trail hunter
    Apr 2008

looking at IGH but have ?'s

Im building up and old fisher frame for touring and am considering an IGH. My main concern is chain tensioning. Do I have to have a tensioning device or is that done by the hub?

Frt Range, CO
    If the dropouts are vertical and you don't have a EBB, then you'll need a tensioner. If your frame has EBB, horizontial dropouts or sliders, then you don't need a tensioner.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

ok,

do magic gear rations work with igh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter
    do magic gear rations work with igh?
    Yup!

But ... what are you going to do about chain stretch?
    Last edited by Sometimes; 10-22-2009 at 08:10 PM.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

well,

would a half limk chain work? Or i could just remove links as necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm new to SS'ing/IGH, having just more than a month SS'ing before giving it up & switching to IGH. IGH was always my aim but thought I'd give SS'ing a shot.

Anyvey ... from my very limited experience & from what I remember reading, a half link equals 1/2" & will allow the axle to move forward/backward 1/4". That's seems like a lot of chain stretch to me. In other words, that seems to be too much to account for chain stretch.

I don't know the recommended limit on chain sag/deflection but on my Rohloff it's a maximum of 10mm with not much force. I've seen pics on this site of SS's with quite a bit of sag in their chains. So perhaps that's acceptable. Seems like an invitation for chain skip & perhaps accelerated wear to me but what do I know, I'm new to all this.

I think a tensioner would be the best solution. They're quite compact & don't (apparently) have to be mounted in the traditional rear derailleur position as I've seen pics of at least one mounted on the chainstay, just behind the chainring, which would provide a bit more protection & also keep the bike looking 'clean'.

Good luck.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Your other option is a Forward Components or Trickstuff Exzentriker EBB. The catch is that you need the right cranks to get it to work.

It's worth considering. While magic gear is my preference to a tensioner (for aesthetics), once you've been riding for a while the lack of ability to adjust the chain tension will probably annoy you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    jasevr4's post jogged my memory. What can I write, I'm getting senile :-).

There's also an eccentric hub, White Brothers (?), that offers some adjustment.

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

dont think you can use and eccentric hub and an IGH

I am trying the clean look. I refuse to use a chain tensioner, might as well have a rear der. I usually ride SS but have an old gary fisher marlin in perfect condition lying around. I want to build it up as a touring bike with either 700c or 650b wheels (pref. 700c) and an IGH for touring. I thought about the trickstuff and forward components ebbs but they are pricey. Would rather go with a different bike than that or a chain tensioner.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    bhunter - my personal preference then is to go an EBB. While it's not going to be quick release and super easy to change a flat, at least you don't have to worry about tensioning the chain after taking the wheel off...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    FWIW, my Rohloff is QR and I'm using an EBB.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Ahh yep, my bad. My brain is in Alfine mode...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Read Sheldon Brown's article on "Fixed Gear Conversions" for some additional ideas on adjusting chain tension without adding a tensioner.

Some of his ideas:

1. One tooth is equal to 1/8" of adjustment so you could just go to a one tooth larger chainring/cog to make a 1/8" adjustment in chain tension. That would give you 1/8" with tooth adjustment, 1/4" with a half-link & 1/2" with a full link which should take care of any chain tensioning you might need to do.

2. Another idea is elongate the dropout by filing/grinding away some of the metal. I don't like that idea.

3. And another idea is to cut the axle short so that the QR skewer 'floats' freely in the dropout providing a small range of adjustment. That doesn't sound like a bad idea but I'd definitely only use a steel skewer with an enclosed cam. Shimano's are my favorite. Especially true now that I've read about QR's & disc brakes.

Good luck.