Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Life after Rohloff

After riding only with a Rohloff Speedhub for the last six years. Its great to be riding STD gears again the pedals turn so easy the the gears are closer.
    I'll miss my old Rohloff hub for the 24hour races and Muddy days but the a light bike and good gear change lever are fun..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was about ready to do that same because of the drag. So I put Mobil 1 ATF oil in and it is acceptable now. If I blow the seals or plastic shear rollers so be it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geweber View Post
    I was about ready to do that same because of the drag. So I put Mobil 1 ATF oil in and it is acceptable now. If I blow the seals or plastic shear rollers so be it.
    Yes it a Bit of a Drag, A gear or two lower than with STD gear set up.
    But the gears are too far apart too, i'm going to ride arcoss Africa in 4 weeks 12000kms (7500miles)
    All the best with Mobil oil
    PG

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Keep in mind to disclose that if you sell the hub.

Music & Bikes
    It's the first time I read from someone who is pleased to go from IGH to Deraillers.

Personaly , I would prefer the durability of a Rohloff over any derailleurs system for such a long run.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    Keep in mind to disclose that if you sell the hub.
    Will do, posting on here contributes to being open.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The other day I rode my bike with a derailer for the first time in a couple of months after having ridden IGH's. My first thought was "Wow, all the power goes into acceleration.".

I rode the Alfine 11 today for about 3 hours. The drag is least noticeable on this one. The shifting is pretty smooth. I enjoyed the ride. The 29er with a six inch travel fork on the front of a ML8 makes for a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You guys should try the Nuvinci N360. It's not exactly a speed demon, but holy dingus it's smooth as butter.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Yes it a Bit of a Drag, A gear or two lower than with STD gear set up.
    http://www.ihpva.org/HParchive/PDF/hp52-2001.pdf

They state that an IGH is 2% less efficient than standard drivetrain.

Rohloff
    I've been riding SS, Rohloff and Alfine almost exclusively for years now. I recently went to Outerbike and rode a number of standard drivetrains. The 3x10s reminded me why I don't like standard drivetrains. They're still clanking, clumsy and the front derailleur rubs if not perfectly tuned. But the 2x10s were another story. Smooth and quiet. It really got me thinking about giving 2x10 a go. I'll probably try that on my next bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    no worries, I have been running mobil 1 in my rohloff's for years and many thousands of miles

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikedroid View Post
    no worries, I have been running mobil 1 in my rohloff's for years and many thousands of miles
    Which Mobil 1 oil? Glad to hear someone else is using Mobil 1.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I'm sure I have more important things to worry about, but I have a continuous internal debate about the real world efficiency of my IGH (a Rohloff) versus derailers. There's some feedback in some of the IGH gears, but I've got my gearing dialed so that 95% of the time I'm in silent, smooth gears -- so I'm not really irritated anymore by the feeling of the hub. And I've got a pretty good external measure of efficiency. When I ride with anyone, it's pretty much always the same guy -- a well matched, though slightly stronger rider. We do many miles on the tarmac and dirt roads on road and cyclocross bikes as well as authentic mtb rides on our respective machines -- his with derailers, me with my IGH. Our relative strength of cyclists is the same no matter the bike or the terrain, so my data says that in my world the IGH is not a liability and probably not any advantage under normal conditions -- the "drag" upon spinning the cranks backwards has no impact when pushing the pedals with my legs. Short of power meters or controlled power outputs, this measurement of efficiency using longterm comparison to another rider over many miles and several different bikes meets my personal criteria for a reasonable test.
    And I also know from experience that if I'd done the ride pictured below using a derailer equipped bike, it would have at best been operating as a single speed midway through the ride...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Life after Rohloff-1210110955.jpg  

"The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Mmmmm I agree never known anyone to prefer going back to standard gears after using a Rohloff.

When I got my first Rohloff I remember freewheeling down a shallow fire road with a riding buddy running standard gear set up who started to accelerate away, I had to start pedalling to keep up.

Initially I put this down to the "drag" from the hub I had read about.

However a few weeks later down the same fire road I was pulling away from him just freewheeling.

What had changed? .............. Tyres

The hubs almost 9 years old now apart from annual oil changes, 1 x set of external seal and regular cleaning after each ride it's required no maintenance.

Used for everything from XC, AM and DH with two trips to the Alps, several season of winter sludge and snow, top tube depths of flood water, it's been on several bikes and has been rebuilt once to upgrade the rim to Mavic EX 823 tubless.

In a word it's been bombproof, I love it and can't stand to ride standard gears now

This first hub did feel a bit less efficient in the lower ratios when new but it's great now and the other two Rohloffs I have (one new, one second hand) have never felt significantly different in the lower gears.

There is also a local guy who uses a Rohloff for enduro racing, doesn't seem to slow him down much

In summary I much prefer the excellent reliability (and function) over any potential efficiency loss which is probably barely significant from my perspective compared to the effects of different offroad tyres.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    Mmmmm I agree never known anyone to prefer going back to standard gears after using a Rohloff.
    Not sure why this caught my eye, but I'm thinking that you must not know many people who ponied up the money for a Rohloff to begin with. Count me as someone who went back. I really want to like the internal gears but the drag in gears 1-7 (or at least my perception of it on my hub) is so bad that I just can't ride it on serious rides where I know I'll need climbing gears. Also, planetary gears have a lot of take-up when engaging. After years on high-engagement hubs, I prefer the direct engagement that I feel in a standard gear & high-end hub setup.

When I first picked up the Rohloff, I tried putting a lot of miles on it to break it in. I swapped out the cog to try to optimize the gearing so that I can spend more time in the higher gears. Changed out the oil frequently, hoping the gear drag was part of break-in. Nothing really helped.

I still keep my Rohloff on the "trail-a-bike" bike for cruising around with my kid, but I don't use it for much else. It's still a fun conversation piece among bike geeks. Also, since mine is an old pre-disc brake model, it's not compatible with my newer frames anyway. But spending the money to convert it to disc isn't worth it to me at this point.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mtnbkaz;8842618]Not sure why this caught my eye, but I'm thinking that you must not know many people who ponied up the money for a Rohloff to begin with.QUOTE]

This is true

The current cost of a Rohloff is now double the price compared to the first one I purchased.
    The last wheel build was with an Alfine 11 to try and minimise the cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    To each his own. For me theoretical efficiency loss is meaningless. I would never go back to derailleurs. Might do SS someday, but even then I would never give up my Speed hub.

mtbr member
    Yea, to each his own. People ride IGH for different reasons. For me (alfine), I like that its smooth and dead silent even when coasting and never any chain slap on the rough stuff. I'm no racer. Maybe if I was, I would feel differently. I enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    How much did the Rohloff originally retail for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    From memory in 2003 for a silver hub with QR, disk mount, external gearbox, dogbone etc was about 530 -560 GBP with a total cost for a pair of built wheels about £650 from the local LBS.

Music & Bikes
    I paid mine $1000 8 years ago , the disk brake version.

It is now $1500.
    Rohloff Quick-Release Disc Speedhub | Speedgoat Bicycles

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I got mine at the dealer/frame builder's price -- still have the invoice. Just over 7 years ago (16 December 2004) I paid US $667.70 for the "Speedhub 500/14 XC, OEM, Black anodized". It's a rim brake version, OEM2 style torque arm.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    $850 from Sheldon Brown (Harris Cycles) in 2000 for the after-market kit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Perhaps the increase in price has something to do with the weakening dollar and strengthening euro. My impression is that the price for the Rohloff has not increased much in euros, although I do not have any actual details on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have mine on a Niner Rip 9 geared at 26 x 17. I did make the climb yesterday up Johnson Mountain at Oak Mountain State Park in AL for the first time. If I can maintain my balance with this low gearing I can climb pretty good.

I still feel the drag. Has anyone tried the Fox Float Fluid? I may try that next. Thinking about trying a 1 x 10 with a 22 x 36 granny to compare against the Rohloff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast