http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=de&tl=en

- Shimano SG-S700
    - 11Speed
    - 409%
    - September 2010

Regards
    Otto

Rohloff
    Wow! I'm looking forward to that. I've got an Alfine 8 and a Rohloff. The Rohloff has a little too much range. I rarely find myself in the top few gears. The Afline 8 is fine most of the time but a little extra range would be nice. The Alfine 11 sounds just right. I hope they've made the steps between the gears more even.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link, that's fantastic news!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    More (new) details from the german website:

Price: about 300 - Euro (420$)
    Weight: approx 1600 grams
    Gear ratio: 409%
    Jumps: 2 x 17% and 8 x 13%
    Oil lubrication: 25 milliliters

Candlestick Maker
    This could be great...I wonder if it'll receive endorsement from Shimano for mountain bike usage...
    baker

Frt Range, CO
    I bet the SRAM marketing person in charge of promoting the i-Motion 9 broke down and cried

Quote Originally Posted by baker
    This could be great...I wonder if it'll receive endorsement from Shimano for mountain bike usage...
    I don't need an endorsement, I just need it to withstand mountain bike usage

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Will all the shifter options still suck? It is unlikely Jtek will be making a new model any time soon.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The oil bath lubrication is exciting news. That, in and of itself, should prove to be a great step forward.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Missouri Chubber
    Sep 2008
    OMG i can't believe shimano is moving a project such as this forward. An affordable version of the Rohloff with TRIGGER SHIFTERS. Now I HAVE to build that FS 29er i've been salivating over. Please post any developments in this direction. I have scanned the IGH forum for something like this for months. PLEASE let this hub enter production.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

"Affordable version of the Rohloff" is probably an overstatement, given Shimano's history to date. I hope it'll be as durable as the current Alfine, but for $400, doubt it'll measure up to the Speedhub's legendary reliability.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ah, this is perfect timing. I'l likely be picking this up for my commuter/bikepacking 29er setup. I've found my nexus 8 to be a little high for slogging up hills with a load, and I'm not really down for lowering the gear ratio below 2/1. Here is to hoping this version is as durable as the alfine 8 and nexus models..

mtbr member
    Excellent news!!! 25% more range, oil bath lubrication and the same weight. Where do I sign?

Mark

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    "Affordable version of the Rohloff" is probably an overstatement, given Shimano's history to date. I hope it'll be as durable as the current Alfine, but for $400, doubt it'll measure up to the Speedhub's legendary reliability.
    Nate I know what you're saying, but at 1/4 the price if it's even 1/3 as reliable it's a better deal in the end. Even at wholesale the Rohloff is more than I spend on non-consumables in 3 years, so the Shimano could really fill a spot for we cheap a$$es.

Oh, I don't disagree. Between my wife and myself, we have 4 Speedhubs, but I also have a Nexus 7, a Sram Spectro 7, an iMotion 9 and now a Nuvinci. Three of the Speedhubs I purchased used (and relatively cheap), without much concern or hesitation. But I'd never feel comfortable buying a use Sram or Shimano hub, unless it was incidental to a bike purchase.

All hubs have their place and I'm sure this new Shimano will be right up there. But I'll take the Speedhub's gear range and reliability off road at approximately 2x the price (used) vs. a new of the other. At least until the Alfine 11 hits the scene and proves itself reliable.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Frt Range, CO
    I was thinking some day I'd own a Speedhub, if this Alfine 11 turns out as nice as the Alfine 8, I don't think there'll be any reason to own one, esp for 3x the cost.

trail rat
    Bikerumor has a good writeup. Looks sweet, lighter, less rolling resistance, increased range. And the shifter looks awesome!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

emtb.pl
    I currently run an Alfine in a C'dale BadBoy and a Rolo in the Nomad2
    The thing I like most about the Alfine is the silence. It realy makes the BadBoy stealth.
    This year I'll switch the BadBoy for a Mojo and the A11 sounds just perfect as I was a tad worried if th A8 will do. It was just fine in a flatland/winter BadBoy but I plan a bit more for the Mojo as my Nomad will be replaced with something little more FR.
    Last edited by krolik; 02-06-2010 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    what is included in the weight besides the rear hub? cog? shifter? cables?

Quote Originally Posted by hellocook

what is included in the weight besides the rear hub? cog? shifter? cables?
    I would imagine just the hub, since the shifters, cog, cables and installation accessories are usually sold separately.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Looking forward to its intro to the US. Just spoke to my Shimano Dealer who says he'll look into getting me one sooner then later.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looking forward to the new Alfine 11 more than I can say. Very good news as I was contemplating another A8. I need the build specs so I can get my rim and spokes ready.

Here's the first hands-on test I've read of the new hub:

http://road.cc/content/news/13981-sh...-car-park-test
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Bike Dork
    Dammit, dammit, dammit. . . I had re-purposed my S3X funds for a Alfine 8, but now I'm thinking I may have to hold out for the 11.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i have been planning tu use a rohloff, but this alfine 11 looks like a promising alternative. sufficient range for me, less money, better cabling looks to me (as i understand just 1 cable on the drive side, may work with normal cable stops) and most important i can stick to rapidfire i am used to.

also looks like far less weight. 120g less for the hub, no additional external shifting box (-120g), no axle plate (-35g), just one cable with cable stopper (-100g). probably some extra weight for the shifer (+50g). alltogether close to 1lbs. less weight than rohloff and in combination with a belt drive i should be on par with a regular XTR set up ...

i assume centerlock disc brakes and normal spline shimano cog like for shimano cassettes. can somebody confirm? also, what is the best frame design for these hubs? i assume i also need a way to tighten the chain (or in my case belt drive)?
    Last edited by hellocook; 02-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast