mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Nexus Redline gear indexing

I have a SS cross bike (horizontal dropouts) that is now running a 8 spd Nexus with Jtek dropbar shifter and I just swapped out the rear cog from 19T to 16T. I changed the gearing because I plan to do some group rides on pavement soon (= more speed) and I currently wasn't using gears 1,2 much. I couldn't increase the front ring because I'd have no tire clearance.

My scenario is since I swapped the cogs, the wheelbase of the bike has lengthened just enough that the shifting cable is tighter and has screwed up the shifting. My barrel adjuster doesn't have enough travel to allow the yellow marks to align (4th gear) and I really don't want to adjust the cable clamp(nut) on the hub every time I make a gearing change.

I can get the yellow marks to align on 5th gear though. Since I can quickly use the barrel adjust to align the yellows on 5th gear, I'll lose 1st. My question is: Will I have the rest of the gearing without issue? It seems that the gears engage but just not as crisply as before.

Thanks

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's a new shifter cable and housing, 5 bucks?

Spend some money, instead of trashing the internals of your hub........

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well that's the thing.

If it's a linear gear indexing then I have gears 2-8 available and I can swap cogs as needed. If the gear indexing is incremental as in the hub needs more cable to make a higher gearshift vs a low gear change, I'll spend the time to adjust the cable and commit myself to one cog for a long period of time.

It's about easy adaptability and the time it takes to do so not about being a cheap ass. I'm a lazy ass The less screwing around with the bike means less riding. Right now the hub is working. It's feels slightly hesitant when shift but doesn't make a sound or slip at all.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are you not running a full length of housing? You should be able to slide enough housing towards the wheel to give you the slack you need (unless you're running things really tight as I suggested in my other post).

If you're running a short piece of housing from your rear cable guide (on the frame) to the Alfine cable guide on the hub that is your problem. It was not designed to be set up that way. On my bike the piece would also have been crazily bent, and there would have been the exact issues you describe on your bike.

I suppose you might be OK doing things with the marks on 5th, but I'm not 100% positive. I seem to remember PVD (on the frame builders forum) saying something about the pull on each shift but I don't remember if it was all identical or not

Drew
    occasional cyclist