mtbr member
    Feb 2011

MTB Gear change issue with Rohloff

Have a Rohloff on Stumpjumper HT. It's fairly new maybe 500km. My problem is changing down. If I back off pedalling and sometimes even stop pedalling completely when i change down the hub either; doesn't shift, half shifts and hesitates, or shifts into a 'strange' mode where it seems to go into the same gear (say from 2nd to 9th) but in the high range (using 1-7 low, 8-14 high). i have to back pedal and change down then start again. By then of course I'm stationery on the steep slope. Changing up is a bit better but I often get 'hung' as the hub struggles to change.

On steepish hills (12%+ grades) even when it does change I have to stop pedalling so long that the only way I can handle the loss of momentum is to change down at least two gears, often 3 gears.

It's a pain when group riding as those behind me tend to be balked as I struggle to change down on climbs.

Is this 'normal' for a newbie getting used to the gear change. It is so bad that I have stopped riding the bike where there are quick grade changes and trails where the down slope quickly becomes and steep climb.

I've checked and rechecked everything. The only issue that I can try next is to back off the cables so there is a little more cable play in the system.

Any advice info welcome

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That doesn't sound right, the hub should be changing up or down much better than that.

I suspect that your hub needs to go back to Rohloff or a service agent for a warranty stripdown and rebuild, or possibly simply a replacement.

You will enjoy using it once it is fixed.

Music & Bikes
    Mine shifts a lot better now than when new but what you're experiencing doesn't look normal.

Check if the shifting box and the OEM plate is tight also check the oil , it should work without any but it help to smooth operations.

Check with Them , if you're in north america.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have the cables too tight. There's gotta be at least 1-2mm free play at the shifter, and if you screwed the barrels all the way in at the box when you mounted the cables, you may not have enough room to screw them in to loosen them.

If that's the case, shorten the housing a bit and reinstall the cables and leave yourself some room to adjust both ways.

Also, the smoothest cable routing is down the DT, under the BB, and straight into the box mounted under the chainstay; that may help too.

I've worked with many Rohloffs and had no issues with the hub itself, but cable mounting has sometimes caused problems.