mtbr member
    Jun 2006

new cassette needed or new LBS? or both?

Last edited by kwest10; 08-17-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: delete

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kwest10
    turned my bike in last week for a tune up and a problem with the rear cassette. In the middle gears, mostly #5, when I get up out of the saddle it'll jump teeth. Sometimes one sometimes from a crank 1 and 7 o'clock postition 180 degrees. KRRRRRRR-CHUNK!!!
    Took it to the shop, splained the situation and said it could be rear cassette. They tuned it and said it was fine. Took it out and same thing but only in #5 and happens in a 3 chain rings. Took a hard close look and some of the teeth look out of whack. Some bent in a bit more to either side. I'm guessing they didn't catch that since this is a "free" tune as part of their lifetime service if you buy the bike there. I had replaced the chain when it first started doing this and it didn't help. Front crankset is about a year old but the bike is 4.5 years. Derailures and cassette are the original Shimano LX's.
    Anyone? thanks. I'm a newbie
    First off... you're in the wrong forum. The "Drivetrain" forum would've been better.

But to answer your question... your cassette is worn out. The LBS probably did some cleaning and made some adjustments as part of the tune-up. I'm guessing that they didn't ride the bike, or if they did, they didn't impart enough power to the pedals to cause it to skip. The problem most likely got worse when you put the new chain on; the old chain had stretched and fit with your worn cassette better than the new chain did / does. But if it was skipping with the old chain, it's very, very worn out and needs to be replaced.

You should get a new cassette and you should also check your chain to make sure that it's still good. If you new(ish) chain has stretched too much, it will cause your new cassette to wear faster than it ought to. If you haven't been running it very long, chances are good that it's okay, but it's worth checking just the same.