mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Lighter Rohloff ???

I have heard about Rohloff building a gearing set with the weight of a shimano XT. Can anyone offer some input????? Sounds goo!

Rohloff
    It's been in the works for a while. It seemed like Rohloff was starting to release it then backed off. It seems that they are working out a few kinks.

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/20...edhub-in-2008/

I tried holding my breath a couple of times but only managed to get dizzy and light headed. There is some question about how durable it will be and how much it will cost. For those reasons, I decided to go ahead and buy the current model. I am very happy with it but look forward to future inovations by Rohloff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander
    I have heard about Rohloff building a gearing set with the weight of a shimano XT.
    Fat chance, or "If it sounds too good to be true...".

They are working on a version that's lighter than the current one. It will probably have a rider weight limit on it though. It also keeps getting pushed back, and I doubt it will be out before 2011. It will also have less gear range (not that it would be bad).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The goal for weight reduction was a metric pound (500grams).

Apparently there will be no restriction on weight limit, but it won't be able to be used on tandems.

Last I heard was that it has been shelved for at least a year. I was not told why.