Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Frt Range, CO

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!

It started out as a commuter project, I've since seen the light, internal hub geared bikes are great on the trail.

Motobecane Outcast 29er frame, raw
    Salsa CroMoto 29er fork, raw
    FSA V-Drive Megaexo Crankset, raw
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Shimano Dynamo Front hub
    SRAM I-Motion 9 rear hub
    Mavic TN717 rims
    Kenda 2.2" Karma
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Avid Speed 7 rear brake
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    ThudBuster ST seatpost, raw
    Easton MonkeyLite lo-riser
    Attached Images Attached Images

pedal pusher
    I like what you did with those bar ends.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Assuming the shop does everything right Iím picking my Trance up with Alfine tomorrow morning.
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]I gave up a complete 2008 XT/XTR setup that’s lighter and works brilliantly so this better be good, so far on a short road ride it felt great. Black Shimano Alfine 8spd hub with Surly Singleator tensioner and Race Face bash guard. Also had a Hutchinson Toro 1.85/2.15 tire combo put on which explains the delightful amount of mud clearance on the back compared to the Michelin’s.

[/SIZE]

Wheezee
    Where's...my...inhaler?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezee
    Nice avatar Wheezee, oh and cool bike too.

mtbr member
    First ride was Sunday, with its extras like a Surly Singleator chain tensioner, Race Face bash guard which I probably didn’t need and Sram SS chain which again I probably didn’t need it weights quite a bit more than the old XT/XTR setup but so long as it stays as good as the first ride I wouldn’t change it for anything. The bike feels a bit weird at the moment because I’ve now got a strong, solid feeling rear rim and a front rim best described as flimsy that you can physically see flexing on tight corners but I’ll have that fixed soon and I’ll have some lighter bits to compensate for the weight increase. Anyway, as others have said the shift is so slick you hardly notice it, all the gears feel super smooth, the hub is completely silent which I love, to my surprise it spins freely after hardly any use, it always shifts when pedalling although it does take a little longer if your really pedalling hard, the shifter works in reverse of a normal derailleur type shifter in that you release the smaller lever get into easier gears etc which I think I will be able to get used to, the highest gear is just about perfect for the fast XC riding in my area but I haven’t had a chance to take it to more challenging terrain to try out the lower gears yet. I’m running 18T rear cog and 32T front and I also put a set of Hutchinson Toro 1.85 & 2.15 tires on to improve mud performance over the Michelin dry weather tires previously on there.

Wheezee
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Nice avatar Wheezee, oh and cool bike too.
    Too kind.

Don't stand so close, I have a congenitally infirm immune system.
    Where's...my...inhaler?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Not exactly the best backdrop, but I was tired after towing the other bike on the trailer. A lot of bash rings from everyone out there so far. I'd have to run one on the inside of the chainring because of the Rohloff chainline, and I'm not quite sure that's legal to do.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    my carbon swathed rohloff:

Wheezee
    Good God! Well I never.
    Where's...my...inhaler?

faster than walking
    I cannot shake the desire to build an IGH trail bike. I built a 1x7 with Saint rear mech to try to take the edge off. Love the bike, but here I am drooling on this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Inglis 29 Rohloff with Paragon sliders.
    Curtis updated the frame that I have had since 2002 with a new rear triangle for Paragon sliders and Rohloff cable routing.

.jpg

IMG_2175web.jpg

IMG_2179web.jpgIMG_2177web.jpg

faster than walking
    You guys rock. I love your bikes. Pursuiter, Wheezee your bike in particular are almost exactly what I want in an IGH trail bike.

Wheezee, you have an aesthetic eye and it shows in your bike. Not often I think of a trail bike as elegant.

Wheezee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Broken
    You guys rock. I love your bikes. Pursuiter, Wheezee your bike in particular are almost exactly what I want in an IGH trail bike.

Wheezee, you have an aesthetic eye and it shows in your bike. Not often I think of a trail bike as elegant.
    Thanks for saying so Cody, much appreciated. If you ever saw me on it, I think elegant is probably the last word to come to mind!

Robin Mather the frame builder, is local to me here in the UK, and I think he made rather a nice job of it.
    Where's...my...inhaler?

faster than walking
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    First ride was Sunday, with its extras like a Surly Singleator chain tensioner, Race Face bash guard which I probably didn’t need and Sram SS chain which again I probably didn’t need it weights quite a bit more than the old XT/XTR setup but so long as it stays as good as the first ride I wouldn’t change it for anything. The bike feels a bit weird at the moment because I’ve now got a strong, solid feeling rear rim and a front rim best described as flimsy that you can physically see flexing on tight corners but I’ll have that fixed soon and I’ll have some lighter bits to compensate for the weight increase. Anyway, as others have said the shift is so slick you hardly notice it, all the gears feel super smooth, the hub is completely silent which I love, to my surprise it spins freely after hardly any use, it always shifts when pedalling although it does take a little longer if your really pedalling hard, the shifter works in reverse of a normal derailleur type shifter in that you release the smaller lever get into easier gears etc which I think I will be able to get used to, the highest gear is just about perfect for the fast XC riding in my area but I haven’t had a chance to take it to more challenging terrain to try out the lower gears yet. I’m running 18T rear cog and 32T front and I also put a set of Hutchinson Toro 1.85 & 2.15 tires on to improve mud performance over the Michelin dry weather tires previously on there.

[SIZE="4"]All please take note that EGF168 dispensed with an XTR drive train to venture into IGH. His thumbs up is high praise indeed.

You rock EGF168.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Broken
    [SIZE=4]All please take note that EGF168 dispensed with an XTR drive train to venture into IGH. His thumbs up is high praise indeed.

[SIZE=4]You rock EGF168[/SIZE].[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Why thank you! I was a bit worried the gears werenít low enough for some of the steep sections but yesterday and this morning I did rides that had some very steep hills and the gears were great, who needs 27 gears when you can have 8 that do just as good job.
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

ups and downs
    My Kona A in an environment it excels at (rare as it is in Vancouver).

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine
    my carbon swathed rohloff:

WTF. Who knew Batman had his own mountain bike.

faster than walking
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    WTF. Who knew Batman had his own mountain bike.
    I wasn't going to say anything, but damn!

xy9ine, what is that thing? And please post action shots. I want to see that thing flying through the air or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mine KHS AM2000 Alfine

mtbr member
    xy9ine, WTF is that?????????? More details please. Who made it and price?

faster than walking
    Quote Originally Posted by Loewa
    Mine KHS AM2000 Alfine

Loewa, at first I thought you were using a front derailleur for chain retention, but I see cable running to that mech and the chain is running on an inner ring.

How's it working running two rings up front? Gives you gear range out the wazoo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good god! I have never seen the likes of that before. We want details!

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast