mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New SRAM G8 8-speed gear hub

Any news on this hub? I hear it is being tested by Specialized dealers i five countries as we speak.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2,188 grams and twist shifter? I was excited, but now not.

News: SRAM/ Specialized Urban Dealer Tour Kicks Off with World Premieres - Bike Europe

I guess we will see.

mtbr member
    New way of shifting? Every advance, no matter how small, is still a step forward. Can't wait to see it. More competition = higher quality and lower price from all competitors.

Productnews: SRAM to Target Urban Market - Bike Europe

The internal gear hubs will be launched around Eurobike, or a few months later. SRAMís 8 speed version of the internal gear hub called the G8 is being tested by several OEMs at the moment. One of the main features of the G8 will be the new way of shifting, which is completely different from the planetary hub and contains much less components. The G8 is SRAMís basis for a new approach to the internal gear market.

The G8 weights 180 grams less than SRAMís former 8-speed hubs while the OLD remains the same. The G8 is a joint development of former Sachs engineers and SRAMís experience with the Hammerschmidt project.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Since the disk version will be available later, the 2188g G8 is said to be 180g lighter than the IM9, and the latter weights 2.4kg with a coaster brake, I assume the version that is being tested now is with a coaster brake? Guess they are targeting citybikes/the OEM market with this product.
    Last edited by mtbmaniac; 06-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Frt Range, CO
    Still stinging from my SRAM IM9, suckiest IGH I've ever owned. Bought it early for full price, ~$450 with shifter. I wonder if the new SRAM 8 IGH will be as tough as an Alfine 8, otherwise, what will be the point?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In Danish:

"In this week's SRAM on European tour with dealers and distributors are
    presented for the upcoming season's news including Denmark. Last year at
    Eurobike proklamererde SRAM that during the coming year would focus heavily on
    daily segments including electrical bikes. One of the many news addressed to
    Urban segment SRAM G8. A new 8 speed hub is available in three versions, with
    freewheel, disc brake and foot brake. It comes in two colors black and gray. Yet
    there is no information released about the gear ratio and gear area. Gear shift
    is handled by an 8 speed grip shift shifters integrated optical gear indicator.
    We will tilbege multiple SRAM product news in the coming weeks."

In German:

"SRAM is launching a new 8-speed hub. We were able to test drive it on the Urban
    Tour of the manufacturer, was presented on the trekking circuit and the new
    group via GT with 2 ◊ 10-technique shortly.

"First, notice that the new SRAM G8 has a significantly larger than previously
    known hub of the I-Motion 9-speed hub. Like these, they will initially be
    available only in a version with coaster brake. While driving, the G8 is very
    quiet. The gearshift feel completely revised the twist is now crisp and defined,
    the distances are short circuit, the operating forces still so small as you'd
    expect from a Comfort controls - a significant improvement.

"Turn into a light step under load was no problem. The seven-speed jumps were
    smooth and relatively closely graded - a noticeable difference to the known
    8-speed hub. The overall transmission spectrum according to SRAM are slightly
    over 300 percent, which lie within the normal 8-speed hub. On our test bike was
    fitted a basic translation of 38 to 20 teeth (1.9), which is, according to SRAM
    in the lower range of acceptable grades. In order to cope with too steep slopes
    are at a comfortable cadence. The weight of the new eight-speed hub G8 should be
    approximately about 2.19 kilograms. Exact specifications, prices and availability
    are still unknown."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The G8 is up on the SRAM web site, but there's very little information. They claim it can be shifted under load.