mtbr member

Noob to gearing with questions

Well not exactly a noob but don't know all the numbers right off hand. I'm getting a mukluk as something with that size tire has been something i thought would be cool for the last 30 or so years and also think it would be cool to put something like an alfine 11 out back. could someone fill me in on how much different the ratio's would be and also would the chain tensioner have enough room to run a double up front ?Or would i even need it? Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!

mtbr member
    The Alfine 11 internal ratios are here .

What overall ratios you end up with depends on what chainring and sprocket sizes you use, but just multiply the primary ratio by the internal ratio and there you have it.
    With an overall range of 407% I'd think that the hub would have a big enough gear spread without having to think about messing around with two chainrings?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I ride a fat bike and I find that the Alfine 8 is just a little too narrow for gearing - I'm using 39x24, and it is a barely adequate granny gear, and on a straigtaway, I can sometimes spin out the tall gear.

I think the jump up to 11 would be all right, two chainrings wouldn't be necessary.

You do realize that a Mukluk will not accept an Alfine, yes? The Mukluk 135mm adapter is for quick release axles, only.

You might want to think about a Pugsley or a Moonlander frame.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I ride a fat bike and I find that the Alfine 8 is just a little too narrow for gearing - I'm using 39x24, and it is a barely adequate granny gear, and on a straigtaway, I can sometimes spin out the tall gear.

I think the jump up to 11 would be all right, two chainrings wouldn't be necessary.

You do realize that a Mukluk will not accept an Alfine, yes? The Mukluk 135mm adapter is for quick release axles, only.

I agree. I was running the Nuvinci on a Pugs and just laced up an Alfine 11. Much, much better. The Nuvinci has significant internal loses and the "gearing" is too narrow. The frictional loses are hard to quantify but definitely noticable and a little annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post

didn't know about the 135 adapter would think something else could be done yes?

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Schlick Cycles takes a alfine just fine and its a excellent bike. I am running a alfine 8 and I really like it, riding the beach I have plenty low enough gear. I did not get to try it out much in the snow never got that much this winter in Wisconsin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob to gearing with questions-getinline.jpg  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    didn't know about the 135 adapter would think something else could be done yes?
    You could get a custom bike done as mentioned so far, or get a Fatback:

Finally! Pic of new Fatback dropout
    Latitude: 44.93 N