Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    mtbr member
    hey sriracha looks good. what kind of chain tensioner is that?

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuna View Post
    hey sriracha looks good. what kind of chain tensioner is that?
    It's a homemade chain tensioner, that I prototyped and built it in my garage.
    Want one? I am in conversation with a machine shop about doing a limited run.

mtbr member
    I might need one for a future project. I don't like the rear derailleur type.
    Does it move? Do you have more pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am interested in the tensioner as well. Will it attach to a standard frame?

I have a Moonlander.

d

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Yo synthesis (fellow fatty rider here), if you have a Moonlander, why not just use the horizontal "dropouts"?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Yo synthesis (fellow fatty rider here), if you have a Moonlander, why not just use the horizontal "dropouts"?
    Honestly Drew,

The shop that built it recomended it. Said it would be easier to change wheel or swap rear cogs. So I am running a Paul unit now. Maybe I'll take it off and see how she runs.

d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-ml-c2.jpg  

rollin
    The version I have created currently only works on bikes with elevated chainstays, as it pushes the chain up.

I will eventually work on a version that pushes the chain down.

My chain tensioner attaches to a standard bottom bracket, the same way a chain guide with rollers would attach, by being sandwiched between the BB and frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja View Post
    ^^^Nice looking chain tensioner! Looks like it might be reversible by switching the springs. I also like the giant bearing used. My tensioner uses a brass bushing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Carver 96er Alfine 11

Here's my Carver 96er Alfine 11.........apologises about the goofy pose!

EBB is good, running a 1/8" single speed chain, 32/23.

The Alfine 11 is still a bit jumpy, but it is getting better.

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-imag0470_resize.jpg

In my quest to improve slipping in addition to playing with the tension and cable length I switched to seat stay cable routing (from chain stay) using Bue / Green non-turn washers plus I flipped the cog's dishing inwards (to avoid the rubber cable housing rubbing the wider 1/8 chain).
    Last edited by RockySpieler; 05-09-2013 at 03:46 AM.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You poor bastard! Where are you that you still have snow?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    You poor bastard! Where are you that you still have snow?

Drew
    Old'ish photo taken on the 17-March-2013 on Dartmoor in the U.K.

I just got back from a business trip to Madrid and took the photo to wind up a Spanish cycling colleague who cycles in the sunshine near Barcelcona,

saddlemeat
    Finally got an 8sp Alfine hub on the Coco, added 3 lbs to the ss weight but I am spinning up climbs I had to walk before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-coconino8sp.jpg  

A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by synthesis View Post
    Honestly Drew,

The shop that built it recomended it. Said it would be easier to change wheel or swap rear cogs. So I am running a Paul unit now. Maybe I'll take it off and see how she runs.

d
    While you're still fiddling with the bike getting ratios right, I highly recommend running a chain tensioner until you sort everything out, just so you don't have to keep adding or removing links. After that, it's a matter of personal taste - I still have mine, but I won't cry myself to sleep when I remove it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    While you're still fiddling with the bike getting ratios right, I highly recommend running a chain tensioner until you sort everything out, just so you don't have to keep adding or removing links. After that, it's a matter of personal taste - I still have mine, but I won't cry myself to sleep when I remove it.
    I switched to a 23T and got rid of the tensioner. Runs great now and no extra parts to get full of sand and grit. Was worried about the axle slipping in the dropouts but I torqued it to 32lbs (I think it was) and it hasn't budged. Very happy with the setup.

d

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Trek District Carbon Belt Drive Rohloff Road Bike

Here is my newest project. A district carbon with a a rohloff and belt drive. There had to be a few very unique solutions to make this possible and im still not done. I am just finishing up a drop shifter that I have been fabricating and then I have to find a more elegant way to route the cables. The front wheel will match the rear, just waiting on my philwood hub. Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions. Cheers.
    Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_20130522_194158.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_20130522_194152.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_20130522_194024.jpg

Music & Bikes
    WOW !

Please report back your impressions.

Curious about the feeling of the IGH on a road frame and if the extra weight in the back is annoying on a road rig.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    WOW !

Please report back your impressions.

Curious about the feeling of the IGH on a road frame and if the extra weight in the back is annoying on a road rig.
    Actually Santos bicycles make a Rohloff road bike.
    Race Lite | Santos - Custombuilt Bicycles

I just convinced Bill, one of my rando buddies, to add one to his bike. The biggest issue to solve is how to route the cabling for the shifters from the handlebars. I think the Santos solution is the cleanest, nicest solution, however it will probably add resistance to the shifting. It also removes the ability to easily grab the bottom of the drops.

This district has taken an approach I haven't seen in a while - stem mounted. Nicely done.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Finally got an 8sp Alfine hub on the Coco, added 3 lbs to the ss weight but I am spinning up climbs I had to walk before.
    That is a very nice looking rig! Mind if I ask what the cost of converting was? And also, did you purchase a pre-built Alfine wheel or build yourself? Thanks for any info you can give.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I tested it out on the weekend, it rides really well! You dont notice any extra weight in the back although when you are in the lower 7 it does have a pretty loud hum. I am running a 60T ring and 19T cog so the hub RPMs are always pretty high.

@hunter006 thanks . . . The stem shifter is a temporary fix though. I have modified a campy chorus(campy uses a duel ratchet system so when modified can pull 2 cables) shifter to pull the cables. . im just putting the finishing touches on it and ill get it installed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by justilew View Post
    I tested it out on the weekend, it rides really well! You dont notice any extra weight in the back although when you are in the lower 7 it does have a pretty loud hum. I am running a 60T ring and 19T cog so the hub RPMs are always pretty high.

@hunter006 thanks . . . The stem shifter is a temporary fix though. I have modified a campy chorus(campy uses a duel ratchet system so when modified can pull 2 cables) shifter to pull the cables. . im just putting the finishing touches on it and ill get it installed.
    Great build! I would like to try Rohloff on road bike, and the belt makes a super clean bike!

What is the weight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ...and please post some nice outdoor photos!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    That is a very nice looking rig! Mind if I ask what the cost of converting was? And also, did you purchase a pre-built Alfine wheel or build yourself? Thanks for any info you can give.
    I had to shop around for my components, there seemed to be a shortage last winter. I have ~$275 in the hub, shifter, small parts kit, and cog. The rim, spokes, nipples, and tubeless liner were ~$175. I built the wheel myself, used the same size cog and the same centerlock rotor as I was running ss. My frame was built with cable clamps for this setup, so installation was simple. I set up the disc brake with the bare hub before I built the wheel, pretty much a drop in deal.

Pacenti TL28 rim w/ Carver tubeless liner
    Wheelsmith black DB14 spokes and aluminum nipples
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Just Ride!
    bsieb, thanks for the details. I am not sure why I am so hung up on an IGH? Especially when my 1x9 Deore works absolutely flawless, but this helps me know that I am on the right track cost wise. Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justilew View Post

Hiya. I hope you realise what you have done if you get a brifter working with a Rohloff?!!!! If you can let me know how you did it or do another one, I would buy it from you! There are a LOT of people itching to get their hands on one and NOBODY is making any!

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast