On MTBR hiatus :(

OT: Quick video of Speedhub wheel build...

Just stumbled across this video on Xtracycle's Vimeo page. It's of Neil of CycleMonkey building up a Speedhub in all of about a minute and a half. Not real time? Oh, ok, now I don't feel so bad about my build times...

http://www.vimeo.com/3824984
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That wuz cool. Me, about 15 minutes to lace it, and about 15 minutes to true it. Now, I was really lazy and bought the correct length spokes (same length both sides for Rolly). I saved a step on old Neil there! lol

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMTBfreak
    That wuz cool. Me, about 15 minutes to lace it, and about 15 minutes to true it. Now, I was really lazy and bought the correct length spokes (same length both sides for Rolly). I saved a step on old Neil there! lol
    My biggest slowdown is aligning the dang valve stem hole with the hub's logo -- further complicated by the oil drain plug on the Speedhub. Don't know why I bother, but it's "good practice" so I do it. 3x or Speedhubs, usually no problem. But once I'm down to 2x on other hubs or even 1x (upcoming Nuvinci build) I don't have a Zinn or Rohloff lacing guide to use. Common sense saves the day but takes a few minutes to engage the proper gears. I imagine it becomes something close to automatic for somebody who laces wheels on a regular basis.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN