Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member

New build

I got my first Rohloff in 2001, my second in 2005. Just built a new bike this past May and used my "younger" one for my dirt set up.

Nice to get caught up with what folks have been using their IGH on, I'm really intrigued by the low gear set ups! Riding here is Los Angeles I've only ran 42/16, I find I have enough power in my spindly legs to get up most climbs around here. I felt that if I gear it any lower I might as well walk the bike! Recently riding in Moab I found that I spun out my top gear on the Rim Trail, that surprised me! I don't think I'm that fast, lol

Loved the tip about using Mobil 1 ATF! What do you use to clean out the hub before refilling it? I had sent my second hub to Rohloff's guy here in the States (soon after purchase in '05) who was located in Berkeley California (but I hear he's no longer a resource) and he informed me that the manufacturer of the oil used a different additive that caused the bushings inside to swell slightly causing the shifting problem I had. He swapped out the internals and basically sent me a new hub and said to not fill it all the way. Haven't had a problem with it since!

The 2001 bike I've converted to a derailleur type and I can say I prefer the IGH for the gear change advantage, being that I'm not caught out in too tall of a gear with the quick changing terrain we've got here, and, there's the chain suck issue. I see my friends going to 1x11, I'm 1x14 so they've almost caught up!

Life after Rohloff-img_1594a.jpgLife after Rohloff-img_1595a.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ApexMan View Post
    I got my first Rohloff in 2001, my second in 2005. Just built a new bike this past May and used my "younger" one for my dirt set up.

Nice to get caught up with what folks have been using their IGH on, I'm really intrigued by the low gear set ups! Riding here is Los Angeles I've only ran 42/16, I find I have enough power in my spindly legs to get up most climbs around here. I felt that if I gear it any lower I might as well walk the bike! Recently riding in Moab I found that I spun out my top gear on the Rim Trail, that surprised me! I don't think I'm that fast, lol

Loved the tip about using Mobil 1 ATF! What do you use to clean out the hub before refilling it? I had sent my second hub to Rohloff's guy here in the States (soon after purchase in '05) who was located in Berkeley California (but I hear he's no longer a resource) and he informed me that the manufacturer of the oil used a different additive that caused the bushings inside to swell slightly causing the shifting problem I had. He swapped out the internals and basically sent me a new hub and said to not fill it all the way. Haven't had a problem with it since!

The 2001 bike I've converted to a derailleur type and I can say I prefer the IGH for the gear change advantage, being that I'm not caught out in too tall of a gear with the quick changing terrain we've got here, and, there's the chain suck issue. I see my friends going to 1x11, I'm 1x14 so they've almost caught up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1594a.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	915261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1595a.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	915262
    Cycle Monkey here. We're the Rohloff guys you spoke to earlier. We're still in Berkeley and still a Rohloff resource! Glad to hear the hub is working well. Give us a call if you have any other questions.
    www.CycleMonkey.com
    Rohloff & Schlumpf gearing. Custom wheels. Suspension service.

mtbr member
    Hey! Good to here from you guys! Found your website and now it's bookmarked, great to know I've got the pro contact again for my hubs! I know I still have your card... Last time I saw you was back at Interbike 2010, bummed I couldn't make it this year, hope you did!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4