Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rohloff Raleigh

Bought a used Rohloff hub this past winter, had Cyclemonkey in Albany CA do some work on it and build up the wheel. The bike is finally coming together, though I am looking at possibly changing out the 38t chain ring to a 40t. Before the IGH, had added the carbon fork, Thomson seat post and BB7s. So far great fun, though still need to do some trail test rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ended up turning my Gary Fisher Rig (pictured earlier in this thread) into an On One Inbred 29er in the end... Found the Rig a bit too long, and a bit too Aluminium for my tastes, so bought a Purple Inbred frame... And since I built it up, it's been my most ridden bike for sure. I absolutely love it!

Since the photos were taken, I have serviced the forks and upped them to 100mm of travel, which has made the bike handle even better and means it can now be ridden down things like you would a 26" wheeled DH bike, it's that confidence inspiring!

stumpyexpert
    Jan 2008
    Wow markyboy1980 thats a great on one very nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    New frame same Rohloff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its in the works. Started off as a Raleigh XXIX. With some extensive mods its now a Alfine 8 with a belt drive.

Build thread here Alfine ,belt drive, 29er project

After I get back from vacation in a couple of weeks I'm getting it painted. And its going on a diet.

Tim

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I think my bike is the oldest with an internal hub. 1936 Ohio built Mercury with a Nexus 8/rollerbrake rear and a Sturmey drum up front.

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Wow...

Tim, read through your build thread, amazing, you are one capable/prepared guy. I didn't buy my XXIX with the thought of putting an IGH on it, though I had been checking out Rohloff hubs for a while. Took the plunge, bought a used one, knowing the XXIX with the EBB would allow the set up to be strait forward. The back end is definitely heavy... looking forward to seeing your painted build.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    sandmag....lots of nice details on that frame. great to see it up and running.

mtbr member
    Nice frame/bike - well done.
    Only thing I might like different are the pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +3 on the sweet build sandman... it's cool to see an example of a vintage frame build, helps me see where some contemporary designers are drawing inspiration from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everett
    Oh how i want a Speed Hub.... but no money . Maybe I can sell one of the kids...I'm not recomending a belt drive/ Alfine combo for MTB use unless you really like pain. Don't get me wrong the bike rides great its just with such a narrow chain line and the pain of getting it to work right. I hope the Alfine 11 is better.

Sandmangts
    I so like that bike. That rear wish bone and chain tensioners are so rad.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I liked the idea of using a carbon belt drive in conjunction with the Rohloff, but never seriously considered it as an option. If I was going that route, my route would have been to get a carbon belt drive compatible frame, I don't have the metal working knowledge/tools/access to tools that you have. Also, the Rohloff purchase and then disc brake conversion/wheel build already cost enough money. I see the Rohloff as a long term investment, the Raleigh edition is the first of hopefully a few builds.

FWIW, I bought the hub off of eBay, seems to be fine. There was a speedhub that recently sold on eBay for ~$900, disc brake ready, built into a (touring) wheel, though it had a bolt on axle. If you don't mind buying used, might be something to look at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Here's Mine....

From new to recent in it's various forms...

Enjoy,

Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-alans-brand-new-bike-trailer-img03422-cropped.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-bike-trailer-goode-bch-p1010071-cropped.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-al-laying-track-day-4-img_7196-cropped.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-al-holland-track-hyden-norseman-rd-day-6-img_7233-cropped.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-maverick-fork-guy-p5260493-cropped.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-holland-track-start-day-3-p1010103.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-epic-trailer-p1010062.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-munda-biddi-p1010012-rev1.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-warroora-beach-ride-19-11-2009-img02740.jpg  

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm
    From new to recent in it's various forms...

Enjoy,

Al
    wow. looks like you're in for some epic trips with that rig. jealous.

/not jealous for the reason you wear that hat though. I hate flies.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Sweet solar setup you've got there. Any details?
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    Sweet solar setup you've got there. Any details?
    Mate,

It's a 20W panel that feeds into a 12 AH PS series Century deep cycle sealed lead acid battery. I don't bother with a regulator as I have a Panasonic Tough Book coupled to it 90% of the time. I also charge the satellite phone and camera batteries off it.

It all works well in high solar radiation situations but in our lower South West it sucks because the useful radiation is very low and sun hours per day drop off drastically. Not to mention alternating between shadow and sunlight in the forest.

For the above reason I'm now discussing having a brushless 100W generator made, I'm going to turn it into a front hub, the catching point is how to disconnect it when going uphill. ie I only want it generating when going downhill or on a flat with a tail wind as 100Watts is quite a resistance.

I have a manufacture in Melbourne who is quite prepared to give it a go for $750 AU.

Al

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What a setup! How do you hang the panniers off your front fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by airspeed
    What a setup! How do you hang the panniers off your front fork?

Mate, simple really, because they're Maverick SC32's I have just used a pipe 'U' bolt type clamp. It's a bit close on the LHS looking from the front 'cuse the wheel has a minor offset....must fix it one day.....

EDIT.... Don't over tighten the 'U' clamps because it'll distort the fork housing.

Some pics for you.

By using the Mavericks it means the weight of the pannier load is not 'unsprung' weight. This means the suspension isn't having to pick up that weight on every bump it works on.

Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-front-rack-mavericks-p1014830.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-front-rack-mavericks-p1014831.jpg  

Last edited by alanm; 06-07-2010 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Weight Weenie Rohloff

Here is my new weight weenie build around the Rohloff. Currently the bike complete weighs 22lbs which after I change the fork, seat post, saddle and pedals will be closer to 20-21lbs. I decided to circumvent the cable box(external shift mech) by glueing on some cables stops. The bike as a whole is very quick and responsive, an excellent race bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscf0819.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscf0820.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscf0821.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscf0822.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscf0823.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Long time coming, but here it is built.

2009 anodized Chameleon with Rohloff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Greetings from Germany, 2010 Gary Fisher Paragon, Custom build

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by justilew
    Here is my new weight weenie build around the Rohloff. Currently the bike complete weighs 22lbs which after I change the fork, seat post, saddle and pedals will be closer to 20-21lbs. I decided to circumvent the cable box(external shift mech) by glueing on some cables stops. The bike as a whole is very quick and responsive, an excellent race bike.
    I can't see how you tension the chain...do you have a EBB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1939 Schwinn DX Retro-mod with Sturmey Archer 8-speed

Finished the build today. Very happy with the results
    ----------

Frame: 1939 Schwinn DX "Schwinn Ace", S/N: B21178
    Fork: NOS Tange TX-1200
    Headset: NOS Tange MX-2
    Stem: Ashtabula (1978)
    Handlebar: 90's BMX cruiser Answer Alumilite 7075
    Grips: Ritchey True Grips (contemporary)
    Brake Levers: NOS/NIB 1987 Dia Compe AD 290 4-finger levers in grey
    Chain: KMC BMX Z-chain in silver
    Cranks: 175mm TA ProVis 5 anniversary edition with retro stickers
    Chainring: TA 30T
    Bottom Bracket: Tange 68x122.5 with TruVativ bottom bracket adapter (both contemporary)
    Pedals: NOS MKS BMX-7
    Rims: Araya 7C 26x1.75. NOS silver, stripped and re-anodized red
    Hubs: Sturmey Archer X-RD8(W) rear; X-FD front
    Tires: Cheng Shin C693 26x2.125
    Saddle: Brooks B-72 w/ chrome rails
    Seatpost: Custom turned solid 6061, clear anodized
    Seatpost Binder: Campy

Weight: 38 lbs of klunker fun

----------

Last edited by J_Westy; 06-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That is seriously cool, thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy
    Awesome build! well done.

Can you tell me about the torque arm clamp, is it a Sturmey Archer part?

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast