mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Miserly lack of info in "users manual" included with shimano 8-spd shifter

Lucky for me I'm a natural born mechanic and can usually "reverse engineer" (and understand) assemblies when disassembling them, or otherwise just figure stuff out by looking at it.

Of course the thing that PO'd me enough to post this is so easy that even the most confused simpleton could have figured it out. But it just brought up one of my pet peeves.

There are no instructions about how to take apart the shifter mechanism. Not even a word about how to change the shifter cable or access it. Of course anyone with basic skills or experience can visually inspect the thing and easily figure out that the Phillips head screw that is directly in line with the shifter cable is most likely the access to the cable end. I took out the screw and was able to pull the cable out so that I could cut the housing at the hub end. No problem.

I am just airing a pet peeve here. It just seems like a conspiracy to keep some bike owners as ignorant as possible, so that they will be at the mercy of bike mechanics. That kind of crap doesn't work on me, though.

I feel better now. Maybe I had too much coffee this morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A document like this should have come with the shifter.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830687469.pdf

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    In the end, lack of good info was overcome by just doing it by feel, eyeball, and general mech ability. This isn't just Shimano. I've found errors and a paucity of info in many of the procedure manuals that I have used for maintaining and repairing my vehicles over the years. I do stick with the torque specs that are provided in the manuals, though.