Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool bike

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    My Kona A in an environment it excels at (rare as it is in Vancouver).

Man, I like your bike very much..very simple and functional - straightforward equipment.

Makes me wanna convert from conventional to internal.
    JARHEAD FOR LIFE - SEMPER FI!

Music & Bikes
    My 1FG "Pimped"

Cannondale 1FG frame, , Super Fatty Headshock
    RaceFace Next Carbon Crankset
    Speedplay Frog Pedals
    DT 240 front hub
    Rohloff Speedhub rear hub
    Mavic 717 rims
    Hope Mono Mini F/R brakes
    RaceFace X/Y post
    Easton EC90 XC Composite Bar
    Brooks Swift Titanium Saddle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's my 05 Titus ML Ti
    Fox Talas fork 15mm QR
    XTR 15mm hub
    DHX 5 rear shock
    XTR 952 crank with aftermarket spider (uses 104 rings)
    XTR 952 BB
    All Ti bolts
    Titec Ti handlebar
    And the Rohloff hub with 40X16 gearing
    Rohloff chain guide
    Rohloff tensioner FS bikes got to have a tensioner because the chain slacks when the suspension compresses.
    Weight is 32 pounds

I didn't know if I was going like the Rohloff. Once I figured out how to shift, I love it. I'm thinking about buying another one for my road tandem.ML R side.jpg

ML L side.jpg

ML Rside chain tensioner.jpg

ML shifter box.jpg

L side.jpg

stumpyexpert
    Jan 2008

Smile

Here's mine, Genesis iO ID, can't wait to get out and ride her

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Blur LT1

Posted in a couple places.

I've been running a 1X9 (30X11-34) for over a year and wanted to try something new.
    I wanted new wheels anyway so I did some research and had the wheels built at www.Harriscyclery.com. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html#8
    Found some 28mm wide 409 gram rims, 26" Velocity Blunts.
    I had the front laced up 3X to my American Classic Hub with DT supercomps and brass nipples. I had the rear laced up 3X on a new Alfine Hub with DT supercomps and brass nipples.
    The bike weighed 24.7 pounds before the internal hub and now weighs 27.7 pounds. I had to use a Surly Singleator because of all the chain growth through the suspension travel.
    I made the chain as short as I could without binding up the suspension. 36 tooth chain ring in front and 22 tooth in the rear. Very close to my 30X11-34. I have 2 rides on it so far.
    I like it but I'm still getting use to the extra weight in the rear. I do jump with the bike but only 3 or 4 foot drops. All the drops have smooth landings.
    no weight.jpg

shock compressed.JPG

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

My new Alfined HT!

Just finished it this weekend!

Went on the first ride yesterday, and conquered the biggest hill in Hobart, no worries! That was with 32 chainring -> 22 sprocket. I'm considering replacing the 22 with a 20 permanently for some better downhill gearing.

Not 100% satisfied at the moment, there was some skipping, particularly in 5th gear, when I was using the 22T sprocket. I put the 20T on today to see if it made any difference, and now it's perfect - don't know what's happening. I might consider starting a new thread about it if the 22 still skips. And yes, the yellow marks were lined up in 4th!

More pics to come when I find a more photogenic location!

Cheers,
    Alex.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm humbled by the high coolness factor of the bikes here. I'm a recent IGH convert, after becoming somewhat disillusioned with the alleged allure of SS. At any rate, he's my small contribution to the thread: My '07 Fisher Rig, fitted with a Shimano 8-speed SG-S501, 32/20, pretty much everything else stock. Couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Wow, been thinking about internal hub for a mountain bike for a long time, didn't know so many of you all were already doing it, see what goin back to school does for staying in the "know". I'm gonna switch ASAP. Good stuff guys and girls!

i don't give a shift
    My wife's bike: a mix of old and new & a mix of 26 and 29 inches.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

is an outsider allowed?

Not a mtb, but certainly inspired by this forum.
    specs-'98 Fuji Touring frame/fork, Mavic A319 rear rim, Shimano Nexus hub, Velocity Synergy rim, Shimano XT hub, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes, TTT Motus stem, Nitto Noodle bars, Cane Creek brake levers, Sugino Messenger crankset, Time ATAC pedals, Bontrager seatpost, San Marco Rolls saddle, Phil Wood bottom bracket, Nitto lamp holder, Planet Bike computer, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tires, Cuisse Elite H2O cage, Pletscher rack, Arkel Tailrider bag, Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, Shimano BR-R500 brakes, Dura Ace cables and housing, Tange Levin headset, Dinotte 200L light, Cateye taillight, Jagwire in-line barrel adjuster.

mtbr member

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Frt Range, CO
    Hammerschmidt and Alfine, East meets West!, very nice

emtb.pl

To see what works for me

mtbr member

IGH arrramma

folks loving thos IGH's ,
    I hear that on full sus bikes they can make the ride feel odd and be prone to flats due to the amount of unspring weight in the rear wheel anyone got any feed back on this. I am seriously considering a IGH with a carbon belt drive,

anyone know if you can use belt driv with a hammershmit?

going through to many XT chain rings chains and cassets $$$$$
    Rolling & Tumbling

mtbr member
    no flats for me. I'm running ghetto tubeless also.
    2007 santa cruz LT

mtbr member
    I think it would take a far larger weight increase than switching to an IGH setup to cause an increase in flats, if it did then just put more pressure in the rear tire...

emtb.pl
    I have had no flats in two years - std drivetrain or igh. I use std tires on tubeless rims or ghetto.
    I'd say the weight increase is far more improtant to the responsiveness over small stuff than to flats. Nothing that cannot be tuned with the compression/rebound on a good shock but noticible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Soul Dillinger with Alfine

Hi folks,

Thought you'd be interested in seeing my newly built Soul Diilinger 2nd generation with an Alfine hub. But first you have to read my short story.

So I was laid off from my engineering job of 30 years. I'm not ready to retire, but until I'm employed I needed to fill the time, and I'd rather be active.
    (30 years in a desk job has taken it's toll.)
    So I decided to build a trail bike to replace my 80s vintage Lotus Pegasus.
    (Obviously I don't ride off road much if my Pegasus is still rideable.)
    I figure if I don't get into the off road road thing I can turn it into a commuter.

I had three fixed criteria for my trail bike: it was to be a 29er, have disk brakes, and an internally geared hub.
    (I had a 60s vintage 5 speed Sturmey Archer. I loved the internal gears, but there were problems in the design, and when the bike was stolen the 5 speed hubs were discontinued.)
    I was hoping to afford a front suspension fork, but didn't want the complication of a full suspension bike.

So, after lurking and doing research for months I decided on the Soul Dillinger because mildly blemished frames were available at a steep discount.
    (Now I can afford the front suspension fork.)
    It also has an EBB to ease wheel alignment and chain tensioning, and seemed to be liked by heavier riders (I'm 210).
    So here are a few pics.

The build, or at least the major components:
    Soul Dillinger generation 2 frame, medium, in GREEN
    Rockshox Reba Race 2010 with Pushloc
    Shimano SG-S501 hub with Rapidfire shifter
    BB7 brakes
    Stans flow rims
    Geax Saugaro TNT tires with Kenda tubes

So far I've only ridden the neighborhood, proving that my biking muscles are way out of shape, and that the build needs some fine tuning on the ergonomics.

But I don't think I'll ever have derailliers on a bike again. This Alfine is everything that 60s era Sturmey Archer 5 speed should have been.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am using the Shimano Alfine 8-speed with a Schlumpf mountain drive, 53T chainring and 23T rear cog. I like it a lot; I get all kinds of low range to climb hills and more high range than I can use.
    I started out on an Iron Horse Maveric 4.5 full suspension frame...this was heavy, and it made me mad to have to leave the rear derailleur on to use as a chain tensioner.
    I recently stepped up to a Klein Mantra frame - it is AWESOME! Much lighter, and the bottom bracket is part of the swingarm, so no chain tensioner is needed. I haven't been on a trail yet with it, but on the street it rides like a Cadillac...and my average speed went up about 1 mi/h.

They Hayes hydraulic brakes were tricky to figure out an effective method for bleeding, but I think I have it down now...they seem to work quite well (these were an upgrade for me that came with the Klein frame...was using entry level Shimano mechanical disc calipers that came with the Iron Horse).

I haven't taken pictures yet, because I have a few more components to mount - Odysee full suspension rear rack (with B&M taillight mounted to it), and I have a much stronger rear wheel yet to build. I got a DT FR600 rim and DT Alpine III triple butted spokes....I figure I won't break any more spokes with this setup.

Here's my complete setup:
    2000 Klein Mantra
    Schlumpf Mountain Drive
    Shimano Alfine SG-S500 8-Speed Hub
    Shimano DH-3D71 Dynohub
    Dual Bush & Muller IQ Cyo Senso front lights
    Busch & Muller DToplight Senso Multi rear light
    53T Chainring, 23T rear cog
    NO DERAILLEURS or chain tensioner
    Fox Float 100mm rear shock
    Manitou Black 80/100mm fork
    Crank Brothers Mallet C clipless pedals
    Brooks Flyer saddle
    Sigma Sport BC1606L wired computer
    Hayes Nine hydraulic disc brakes
    Odysee full suspension rear rack
    JANDD rack mount trunk bag

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Old bike new hub. Love it. I plan to use it as a long haul rig for next year with a few 50+ miles races which I attend because the courses are cool not because I stand to place. So far so good. 2 50+ days so far and about 300 miles. Can't say a bad thing about it yet. From a King hub to this is not quite the engagement but getting used to it. Might play with the 34x18 a bit for hard days but like it so far. Mud not a problem, shifting under pressure up hard climbs different, engagement different, not bad just got to acclimate. I hate those derailluuirrrsssisss thingys so this works great for me. More range than I would have thought and makes the commute to the trail a breeze.
    Happy shifting,
    Con-vert!
    RIP poor Voodoo. I broke a bar in the middle of a tech section and ended up breaking most everything on the bike including myself. After the ER, stitches, and looking at my frame's status I realized that almost everything was done. Great rig but just not up to par on my style of riding( Alpine). So I upgraded.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    RIP poor Voodoo. I broke a bar in the middle of a tech section and ended up breaking most everything on the bike including myself. After the ER, stitches, and looking at my frame's status I realized that almost everything was done. Great rig but just not up to par on my style of riding( Alpine). So I upgraded.
    OBTW, It's now fitted with my Alphine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Like your setup - need help with mine

I really like your setup.i bought a Monocog 29er off craigslist and want to do exactly what you did by adding a Nexus 8 speed hub. A few questions:

What size chainring are you using in the front? I'm looking to add a 44T, but the alignment with the hub isn't right.

What cog size are you using on yuor Nexus hub?

What are the black ties you are using to keep the cable to the hub in place?

I intend to use this bike as my commuter (9.5 miles) with only highway overpasses to deal with. My LBS suggested I stop my build and buy a commuter bike. I believe I'm close to finishing my bike, but may need to buy a smaller chainring since the 44T may rub if I install it to the inner side of the spider crank. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well Xavier's dad, in case you're asking about my green Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er, here are my answers:
    What size chainring are you using in the front? I'm looking to add a 44T, but the alignment with the hub isn't right.
    I'm using a 32 tooth chainring with bash guard as supplied as part of a Race Face Evolve single speed crankset.
    What cog size are you using on your Nexus hub?
    I was using a 20 tooth mainly because the EBB supplied by Soul Cycles with the frame couldn't tension the chain with a 22 tooth cog without a half link, which I didn't have. But I like the 20 tooth, so the 22 tooth will not get used. I currently have an 18 tooth cog to ride some rail to trails, and perhaps a 16 tooth would be better. A different EBB with more adjustment may be in my future.

If I were to convert my Dillinger to a commuter I would probably run 32/16.
    They are just black UV resistant cable ties. After make all changes to the stem and bars and settle on the final cable routing I'll likely clean up the tie wrap installation.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by XaviersDad

What cog size are you using on yuor Nexus hub?

- Why run a 44? You can get a 16T rear cog, you can run a 32, 34, 36 or 38 front chainring and choose a rear cog that give a nice range.
    Otherwise, run the 44 on the outside with a 22T rear cog, turn the cog's dish outward and your chainline will be close.

- Zip Ties?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here is the bike I always wished Cannondale would build. They dont however, so I did;

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast