Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New "Schwinn Approved" 2-Speed Kickback?

I saw 2 Cruisers on Schwinn's 2009 website that have New 2-speed kickbacks. Who makes these hubs, are they available aftermarket??? I think this would be great on my SS road bike, with a Big Azz Sturmey 90mm drum brake up front of course!

mtbr member
    Bendix and Sachs made them in the past. There is currently an NOS Sachs 2 spd on EBay. Cheers
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    i'm only familiar with the old bendix. well made, engineering masterpiece, easy to maintain(if you make the tool). one part wears out though, and when it does the hub won't shift.

no idea who makes the new one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm pretty sure the Bendix was the only 2-speed "kick-back" or "automatic". Well, I think Sachs made an "automatic", but I don't think it was a "kick-back". The shift spring on the Bendix didn't really wear out; the little tab on it bent out straight, and it wouldn't shift. The cog was integrated into the mechanism; and when it wore out, the hub was pretty much shot. I've never been a big fan of the "kick-back"; it was heavy, draggy, and just a bit fragile. I've got a couple of the REALLY old 2-speed manual-shift hubs.
    My guess would be that perhaps Sturmey-Archer(SunRace) or somebody else revamped the old Bendix design; since I'm pretty sure Bendix is out of business, and I imagine the patent has run out. It may be a bit different than the original Bendix, as are the new SA 3-speeds from their original counterparts. At this point I'm just speculating; I'll be stopping by my old shop this weekend, so I'll see if they have any of the bikes in, or at least any more details...

mtbr member
    it is heavy and there is some drag, but that's just part of the draw!!

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by prude
    ...and just a bit fragile....
    I road one for 3 winters in Iowa, heavy, draggy, maybe, but fragile? Not in my experience, just the opposite, I found 'em to be bulletproof. Any issues with old hubs I've had were always fixed with a good overhaul.

mtbr member
    yeah, had one on my urryday bike for years in wisco winters. Not Fragile!!!

Frt Range, CO
    Don't be hating on Bendix 2-speeds
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Don't be hating on Bendix 2-speeds
    Why do you hate the blue band hub???
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Frt Range, CO
    LOL, I never saw anything except 28H so I never picked one up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    LOL, I never saw anything except 28H so I never picked one up.
    I think they only came in 28-hole; for kids' bikes. The blue band consisted of a direct-drive gear and over-drive, where the red and yellow bands were direct-drive and under-drive.
    As far as their fragility; they don't hold up very long to aggressive shifting. Other than that, they're pretty bomb-proof. The lack of a shift cable makes for a nice, clean look...

mtbr member
    two speeds rule

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLazer
    two speeds rule
    Thank you for your pointed statement.
    Well, I talked to my old shop buddy last night, and it seems as if the two-speed is yet another Schwinn project that never materialized. Kind of like the belt-drive 3-speed cruiser of a few years ago; except that there WERE actually a few of those.
    Sounds like Sachs DID make a 2-speed kick-back, although VERY few ever made it to these shores...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So, do the parts for the old Bendix hubs have any value? My LBS has a huge drawer of Bendix parts from forever ago and they really will just sit there.

Frt Range, CO
    I don't think NOS parts are worth too much. There's plenty of stuff on ebay, nobody really wants Bendix hubs except old Schwinn cruiser restorers. The 2-speed was an option, lots of people didn't like the kick-back shifting. A NOS redband has buy-it-now for $100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you've got an old 2-speed kickback, I would at least stock up on a few of the shift springs.
    They don't have any parts for a 2-speed manual, do they?

Frt Range, CO
    prude, do you have any experience actully using these hubs, I mean riding them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fairly limited, but yes. I've overhauled them a few times when I worked at the Schwinn shop, and I've had several friends running them. They're really quite good, but I decided pretty early on, there, that they weren't quite my "cup-of-tea". I opted to get a couple of 2-speed manual hubs when they became available, but I haven't really decided what to do with them yet. Chances are, one of them will end up as an alternate rear wheel on my chrome cruiser; it's kind of a street-fighter, and it'd be nice to get the hole-shot...
    Bottom line is: They're obsolete. If you wanna run one, it would be prudent(no pun intended) to have some of the spare parts on hand; and I would avoid very hard use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sadly, the shift spring is one of the empty bins in the drawer. All sorts of other crap though.

mtbr member
    NOS SACHS Duomatic 2-speed kick-back hub.

36 hole. These were reportedly pretty robust. The main issue is the 110mm spacing - I don't have a frame for it yet, or it would have been laced up.

They also made an automatic shifting version, which had a centripetal weight sensor that would shift based on wheel speed. Last I checked, both version are available NOS, but they need to be overhauled (old resinified oil removed).

Frt Range, CO
    Fairly limited, but yes. I've overhauled them a few times... it would be prudent(no pun intended) to have some of the spare parts on hand; and I would avoid very hard use.
    I agree it's always nice to have spares, to say they can't take abuse isn't correct. I've been riding them since 1967 and don't agree with much you have to say about these hubs. I've never had anything fail yet, all the old ones I've overhauled (~100) have worked perfectly, I've never replaced a single part in any hub I've overhauled. My experience goes back to about 1975 overhauling them in a Chicago Suburban LBS, oldest hubs were the trigger shifters from the 50s . I suspect the failures you've seen are from inexperienced mechanics mashing the poor thing back together in frustration. It's always amazed me how most shop mechanics hate Bendix and Sturmey. Seems like most just want to work on high end fashion bikes and avoid the workhorses

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    NOS SACHS Duomatic 2-speed kick-back hub....
    I see it's wrapped in German language newspaper, did you get that from hubstripping? How much does it weigh?

red band Bendix = 1620gm

yellow band Bendix = 1700gm

mtbr member
    I see it's wrapped in German language newspaper, did you get that from hubstripping? How much does it weigh?

red band Bendix = 1620gm

yellow band Bendix = 1700gm
    1150gm, without cog & c-ring.

Marco (@ hubstripping) is the best source for these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oh, I wouldn't say I hate the old workhorses; Sturmeys are among my favorites. There are certainly eccentricities that "new-school" riders need to be aware of, though. The 2-speeds are hardly what I'd call a "masterpiece of engineering", even for the time.
    Pursuiter, it tickles me that you're at all concerned about the weight. ;>)

Frt Range, CO
    ...The 2-speeds are hardly what I'd call a "masterpiece of engineering", even for the time....
    subjective and hating on other people's stuff

I'm pretty sure the Bendix was the only 2-speed "kick-back" or "automatic". Well, I think Sachs made an "automatic", but I don't think it was a "kick-back".
    wrong

My guess would be that perhaps Sturmey-Archer(SunRace) or somebody else revamped the old Bendix design; since I'm pretty sure Bendix is out of business,
    wrong

Bottom line is: They're obsolete. If you wanna run one, it would be prudent(no pun intended) to have some of the spare parts on hand; and I would avoid very hard use.
    subjective and wrong

I've overhauled them a few times when I worked at the Schwinn shop
    IMHO, your knowledge of these hubs is minimal, passing judgement on other people's equipment esp without really knowing much about the subject isn't really contributing positive content.

Pursuiter, it tickles me that you're at all concerned about the weight. ;>)
    Look, it's clear you don't care for these hubs, why so much hating on folks that do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast