Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!

288K views 589 replies 220 participants last post by  Nube on a Tube 
#1 ·
It started out as a commuter project, I've since seen the light, internal hub geared bikes are great on the trail.

Motobecane Outcast 29er frame, raw
Salsa CroMoto 29er fork, raw
FSA V-Drive Megaexo Crankset, raw
Shimano M520 pedals
Shimano Dynamo Front hub
SRAM I-Motion 9 rear hub
Mavic TN717 rims
Kenda 2.2" Karma
Avid BB7 front brake
Avid Speed 7 rear brake
Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
ThudBuster ST seatpost, raw
Easton MonkeyLite lo-riser

Attachments

See less See more
#151 ·
Rohloff Raleigh

Bought a used Rohloff hub this past winter, had Cyclemonkey in Albany CA do some work on it and build up the wheel. The bike is finally coming together, though I am looking at possibly changing out the 38t chain ring to a 40t. Before the IGH, had added the carbon fork, Thomson seat post and BB7s. So far great fun, though still need to do some trail test rides.

#152 ·
Ended up turning my Gary Fisher Rig (pictured earlier in this thread) into an On One Inbred 29er in the end... Found the Rig a bit too long, and a bit too Aluminium for my tastes, so bought a Purple Inbred frame... And since I built it up, it's been my most ridden bike for sure. I absolutely love it!

Since the photos were taken, I have serviced the forks and upped them to 100mm of travel, which has made the bike handle even better and means it can now be ridden down things like you would a 26" wheeled DH bike, it's that confidence inspiring!

#157 ·
Wow...

Tim, read through your build thread, amazing, you are one capable/prepared guy. I didn't buy my XXIX with the thought of putting an IGH on it, though I had been checking out Rohloff hubs for a while. Took the plunge, bought a used one, knowing the XXIX with the EBB would allow the set up to be strait forward. The back end is definitely heavy... looking forward to seeing your painted build.

#161 ·
Everett
Oh how i want a Speed Hub.... but no money . Maybe I can sell one of the kids...I'm not recomending a belt drive/ Alfine combo for MTB use unless you really like pain. Don't get me wrong the bike rides great its just with such a narrow chain line and the pain of getting it to work right. I hope the Alfine 11 is better.

Sandmangts
I so like that bike. That rear wish bone and chain tensioners are so rad.

Tim

#162 ·
I liked the idea of using a carbon belt drive in conjunction with the Rohloff, but never seriously considered it as an option. If I was going that route, my route would have been to get a carbon belt drive compatible frame, I don't have the metal working knowledge/tools/access to tools that you have. Also, the Rohloff purchase and then disc brake conversion/wheel build already cost enough money. I see the Rohloff as a long term investment, the Raleigh edition is the first of hopefully a few builds.

FWIW, I bought the hub off of eBay, seems to be fine. There was a speedhub that recently sold on eBay for ~$900, disc brake ready, built into a (touring) wheel, though it had a bolt on axle. If you don't mind buying used, might be something to look at.

#163 ·
Here's Mine....

From new to recent in it's various forms...

Enjoy,

Al

Attachments

#166 ·
rdhfreethought said:
Sweet solar setup you've got there. Any details?
Mate,

It's a 20W panel that feeds into a 12 AH PS series Century deep cycle sealed lead acid battery. I don't bother with a regulator as I have a Panasonic Tough Book coupled to it 90% of the time. I also charge the satellite phone and camera batteries off it.

It all works well in high solar radiation situations but in our lower South West it sucks because the useful radiation is very low and sun hours per day drop off drastically. Not to mention alternating between shadow and sunlight in the forest.

For the above reason I'm now discussing having a brushless 100W generator made, I'm going to turn it into a front hub, the catching point is how to disconnect it when going uphill. ie I only want it generating when going downhill or on a flat with a tail wind as 100Watts is quite a resistance.

I have a manufacture in Melbourne who is quite prepared to give it a go for $750 AU.

Al

#168 · (Edited)
airspeed said:
What a setup! How do you hang the panniers off your front fork?
Mate, simple really, because they're Maverick SC32's I have just used a pipe 'U' bolt type clamp. It's a bit close on the LHS looking from the front 'cuse the wheel has a minor offset....must fix it one day.....

EDIT.... Don't over tighten the 'U' clamps because it'll distort the fork housing.

Some pics for you.

By using the Mavericks it means the weight of the pannier load is not 'unsprung' weight. This means the suspension isn't having to pick up that weight on every bump it works on.

Al

Attachments

#169 ·
Weight Weenie Rohloff

Here is my new weight weenie build around the Rohloff. Currently the bike complete weighs 22lbs which after I change the fork, seat post, saddle and pedals will be closer to 20-21lbs. I decided to circumvent the cable box(external shift mech) by glueing on some cables stops. The bike as a whole is very quick and responsive, an excellent race bike.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.