mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Paring a used Rohloff speed hub with a belt drive system to build a commuter?

I may have the opportunity to buy a fairly new Rohloff 14 speed speedhub from a buddy. I'd like to make a trouble-free commuter with a belt drive that doesn't get grease on my pant leg.

If I find an appropriate frame (which I guess needs to be able to accommodate the belt), how hard would it be to build a bike that would pair the rohloff with the Gates belt drive? Can I order a custom frame, and if I did, can mere mortals put it together?

I guess I'd pair it with disk brakes for simplicity.

mtbr member
    Some stuff here from a local rider with a Rohloff and belt drive.

mtbr member
    Check out Cycle Monkey...they have it all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
    I may have the opportunity to buy a fairly new Rohloff 14 speed speedhub from a buddy. I'd like to make a trouble-free commuter with a belt drive that doesn't get grease on my pant leg.

If I find an appropriate frame (which I guess needs to be able to accommodate the belt), how hard would it be to build a bike that would pair the rohloff with the Gates belt drive? Can I order a custom frame, and if I did, can mere mortals put it together?

I guess I'd pair it with disk brakes for simplicity.
    Sounds like a cool project. Give us a call and we can walk you through some of the compatible frames, custom options, and other ideas. (510) 868-1777 or info@cyclemonkey.com
    www.CycleMonkey.com
    Rohloff & Schlumpf gearing. Custom wheels. Suspension service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Having had a belt drive Rohloff hub bike for about 3-4 years now. You HAVE to have a perfectly strait belt line. You will have to shim the front sprocket to do this. Also a Rohloff "snubber" helps. Cycle Monkey sells those. Basically it is a guide that bolts to were your der. went and keeps the belt from skipping/popping. Also it is advisable if you use slider type drop outs that way you can set your yaw up on your hub to keep the belt tracking right. If your in the New Orleans area I can help you set up your bike.

Tim