mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nexus coaster 135?

I have a customer who has an old Surly 1x1 w/o a rear disc mount. He wants a coaster brake hub that fits the 135 spacing and altho he prefers SS he's willing to go Nexus 3/7/8 if that's what it takes to get a coaster.

The problem I'm having is finding any coaster brake hubs w/ 135 spacing. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question but has anyone dealt with this issue successfully?

Help!

Thanks,

Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hmm. Velosteel SS coasters are available up to 130mm OLD, and the Surly's got a steel frame, right?

mtbr member
    This provides details on nexus hubs, and some have coaster brakes and different length axles. You might find something there.

Shimano

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Shimano doesn't seem to make the combo we're looking for but I'll look again. And I'll check out Velosteel, too. I can probably make the 130 work on the steel 1x1 but 135 would be best.

Has anyone reading this used a 130 hub in a 135 spacing for any length of time?

I know the Cross Check has 132.5 spacing and accepts 130 and 135, so maybe I can make the 130/135 spacing work until something better comes along.

Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    Has anyone reading this used a 130 hub in a 135 spacing for any length of time?
    Pat
    I've done that with a number of steel framed bikes and had no problems. I'd be happy doing with an aluminium frame too. 2.5mm each side isn't much. Edit: Woops, I've only done that with 135mm hubs in 130mm frame. Sorry for any confusion. (And can't seem to strikethrough the unwanted text)

Tim
    Last edited by Wombat; 09-27-2012 at 02:50 PM.