Thread: the new ride

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

the new ride

I have about 8 hours on it. The Alfine is awesome despite being a pig. I changed the gearing from 34 to 32 up front this morning. The back is a 20 tooth. Basically it gives me all the gears I'd ever want off road.

The 29er feels faster than my 26" but the rigid fork scares me if I'm wicking it open. I doubt I'll beat my 26" TT time without front suspension. Needless to say, the traction while climbing is excellent. The bike feels like it's on rails in the corners and I don't trust it yet because of riding 26ers all these years.

The frame is XL with a seat tube of almost 24" This is the first bike I've ever owned where I had to remove spacers from below the stem. No riser bars on this ride.

occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sweet ride! please update this thread occasionally. Like to hear how you keep liking the Alfine. And give the forks a chance, you may end up liking rigid

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

update

Alright, here's one. I just changed the cable routing to seatstay. It was dead easy, I just had to put a little bend in the cable mount on the 'cassette joint', in order to clear the chain. I switched the blue and green washers and it was done. I'm routing the cable right beside my hydraulic line for the rear brake. Makes for a nice clean installation. Shifting is exactly as before, just had to do a minor adjustment on the barrel adjuster.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice!

Goat of Legend
    Awesome Dru. Glad you got it all together. I just sold my carbon rigid and put the Reba back on. Big mistake. I'm actually looking at buying another carbon rigid to replace the suspension.

calma
    Shack

The ride looks - very sweet / very clean and simple.

Pics look pretty good.

If you are interested in a bash ring for the front let me know; I have a couple. It may add some weight, but will safe the chain on the rocks and logs.

Talk to you soon.

rob

Old, stale, negative
    Keep riding and using your body as your suspension. You will be just as fast as ever soon with the rigid.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

faster for a while

Thanks! I have picked up a lot of speed already. I knocked off 2 minutes on the 1st third of my local TT loop. The new bike climbs like a goat which is where I picked up the time. However when cranking up the speed in the 20 mph range the ride is very harsh. I'm not used to the pounding my forearms, hands, and wrists are taking. The last 15 minutes of the loop is extremely fast and mostly down hill. Yikes!! As a result, I was about 40 seconds slower than my best 26er hardtail time (1:17:00, for a 14 mile loop) last time because of fear and fatigue. I might back off the front tire pressure quite a bit more, and avoid the 3 rock gardens I like to crank through.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

29er/Alfine loving it

I did a personal best today for the 22 km loop that serves as our off road TT; 1:16:32 As I said in my last post I noticed I was faster in a few sections. Today I beat my previous 29er time by 68 seconds, also beating my last personal best (on a HT 26er) by 31 seconds. I didn't even feel good today, so I'm kind of surprised. My hands have some new blisters but my body seems otherwise to be adapting to the rigors of the rigid bike. I chased down a guy on a fully right at the start of the TT. He was giving it his all for about 5 minutes, and then gave up. I would have paid to see the look on his face as my seemingly single-speed rigid bike blew by him. He wasn't slow, I saw him behind me for a good ten minutes. It sure was fun!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

calma
    Quote Originally Posted by dru
    I did a personal best today for the 22 km loop that serves as our off road TT; 1:16:32 As I said in my last post I noticed I was faster in a few sections. Today I beat my previous 29er time by 68 seconds, also beating my last personal best (on a HT 26er) by 31 seconds. I didn't even feel good today, so I'm kind of surprised. My hands have some new blisters but my body seems otherwise to be adapting to the rigors of the rigid bike. I chased down a guy on a fully right at the start of the TT. He was giving it his all for about 5 minutes, and then gave up. I would have paid to see the look on his face as my seemingly single-speed rigid bike blew by him. He wasn't slow, I saw him behind me for a good ten minutes. It sure was fun!

Drew
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

update

I've had the Alfine for about 5 weeks now and have around 500 km on it. The shifting is exactly as the day it was new. The only real change is some chain 'stretch' from wear. I'm running a sram pg 830, nothing special. The modification to seatstay routing is still working perfectly too.

I crashed twice on a group ride the other day so the front Small Block 8 has to go. I was riding with some fast people and was pushing it more than the tire could take. The front just washed out on somewhat greasy hardpack, with pretty much zero warning. About 15 minutes later it did it again. I haven't liked the lack of traction since my first ride. I ordered a Maxxis Ardent today, many here seem to like it.

One of the crashes moved my right brake lever and scored my carbon bar a bit. I also chipped the clearcoat on the frame, but luckily not the paint. I'll be pulling the bar off tonight to buff out the scoring (it's shallow) so it doesn't form a stress riser.

I had to true up my front wheel a week or two back, although the back has been perfect. I'm guessing the rigid fork is hard on the front wheel. I'm running very low pressures too, as I've heard the rim (s) ping off rocks in the gardens a few times.

I almost forgot; the bike isn't quite as piggy as I thought. The digital fish scale at the shop shows it at 27.4 lbs, only a little more than my numbers from weight weenies.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Rockstar
    How I wish the Alfine hub was lighter. I would buy one without hesitation.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by forwardcomponents
    How I wish the Alfine hub was lighter. I would buy one without hesitation.

Don't let that stop ya. Feels heavy until you start riding, then I don't really seem to notice the weight. Yesterday ride was on the SART (Santa Ana River Trail)...has many quick ups and downs; the quick shifting really helps maintain momentum. Almost as much fun as my Singlespeed but without the spinout on the downs. My bike is a Niner One-9 with carbon fork, weighs 25.5lbs.

Dean

Rohloff
    I agree. The solid, quick shifting of an IGH outweighs the weight penalty. Unless you are scary thin, I recommend losing a pound or two of body weight and giving an IGH a try.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Another few weeks on the build. I've got somewhere around 30 hours on the bike. I did a group ride last night still running the Small Block 8 up front and had no issues with traction. It was bone dry, so maybe that's why I crashed a few weeks ago when it was 'greasy'. The hub is still working flawlessly so I have nothing to report really, except for chain wear and front chainring wear. What was funny was the fact the chain ring is only wearing on around 4 teeth in two different places. My guess is this is where there is maximum load on the cranks when I'm standing and grunting up a hill. I unbolted the ring and moved it one spot on the spider, to even out the life of the teeth. The natural chain wear was worrying me a bit since dropping a loose chain would absolutely destroy the 'cassette joint' on the hub. I also believe in leaving things alone so I was reluctant to mess around with the Bushnell EBB, to take up the slack in the chain. However, I noticed the odd click here and there a week ago which sounded like BB issues. This was confirmed by a short ride on Tues. where the BB was clicking on every revolution if I stood and mashed. So the other day I loosened off the EBB, slid it slightly out of the shell (with the cranks still installed), and cleaned it off as best I could. I reapplied anti seize to the parts, set the chain tension where I wanted it and re torqued the adjustment set screw. Everything is perfect once more. The last thing I'd report is the need to run stupidly low tire pressured with the rigid set up. I worry a bit for the rims doing this since I'm getting the odd PING from rocks, but it's the only way I can endure the pounding. I am slow, slow, slow otherwise. I'm guessing mind you, but I'd say 25 psi tops, front and back and I'm 180 lbs. I think it was a good idea spec'ing 36 spoke wheels.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone define "piggy"? My friend and I both have Speedhubs, and we are both interested in the Alfine. We have heard that the Speedhub adds 2 lbs more than a traditional drive train with those crappy D things. What's the Alfine and shiffty bits actually weigh? Compared to traditional? or to a Speedhub?

Candlestick Maker
    ...The natural chain wear was worrying me a bit since dropping a loose chain would absolutely destroy the 'cassette joint' on the hub...
    I've dropped the chain numerous of times on my Nexus and Alfine hubs and had no issues with damage to the 'cassette joint.' Not sure what the concern is here...
    baker

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's really good to know. I figured that if it fell off at the back and dropped to the outside it would shred the plastic bits and the cable. It's good to know it won't. Were you dropping chains at the rear or on the front ring?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    People have said 1900 with the cable and another 200 for the shifter. Here's my run down from weight weenies. I'd say my 24" Xl frame has to be 6 lbs, but I've never weighed it.

1200 tires Kenda SB8
    440 x 2 rims Salsa Delgado Race
    1900 hub Alfine
    200 shifter Alfine
    2700 frame XL El mar.
    180 front hub 36 hole XT
    450 cranks RS8 Middleburns
    400 pedals pd m 520
    300 bb Tange
    130 bar RF. carbon XC
    300 post Ritchey Comp
    170 stem Ritchey Comp
    125 king head set
    1100 fork El Mar rigid
    280 brake levers xtr
    450 calipers xtr
    200 rotors xtr
    135 seat Selle Italia slr
    80 nipples brass
    200 chain pg 830
    150 skewers salsa
    270 spokes dt double butted
    300 tubes

12100 (26.62)

27.4 lbs actual

Something's adding a few grams.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just found this on Hub Stripping:

For the full assembly consisting of hub, dust cap, inner chain guard, 20T sprocket w/outer guard, snap ring, driver cap, cassette joint, cassette joint fixing ring, 1 pr no turn washers, and 1 pr supplied shimano acorn axle nuts, the total weight is 1847 grams. Also, the shifter is not light at 223 grams for the shifter, cable, full length housing, and cable fixing bolt.

Total 2070 g

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Candlestick Maker
    That's really good to know. I figured that if it fell off at the back and dropped to the outside it would shred the plastic bits and the cable. It's good to know it won't. Were you dropping chains at the rear or on the front ring?

Drew
    both (not at the same time)...generally due to unbelievable mud/snow and my inattention to chain tension.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just found this on Hub Stripping:

For the full assembly consisting of hub, dust cap, inner chain guard, 20T sprocket w/outer guard, snap ring, driver cap, cassette joint, cassette joint fixing ring, 1 pr no turn washers, and 1 pr supplied shimano acorn axle nuts, the total weight is 1847 grams. Also, the shifter is not light at 223 grams for the shifter, cable, full length housing, and cable fixing bolt.

Total 2070 g

Drew
    Great info, but what a traditional 3 ring setup weigh so I know how it compares?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Lazy guy! Weight weenies is just a click away!

Assuming you want to spend some bucks and buy all XTR here's the difference.

The cranks weigh about what my middleburns do, but I'm running a really heavy BB.

fd 150
    rd 200
    cranks 780
    cass220
    hub 280
    shifters 220
    cables 75

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lazy guy! -925
    You got me there!

That over 2 lbs more... Although I wouldn't buy all XTR either. Can't afford that.

I have a Speedhub already, but I don't like how heavy that bike feels. I wonder if how much more or less the Alfine weighs compared to the Speedhub. Has that been posted in any thread yet?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ardent

Just tried out the Ardent 2.25 on the front. I was riding mostly dry trails that had a few mud holes here and there. The traction is much better than the Small Block 8 I was running. The tire is visibly bigger with much wider spacing between knobs. It rolls well, but not as well as the Kenda. However, I was quite aggressive a few times with the cornering and was quite impressed. The Alfine is continuing its worry free reliability. As for me, I'm slow of late from not riding enough. The summer has sucked with nothing but rain. So it goes.

Drew
    occasional cyclist