Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you have steep climbs you will pay for it dearly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, steep climbs on a tandem are already a grind, it's part of ridin a tandem.

But can I meet my low end requirements or better yet, can I beat them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Eh... it won't be nearly as low 22/34. Maybe more like 32/36

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So, there is "no way" to gear the NuVinci low enough to equal a 22/34 or it's just outside the warranty parameters?

What's the lowest anyone has tried??

I know there's a snow/sand bike running pretty low gears and not having problems...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There's a way: just change the gearing, but, yes, you'll void the warrantee. I don't what the lowest is that anyone has gone. I do know that people have gone lower, but there are other issues. The whole gearing issue is to prevent the hub from being over-torqued, from what I understand. Seems like a tandem would also increase the torque. In fact, just using the hub in a tandem voids the warranty unless it's specifically approved beforehand. I love the Nuvinci hub, but I'd think twice about using one in a way that could over-torque it, especially when you're stacking up situations that could over- burden the hub.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

mardano sobre ruedas
    Hi!

What do you think about this offers and seller? Is it frecuently or a very rare offer??

Nuvinci N360 Internal Gear Bicycle Rear Bike Hub Silver 32 H 6 Bolt Disc Brake | eBay

They sell it without cog and this "NOTE: 2012 Model, not Gates compatible" What is this?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

NuVinci N360: Amateur Review

My guess is that the hub was changed slightly in recent years to accommodate the Gates belt drive. I'm assuming "slightly" because they're still using the N360 designation and because I have 2 hubs. One was from the seller you link to and was designated as the 2012 model, and one was direct from Nuvinci with no mention made about production year and Gates drives. The only difference I could notice between the two hubs was a slight change in how the shifting mechanism attaches to the hub. My hub was pretty much the exact same deal last December, although I was able to get a 36 spoke, rim brake model. I don't know how often that kind of deal comes along, but shortly after I got my hub, they were no longer being offered at that price. I'm guessing that there's a certain number of the 2012 model floating around that someone is willing to let go cheaply so that they don't have to keep distinguishing between the two models. Given that only certain configurations are available at that price, it could mean they are getting scarce. But similar deals will probably appear the next time the hub is updated, whenever that is. If the model being offered suits your needs, I'd say grab it, because that's exactly what I did, and I had no problem with that seller, or with my hub. Also, I think my hub also said it came without a cog, but actually had a 16 or 18 tooth cog in the box.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That's quite the deal. The difference is the freewheel. The newer models have a silver freewheel that can accommodate the Gates cog. The older black freewheels cannot.

Dinner for wolves
    Wow. That is a deep discount. Come to papa, NuVinci!
    Responds to gravity

mardano sobre ruedas
    Thanks for the information!

New questions:

- chain line for nuvinci360? I think is about 50mm (middle ring on a shimano crankset) but i would like to confirm it
    - Cogs (no Gates) are screwed or splined?
    - what is the Gates drive?

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Wow. That is a deep discount. Come to papa, NuVinci!
    Hot damn! There is a Hong Kong seller blowing their stock out for $69 each. Zero feedback, so caveat emptor.
    Responds to gravity

mardano sobre ruedas
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Hot damn! There is a Hong Kong seller blowing their stock out for $69 each. Zero feedback, so caveat emptor.
    Please, link xDD (PM if you prefer)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I brought it from the same seller($150) and got mine in a couple days. Good seller. It was $200 for a while and they recently change to $150 price. I guess if you are willing to wait a bit longer, they might drop below $150. I think the the HK seller($70) is fake, their listing got taken off by ebay and they used the same pic from the $150 seller.
    -as for chainline, it shouldn't be a problem with the granny gear or the big chain ring, but you can also adjust your chainline if you have external BB by add and subtracting shims.
    -Cog is splined
    -Gates drive is a belt drive system that require a special frame

I'm in the process of building the wheel, just deciding if i should build it myself or have my LBS do it. It will be laced to a mavic xm819 tubeless 26" rim.

mardano sobre ruedas

Re: NuVinci N360: Amateur Review

I bought it! Now i have to buy rims spokes, etc but i got the most important item.

Chainline is 49mm fallbrooks confirmed to me

Spud State Rider
    Just picked up a used pugs off e-bay with the n360 hub. Kind of a blind purchase but what the hell...... LOL. The hub intrigued me and thought worst case I could always swap out the rear wheel and go back to standard setup.

I took the bike up to the local mountains for the first ride yesterday. My feelings are the hub has somewhat of a narrow range low to high and that the resistance added at low end of the range was significant. That was the most disappointing aspect for me as we have to do a lot of climbing around here. I will say it added significantly to the workout level though....lol. I am thinking about trying a double chainring setup to see if I can broaden the range a bit. Though I suspect that will probably exceed the recommended range.

It is a neat concept and I liked the way it felt at anything other than say the lowest 1/4 of the range. Will give it a few more rides as is before I make any changes though. The guy who sold it said he only put 75 miles on it so maybe there is still some break in period to do and perhaps things will loosen up a bit in low?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    It is a neat concept and I liked the way it felt at anything other than say the lowest 1/4 of the range. Will give it a few more rides as is before I make any changes though. The guy who sold it said he only put 75 miles on it so maybe there is still some break in period to do and perhaps things will loosen up a bit in low?
    I've used these hubs since they were first available and made the same observations as you.

It won't loosen up with time. You're thinking of mechanical teeth wearing together, whereas this is driven by non-Newtonian fluid.

If they could figure out the low end efficiency and broader range, I'd be happily running an improved hub.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I've used these hubs since they were first available and made the same observations as you.

It won't loosen up with time. You're thinking of mechanical teeth wearing together, whereas this is driven by non-Newtonian fluid.

If they could figure out the low end efficiency and broader range, I'd be happily running an improved hub.
    Ah good to know.....thx. Yea love the concept just not quite there yet for my type of riding. Still may try a double chainring up front though before I give up on it.

Spud State Rider
    Went for my 2nd ride on the pugs w n360 hub today. I have to say I feel a bit better about it now. Instead of shifting all the way into low and staying mainly seated on longer climbs I tried just going to the middle of the range and standing more. That actually worked out really well for the most part. The only time I really felt the hub resistance strongly was on a couple of short steep pitches where my cadence dropped and I was really pushing hard on the pedals.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5