mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Machining Roholff for Pugsley

I've been reading through a number of old Pugsley + Rohloff threads, and have seen several references to Machining the OEM2 Axle Plate to make it easier to get one's wheel in and out of a Pugsley's sliding rear dropouts when mated with a Monkeybone. I have a nice pneumatic die grinder and carbide bits, and am not worried about doing it....

But I haven't found any of the old threads that reference exactly what change has been made! I am assuming that one of the two tabs is being shortened a little bit, but could someone enlighten me? A point to an existing thread (whose pictures still work) would be more than enough.

Thanks.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    A point to an existing thread (whose pictures still work) would be more than enough.
    Hey bud, fellow fabrication minded guy here, probably fewer tools on hand than you. I'm going to save you some trouble.

What you're after isn't going to happen unless you contact the original authors and ask them for pics directly. Hopefully they still check their PMs. A few months ago MTBR went through some forum changes and a ton of images went missing. Google has blurry cached thumbnails, but those aren't useful. My two frame build threads for example, all gone except for the ones I hosted on my own website.

Sucks, man.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Another thought - contact Ben Witt of Milltown Cycles - he's fat friendly, affable, likes to mod, and has more than likely done a few Rohloff builds.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that all the old pictures are vamoose. Some of mine are, too!

A description of the change would be fine. Does anyone know of a thread in which they discussed the actual change? Then I'll know who to try and ask, at any rate.

Worst case, when/if I get a Rohloff for my Pugs I'll just have to figure it out myself.

mtbr member
    Try this search in google: rohloff pugsley site:forums.mtbr.com

If you also click on images you can see, as Drew suggested, the grainy pictures. This should give you somewhere to start.

Tim