I don't see this as too much of an issue. It does take some saddle time to get use to the differences in shifting, but as you have experience with the Rohloff, I would think it will come pretty easy for you.
    It took me about a week to get used to the Rohloff shifting. Since I won't be riding singletrack with this thing being able to shift under load is not a big issue. I had no trouble shifting on the Tour Divide and, in fact, being able to shit to a lower gear while stopped was incredibly useful on some of those long, endless climbs.

My only objection to the Rohloff (and it was a minor one) was that I sensed more drag than with a derailleur setup. I was not prepared for it because most of my training was in gears 1-7 but I ended up in the lower gears a lot more in the race (that have more drag).

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    My only objection to the Rohloff (and it was a minor one) was that I sensed more drag than with a derailleur setup.

What's The Difference In Speed Between Gearbox Systems? Rohloff, Pinion, Shimano - CyclingAbout
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Who makes Pinion-compatible frames? I really like the El Mariachi geometry and if it was feasible (and it's not) I'd pay to have the frame modified for a Pinion. (Is this possible?)
    In addition to the usual suspects, Moonmen in Fort Collins, CO recently built a Pinion Ti frame that almost had me pull my credit card out as soon as I saw it.

#M42 — Moonmen

I don't have any experience with the Pinion yet, but there is a good chance my next bike will have one. I've been riding an Alfine 8 for the last 10 years, and while it still works great (only on the second overhaul), I keep thinking "what's next?"

mtbr member
    I would love a 130mm pinion bike with a 140mm fork in the less than 30 pound range.