Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nate, thanks for setting the story straight on the salty speedhubs.

Moose, glad to hear things are looking up. I guess I will add that to my list of questions whenever someone has a problem similar to yours.
    "Did your bike shop remove or loose the freewheel springs, and replace them with Hope Hub springs?"
    Interesting stuff. I wonder if the springs were tough enough to force the gear 1-7 clutch ring into the works or more specifically, it was forcing the clutch ring against the spacer, which pushed on the spacers shift pin, which actually caused the shift axle to twist and initiate half-shifts. Boy, that would be a first. I can't decipher the effects of having both the 1-7 clutch and the 8-14 clutch, both engaged at the same time (besides the 7-8 gear shift effect), but I guess the shift shaft being incrementally moved would be enough to start some half-shifts, and some of those double-clutch gear combos might enable a neutral output, or freewheeling. Looking forward to your update.

luh3417, that is actually good news, (and makes more sense) because your slipping low gears (4-6-7) are an exact mirror image of your slipping high gears (11-13-14). So now we can eliminate possible causes like the final reduction/drive output gearset (since it happens equally in hi/lo gears) the four shift pawls embedded in the axle shaft (because it happens in gears 4 and 11 which use no pawls) and the second clutch ring (the one inside the largest sun gear).
    From everything you have said, the common denominator is the clutch ring/spring on the sprocket side of the hub. This is the only component/area that is reliant on every slipping gear you have mentioned.
    So, some things to look at once the gearset is removed from the hub shell: (Be sure it is shifted to gear 4 before removal)
    1. Is the axle nut firmly fastened?
    2. Are the sprocket driver male splines correctly mated into ring gear 1 female splines?
    3. (After removing axle nut and sprocket driver) Is the clutch spring present and undamaged?
    4. Remove the clutch ring and inspect the clutch teeth for damage. Also look at the corresponding clutch teeth on the first visible sun gear. Do not remove that sun gear.
    5. Is the shift collar -AND- its pin in place?
    6. Can you slide the shift collar up and down the axle, or is it locked in place and only able to slide a short distance? It should be locked.

Don't remove anything else unless you know how to re-time the planet gears! Also, be aware that once the axle nut is removed, the hub will fall apart/out of timing if leaned over or dropped.
    I expect you should find the problem somewhere within the steps above. It sounds like you are loosing the ability to shift ring gear 1 into a 1:1 ratio with the first two sun gears, which it needs for gears 4-6-7-11-13-14 to function correctly. All other gears (1-2-3-5-8-9-10-12) do not need ring gear 1 to lock 1:1, but instead rely on the axle shift pawls, or the locking of ring gear 2 into a 1:1 ratio.
    Last edited by Climbercraig66; 02-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    To clear up my last post:

Keeping ring gear 1 in a 1:1 ratio (which is what your hub is NOT doing) relies entirely on spring pressure from the clutch spring. Releasing ring gear 1 from 1:1 relies entirely on the shifting collar/pin and it's relation to the shifting shaft. Your other functional gears are proof that the shift collar is performing as it should be, and it is successfully disengaging ring gear 1 from 1:1.

So, if I am understanding myself correctly, you either have a broken clutch spring, or your clutch ring and/or sun gear teeth are damaged or contaminated with sludge/grit that is preventing full engagement.

That, or you have a distance problem, meaning your driver is not fully seated into the splines, or you need a thicker or thinner shim set. If this is the case, I can't help at all, since every hub has a unique thickness and arrangement of shims and spacers that ensure proper operation.

Either way, best of luck and I hope you get sorted quickly.
    Last edited by Climbercraig66; 02-02-2011 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Here is a link to a thread in which I was having a very similar problem:
    Rohloff Skipping

End result; it went back to Rohloff service and got new internals.

UR

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bottom line, this is a known shortcoming of the hub experienced by enough owners to warrant serious consideration by Rohloff. I think it is shameful for Rohloff not to address this when it is so well documented. And I don't think your basic consumer should have to jump through the mechanical hoops documented above to get his hub working properly.

Ancecdotally, I have had the same problems through two internal sets: freewheeling, slipping out of gear, not fully engaged. I love my hub and have made an uneasy peace with it. But I would still like the complete peace of mind that comes with a fully engineered product, free from the current uneasiness that resides in the back of my head every time I go for a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Update

Started OK but a couple of hours into the ride 10th and 14th gear are definately slipping and at least one of the lower ones.

mtbr member
    @Speedhub Nate: Just for my own understanding, how exactly did your hub behave w/o the two springs? Was all the slipping limited to gears 1-7?

@UncleRobin: Thanks for the post; I remember reading about that, and it is a good refresher for other things I may not have thought about i.e. tight tolerances being worn down, temperature issues etc. Do you happen to remember the temperature range that was giving you a good hub vs. bad hub? And, how is the new hub since the replacement? The post by "Pipe" about not being able to score service parts makes me wary. Granted, I hope to never need internal parts, but if I do need them, I hope I have an easier time aquiring them.

@Mbloes: I am in full agreement. For the price paid, we should all be living the Rohloff dream of a lifetime, troublefree gearbox. Sounds like Rohloff could use some more staffing in the Research and Development, Quality Assurance and Service Depts.

And finally, @Moose: Sorry to hear things didn't work out. What is your next step? Your problem seems like it's a bit harder to nail down.

Uncle Robins temperature issue really has me thinking. While taking apart my hub, I marveled at the precision machining and part fit, but everything seemed to have enough play that any reasonable thermal expansion or contraction would not cause any issue. But, if such is the case, another thing I noticed is that the clutch spring on the sprocket-side of the hub is not very strong, so it would not take much to upset the clutch from mating correctly with the first sun gear.

Another test worth trying (if anyone currently has their hub apart and is experiencing 4-6-7-11-13-14 slips) is to remove the driver and the clutch spring and clutch ring. Stand the driver up on end, drop the spring into the driver, and drop the clutch ring on top of the spring. Cycle the externally splined clutch ring up and down inside the internally splined driver, and see that it travels freely. Then subject the assembly to heat (hairdryer?), test again, then subject to the freezer, and test again. Any difference due to expansion or contraction of the metal?
    Also, if shifted into gear 4 (and the sprocket, axle nut, driver, clutch spring and first ring gear are removed) you should be able to check and see that the clutch ring is being allowed to sit, fully engaged on the first sun gear. Assuming it is, next I would see that, when reinstalling the driver, the male splines of the driver fit into the female splines of the ring gear, and the external splines of the clutch ring are being fully engaged to the internal splines of the driver. Both engagements are essential for 4-6-7-11-13-14 operation.
    Last edited by Climbercraig66; 02-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    A friend purchased a used hub off Ebay (newer laser inscribed model). Every once in a while usually under heavy power it seems it will make a single pop sound almost like a loud ping (tuning forkish). It appears to happen in gear 7 but he is not 100% sure of that at this point. He pedals rite through.

Ive check his cable tension and there is plenty of play.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Climbercraig66
    @UncleRobin: Thanks for the post; I remember reading about that, and it is a good refresher for other things I may not have thought about i.e. tight tolerances being worn down, temperature issues etc. Do you happen to remember the temperature range that was giving you a good hub vs. bad hub? And, how is the new hub since the replacement? ...

Uncle Robins temperature issue really has me thinking. While taking apart my hub, I marveled at the precision machining and part fit, but everything seemed to have enough play that any reasonable thermal expansion or contraction would not cause any issue. But, if such is the case, another thing I noticed is that the clutch spring on the sprocket-side of the hub is not very strong, so it would not take much to upset the clutch from mating correctly with the first sun gear. ...
    What I remember temps above the 80sF or high 20sC the hub started skipping. Lower temps and all was well. One odd thing, it didn't skip under heavy pedal pressure, only light pedaling.

Once I got the hub back with new internals, I only had a few hot days to check it and it appeared to be cured. However another issue seems to have cropped up with the heat, a squeak. At first I thought it was the chain or BB. Nope definitely in the hub (it would do it off the bike by turning the cog, even in gear 11) and only when hot. Since Fall and Winter, not a peep.

My way under-educated guess is, these hubs have a small window for tolerances and thermal expansion or contraction can be an issue if at one side or the other of the tolerance window.

Also it is a known issue about cold weather (< -15C) free-wheeling related to oil viscosity.

UR

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Whenever my rohloff misbehaved it was usually the cables.I miss my rohloff,i got it for my dh bike at a time when i broke alot of deraileurs.The Rohloff used to fixy,pedals going around while coasting,it would slacken the chain on top. Rohloff rebuilt t with lower friction seals,but while it was away i went back to a regular deraileur system and i liked the way the suspension worked without the heavy hub.I decided to wait for another deraileur failure to put the roloff back on.Well i went the whole season and then some , and just ebayed the rohloff for roughly what i got it for.By now it would be on my old klien singlespeed with studded tires as the ultimate snow bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRobin
    What I remember temps above the 80sF or high 20sC the hub started skipping. Lower temps and all was well. One odd thing, it didn't skip under heavy pedal pressure, only light pedaling.

Once I got the hub back with new internals, I only had a few hot days to check it and it appeared to be cured. However another issue seems to have cropped up with the heat, a squeak. At first I thought it was the chain or BB. Nope definitely in the hub (it would do it off the bike by turning the cog, even in gear 11) and only when hot. Since Fall and Winter, not a peep.

My way under-educated guess is, these hubs have a small window for tolerances and thermal expansion or contraction can be an issue if at one side or the other of the tolerance window.

Also it is a known issue about cold weather (< -15C) free-wheeling related to oil viscosity.

UR
    Thanks for the specifics. I'm bummed to hear about all these Rohloff issues, and would be really let down if any of these things started happening on my hub. This is exactly the kind of poor performance that I was trying to get away from when I bought the hub in the first place.

If all these failures are temperature/tolerance related, then I am perhaps in a bit over my head and can't offer much help to anyone.

But if it does happen to me, rest assured I'll write a geeky, detailed report for you all to enjoy.

Hopefully luh3417 pulls through with a success story..........

On MTBR hiatus :(
    For what it's worth:

- I've now owned 6 Speedhubs, ranging in manufacture dates from 2001 to current day, and across the spectrum of brand new to well used. They've done duty on my bikes, my wife's bike (she can be an abusive shifter), and on our mountain tandem (wanna talk about grinding shifts?), and just recently a 'round town cargo bike, and I've yet to experience any mechanical problems short of the external shifter box detaching and ending up in the spokes, and the inaugural tandem ride where I forgot to tighten the axle nuts.

- I'm hoping my trouble free experience represents the norm, and these reports of the slipping gears is a bit of a fluke. I'll email a link to this thread to Neil over at Cycle Monkey; hopefully he can chime in with his observations since I believe he performs warranty service for Speedhubs in the US.

- Craig, in answer to your question about my missing springs, I bought the hub knowing it was "broken" and this was the first item I checked. Never got a ride on it without both springs installed.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mine has worked flawlessly under any conditions. Does anyone care to take a guess...with respect to possible spring fatigue. For long term storage, or if the bike won't be used for several months, is there a certain gear that would compress the springs the least.

In other words, if I wanted to mitigate the possibility of spring fatigue, is there a preferable gear to leave it in ?

mtbr member
    Suba, I suppose that gears 4-6-7-11-13-14 would be your best bet, since these gears allow the spring to be in its most relaxed (extended) position. All other gears would be compressing the spring as to disengage the clutch ring.

Realistically though, I would not even give this any thought. The length of compression and the forces on the spring are really pretty insignificant.

Leave it parked in whatever gear you see fit, and enjoy the hassle free life that this hub is so well known for.

I am always troubled by the occasional report of a non-functional Rohloff, but find relief in the 100,000+ hubs that you never hear anything about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What I'd really like to know is:

If problems with a hub are detailled and discussed here in a forum instead of with a mechanic at the bike shop, or via an Email with the manufacturer, then you cant really blame Rohloff as they have no knowledge of the issue at this point. A manufacturer can only correct a mistake once they are aware it exists and generally through all documentation, its seems as if Rohloff find solutions and correct all issues for no more than the postage cost 'to them'....and this even when the hub is waaaay out of warranty.

Granted there are problems, but nothing is perfect and this sort of service is second to none in any industry, yet alone a low profit sector such as the bike industry.

With regards to the shifting problems:
    Geas 4,6,7,11,13, and 14 involve sliding elements moving. Over torquing axles can hinder movement, too much penetrated moisture (river crossings, power wash cleaning) cause plastic parts to swell also hindering movement. Too little oil, old oil or incorrect oil can amplify the amount of problems that water can cause. etc etc. Shifting under force in the same manner as a derailleur system will cause excess resistence for these particular gear changes.
    In truth, there are so many variables that an exact diagnosis based alone on a few details is not possible and thus all discussion here in this or any other forum is a waste of time and will inevitably be misunderstood as a product failure as opposed to a 'possible' user failure.

Contact Rohloff US or EU direct and save time and frustration. Answers come quickly and generally all problems can be resolved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very well said. If someone has a problem with their Rohloff or components why not contact the manufacturer instead of posting on forums. I fail to see the reasoning other then generally to punish the manufacturer by hurting potential future sales.

It'a my opinion that generally people who post problems with Rohloff's are not the original owners. They have no idea how the previous owner(s) treated the hub. Then when they have a problem they feel slighted, and complain looking for answers on forums, instead of sending the hub in for service because they were either too cheap or didn't have the foresight to realize buying something as expensive as a Rohloff is better buying new,or not buying at all.

I'm thankful someone had the courage and skills to develop and market something as complicated as Rohloff did. It's a great hub, but not indestructible. If you ride it through deep water you will probably have a problem. If you abuse it you will probably have a problem. Use common sense, and it will probably last two lifetimes.

I had the common sense to justify buying new, and if I couldn't justify the price over long term use, I would have stayed with my XO set-up. I was every happy with it, but very glad I bought my Rohloff sight unseen, and never rode one before. I took a calculated chance based on all the positive information posted throughout the web. Rohloff is the best upgrade on my bike, and it will always be the best upgrade bar none.

I disagree on a number of counts.

Used v. new -- everyone should know the risk they run when they purchase anything used, and that's the trade off for a good price. "Too cheap?" "Lacking foresight?" That's just talking stupid and being unnecessarily insulting. You're making a ton of assumptions.

Going to the manufacturer and avoiding user forums with a wealth of experience to share? That's so anti progress, I can't imagine why this would seem like a good idea to anybody. Public forums like this (or before the internet, user groups and clubs) are a great way to discover problems that may be trending, and leverage pressure on a manufacturer to recognize a problem and correct it.

Despite never having trouble with my hub, I learned about the missing springs from forum posts. I learned about cracked flanges. I learned about the bad batch of axles that were causing trouble. I learned of the broken chainstays and seatstays some frames were experiencing.

But I also learned that the Speedhub is very, very reliable. I learned that Rohloff recognizes problems and responds to them, making the hub better in incremental ways. You're assuming folks can't think for themselves and will gravitate towards the negative posts. Sure, those will get a disproportionate share of attention, but everything is relative and the number of problems reported for by Speedhub owners is terribly underwhelming compared to other bicycle parts.

Yes, reporting problems to the manufacturer is a prudent step. But don't think you'd be doing anyone any favors by sweeping this stuff under the rug and enforcing this thuggy "hush hush" mentality on the forums. It sounds like you,and then by extension Rohloff, have something to hide. Honest, open discussions are probably the best marketing tool any small company has at its disposal.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not talking about this thread of OP. This is a good thread. I'm all for the exchange of ideas, but tired of the few vocal's who bash Rohloff. No hush hush mentality with me. There's a difference between honest discussions and willful smearing the reputation of a company.

Yah, not all people are too cheap to buy new, but some are, and they are the one's it seems who badmouth Rohloff because they've got a problem, and their too cheap to send it in for service. They'd rather complain on forums instead.

For what it's worth, two (and a half) of my Speedhubs I bought used.

One I bought directly from Thomas at Rohloff USA. It was a low serial number, I'm sure it has some miles on it, but I assumed it was properly cared for being from his shop. It was, in fact, the worst one I've owned, only that it felt a little sloppy shifting and was noisy in a weird way. I've since sold it to some bloke in the UK and I hope it's working well for him.

The second was the one with the missing springs. I have no idea how many miles were on it, and I have no doubt it hadn't been well taken care of given all the dog hair and muck covering it. But it was a hell of a deal, it was broken in when I got it, and it has been the quietest and most well mannered of the Speedhubs I've owned.

The other came pre-built in a wheel from Alex at MTB Tandems and I think was more or less new, but I'm sure had a test ride or two on it. But, being practically new, it was still notchy and needed to go through the whole break in process. I don't really consider it "used."

My point in all this is that of the Speedhubs I've owned, the used one from the sketchiest source has been my favorite. So rippin' on somebody for saving $800 (or $600 or $400) isn't factoring in how much value *can* be had in a used hub. Though I'm in total agreement with you that *****ing about Rohloff after the fact -- if the purchase turned out to be a burn -- isn't too cool... but I haven't seen too much of that.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You're an exception around here, in that you know a great deal about Rohloff, and you're knowledgable enough to buy used. Preowned is great as long as someone know's what their getting into, and doesn't cry when things don't go their way. You do the former, but not the latter.

On the other hand, I had no experience with Rohloff, and will only have one in my lifetime. I couldn't take a chance buying used. It was tough forking out over $2000 for a laced hub and wheel on something I've never seen, but it paid off for me. It was a good move that keeps on giving long after the pain of spending the money was over.

There really are very few people here who bash Rohloff. I figure it's either a personal grudge, or some people bash them and have never even seen one ( go figure that ) Not sure how I got so involved in this thread. It's an honest thread with a lot of good information. Anyway, no worries here. I've learned a lot here about how to care for my hub, and have learned what potential problems might arise in the future, and how to possibly mitigate those issues.

It's all good...and hope everyone enjoy your hubs.

mtbr member
    Why would we not openly exchange ideas and possible solutions? The company pays folks to manage its public image, folks to run quality checks etc. etc. I paid the price for an outstanding product, and that is what I got. I feel bad for the folks that are having issues after paying so much money, and if I can tell them something that they might not possibly know (and they appreciate it) then what is the harm in that? Some people like to take on troubleshooting such challenges on their own. I know shipping a wheel to Germany is not the first thing I am going to try if I ever have issues with my hub.

To try and silence all this exchanging of relevant and important information seems really backwards and counter-productive. As consumers, we have a right to dissect and discuss. If it makes the company look bad, that is an unfortunate consequence, but also a business reality that any business owner must be able to accept. Some people will slander, some will wrongly accuse. Such is life, be it a manufactured product or personal relationships.

I guess the thing that set me off was the "waste of time" comment. I would accept such a statement if I was getting paid for my volunteer work, but I don't do this for fun, nor do I do it to make Rohloff look bad. I don't want a medal, an award or even any praise.... Just wanna get another Speedhub back on the trails or road where it belongs.

I'd consider myself a fairly knowledgeable user, and everything I learned was either thru my own ownership or via shared information over the internet. I think it would be unfortunate to prevent others from having access to that same shared information.
    Last edited by Climbercraig66; 02-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Climbercraig66
    I totally disagree w/ your post (even though you "waste your time" offering your own list of possible malfunction causes). Also disagree with Subas, as buying such an expensive item, sight unseen or not even demo'd, is equally (if not more) foolish than buying a second-hand hub. Imagine if things hadn't worked out for you..... You could have been the next Rohloff Basher. You cast a mighty wide net with all your assumptions and stereotypes. Don't be surprised if you get tripped up in it.

Why would we not openly exchange ideas and possible solutions? The company pays folks to manage its public image, folks to run quality checks etc. etc. I paid the price for an outstanding product, and that is what I got. I feel bad for the folks that are having issues, and if I can tell them something that they might not possibly know (and they appreciate it) then what is the harm in that? Some people like to take on troubleshooting such challenges on their own. I know shipping a wheel to Germany is NOT the first thing I am going to try if I ever have issues with my hub.

To try and silence all this exchanging of relevant and important information is so backwards and counter-productive. All in the name of your "Rohloff pride" or for the company's sake? Ridiculous! Are you serious? As consumers, we have a right to dissect and discuss. I don't care if it makes the company look bad, or makes you feel threatened by Rohloff Bashers.

I don't give a flying f$#@ if someone wants to bad mouth my hub. The experience is mine, and it's been a damn good ride.

I am going to keep "wasting my time" trying to help and educate my fellow Speedhub user. I'd consider myself a pretty knowledgeable user, and everything I learned was either thru my own ownership or via shared information over the internet. What a waste to prevent others from having access to that same shared information.
    I think you've gone off the deep end with your rant. Maybe you feel better now. As for suggesting it was more foolish of me buying a new Rohloff sight unseen and never demo'd than buying a used hub, and had it not worked out I could have been the next Rohloff basher, you're making a lot of meritless statements.

First of all, I had no way to demo a hub. Second. I wasn't about to go looking for a used hub that someone else was very likely dumping because of a problem. Then it would be my problem. I'm just too smart for that game. Third. I do my homework. I researched the hubs for six months or more, then contacted Cycle Monkey when I knew enough to have an intelligent conversation to put in an order.

It wasn't a question of the hub working alright, but more about the perceived noise and grinding in gears 7-8, and the drag that some people said they didn't like, which for me turned out a total non issue. My understanding was that you either love the hub, or hate it. Most loved it, so I went with the majority opinion. Had I not loved it, I could recoup most of my money selling it especially because it was new. Buying used in my case would have been foolish. Buying new was smart.

If you like spending your time tearing apart speed hubs and posting self help on the internet have at it. I have better things to do with my time. If I ever have a problem, the wheel goes off to Cycle Monkey or another authorized repair shop. Did I mention I bought new, and have a warrantee.

As far as you're statements about Rohloff pride and feeing threatened. I don't know where you're coming from. Rohloff makes a unique and valuable product that has enhanced my riding experience many times over. I dismissed the bashers and negative people when I researched the hub, because some people no matter how hard they try, they screw things up, and blame anyone but themselves.

Buying a Rohloff sight unseen is no different than when I bought my Phil square taper BB, or my Middleburn cranks, or my Penthouse Flats, or my Magura Gustav's, or even my Lupine Betty. It's no different than the custom Phil front hub that I just ordered yesterday. I do my homework, make an informed buying decision, and walk away a winner....not a whiner.

mtbr member
    You're right. My response was a little too sharp, and a little too personal. I apologize for that, to both you and estutjaweh. My intent was to challenge what I interpreted as squashing of idea sharing and collaborative problem solving. In the end, some folks like to work on things themselves, and some like to have that work be performed by an authorized entity. Neither way is wrong.

I do enjoy tinkering with my hub, and I enjoy helping folks out when I can. I do not necessarily like spending my free time spouting off on the internet, sending suggestions and trying to fix everyones problems, but if the situation arises, I will try to lend assistance. Rohloff users are a small percentage of cyclists overall, so I do feel a bit of brotherhood or community, if you will.

I still disagree with your blanket statements, as I interpret them to say that anyone who buys a Rohloff second hand, is either stupid, cheap, lazy or lacking common sense. Sorry if I am not reading it correctly. The fact of the matter is, you could be doomed when you buy the hub used, or you could be doomed several years down the road when your new hub warranty runs out and you start having problems. Either way, the mechanisms involved are for the most part, more than most folks would want to attempt and repair themselves anyway. But those who do, and who share that information, are doing a worthy service to others whom suffer the same issue, especially if it is something that can be fixed at home.

All in all though, I guess my point is this: I see no harm in potentially saving someone from postage costs to Germany and downtime off the bike. I am by no means an expert, and I learn something too when I try to help someone troubleshoot their problem, and I think it's great that all this accumulated information is available to those seeking it. And even if it is the case that some people shouldn't be messing with their hub, or some people just won't understand and will shift blame where it does not belong, such is the way of the world. You could apply that way of thinking to just about anything. But these people we talk about should not govern or restrict what the rest of us have access to.

Either way, glad you are enjoying your hub as much as I am, and neither of us (and the majority of Speedhub users) are having anything but awesome rides. I'll tone down my earlier post to a less personal, more idea-based manner. Sorry I didn't make that distinction earlier.

Music & Bikes
    Question to the OP and sorry if I missed it:

When your LBS transfered your hub from one bike to the other , have they opened it in some way ?

If they changed the angle of the shift box , it means that they opened it in some way.

I've worked in bike shop and seen stories ....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    An overdue update.
    My Rohloff had to be returned to Germany. It has come back and is working perfectly. Everything was done free of charge even though the hub was a good few years old, so no complaints there. Unfortunately there was no real diagnosis so I am non the wiser and can't post what the problem actually was.
    A massive thanks though to all who helped and advised me.
    Moose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luh3417
    I got it from a legit dealer in Australia. The slipping gears are 4,6,7,11,13 and 14. I will take it to my repair shop here in Sydney. They specialise in hubs. If they get stuck I will refer them to you!

Thanks again. Will keep you posted.
    Got my hub back. It went to Rohloff agents in Australia who said it was the timing and may have been a fault that got worse with running in or maybe the tension on the wheel nuts. I was pretty careful with not over tightening the wheel nuts so I think it was a factory thing. All seems good now and I may just get a torque wrench for good measure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast