mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New to internal gears - what chain and chainring?

My Heckler Alfine build is complete but its my first internal hub and i am unsure about chains and chain rings. It currently has an 18t rear Alfine sprocket, a 38t e-13 front chain ring and a PG951 SRAM 9 speed chain.

I am thinking i should get a bmx / single speed chain?

What is the width measurement i need to look for on the width?

Also, the front ring, should i change it for a thicker ring as i may need a 34t anyway to get the gearing right?

Im confused!

mtbr member
    A BMX or singlespeed chain is better, but only if your chainline is 100% right.
    I'm not sure if a 9-speed chain fits on the Alfine sprocket. 7 or 8 speed chain does fit and can be used if your chainline is off.
    A "geared" front chainring can be used, but a singlespeed specific chainring is better, larger teeth, no shifting aids.
    I like the Surly stainless steel chainrings.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    8 speed (3/32) chain all the way. Forget the singlespeed (1/8) chains, the cogs are designed for 3/32 and a 1/8 will drop the chain.

I prefer the stainless chainrings, Surly, Salsa, though I currently run a Spot 7075 alum 34 tooth matched with a 22 tooth on the Alfine that has been holding up fine.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yeah, I second what the last two said. I ran Sram 9-speed chains for a few years when I was running 9-speed setups on other bikes, just so I'd only have to dick around with one style of chain, spare links, Power Links, etc. But I've switched over to Sram 8-speed and like to fool myself into thinking I get longer life and better reliability from them, even though I haven't really noticed a difference.

Besides Surly SS and Salsa chainrings, also look for Blackspire's DH rings. Burly aluminum with lots of sizes.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    hey SHN, is there a "primary ratio" limit for alfine-8 hubs? i mean chainring to rear cog ratio...i thought i read there was a limit to avoid overtorqueing the hub, but was unable to find it in the shimano online docs.

i am currently running 32-22 and overall range is very low. i need a granny gear for future touring, but also need a moderate flats cruising gear. i'm spinning out in 8th gear now. i'm thinking i need to move up to 34-35 tooth front.

anyway...blah blah blah...is there a primary ratio limit?

thx
    EDIT
    i read in another post there is an unofficial 2:1 recommendation, but lots of mtn bikers running 32-23 or 28-22 with not too much trouble.
    Last edited by bikecop; 03-02-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    the time is right for violent revolution

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop

i read in another post there is an unofficial 2:1 recommendation...
    That's what I came up with, too -- unofficial 2:1, from the forums and not Shimano.

I don't know for sure, but am probably rnning something close to this my a 700c road bike outfitted with a Nexus 7. But when I built up a 20" folder, I had to violate this ratio with a very large chainring in order to have usable gearing. I don't know how these recommended ratios are set without regard for wheel size.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Anyone run something like a 46-16 with any problems?
    Last edited by pushinpixels; 03-30-2010 at 07:03 PM.