Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2007 Redline Monocog/Nexus 7-Speed

I'm just getting back into biking when time permits. I rode BMX in the 80's, but haven't been on a bike much in the last 12 years. I had acquired a bike with a Nexus hub years ago, but the frame was a little short for me & my knees (that aren't what they used to be). The plan was to get a taller frame and use all of the parts from the bike I already had since I was on a budget. At first, I was lost on what type of frame to even look for (being out of it for so long), but a few places like here brought me up to speed a little. Now, I think the only stuff left from the other bike is the rear wheel, tires, seat post, pedals, water bottle cage, and brake/shift levers. Most of the parts were had on eBay at good prices. I love the clean lines & simplicity of a singlespeed, but it's also nice for my knees to have some gears. There's still a bunch of things I want to do with it, but for now, at least I'm riding again.

2007 Redline Monocog Flight (for 26" wheels)
    Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub, 18T & push-button shifter
    Profile 180mm BMX cranks
    Redline euro bottom bracket
    DK 36T sprocket
    Odyssey pedals
    KMC K710SL chain
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Shimano roller brake rear
    Chris King front hub
    Raceface stem/bars
    Velo/Redline seat

I got a good deal on the complete front wheel -- does anybody have a matching single rim for the rear? It's a 26" Mavic EX721 grey anodized 36 hole.

(click to enlarge)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lucero
    Good god! I have never seen the likes of that before. We want details!
    go to Ridemonkey.com DH forum. search for 'Lahar'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blue78
    I'm just getting back into biking when time permits. I rode BMX in the 80's, but haven't been on a bike much in the last 12 years. I had acquired a bike with a Nexus hub years ago, but the frame was a little short for me & my knees (that aren't what they used to be). The plan was to get a taller frame and use all of the parts from the bike I already had since I was on a budget. At first, I was lost on what type of frame to even look for (being out of it for so long), but a few places like here brought me up to speed a little. Now, I think the only stuff left from the other bike is the rear wheel, tires, seat post, pedals, water bottle cage, and brake/shift levers. Most of the parts were had on eBay at good prices. I love the clean lines & simplicity of a singlespeed, but it's also nice for my knees to have some gears. There's still a bunch of things I want to do with it, but for now, at least I'm riding again.

2007 Redline Monocog Flight (for 26" wheels)
    Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub, 18T & push-button shifter
    Profile 180mm BMX cranks
    Redline euro bottom bracket
    DK 36T sprocket
    Odyssey pedals
    KMC K710SL chain
    Avid BB7 front brake
    Shimano roller brake rear
    Chris King front hub
    Raceface stem/bars
    Velo/Redline seat

I got a good deal on the complete front wheel -- does anybody have a matching single rim for the rear? It's a 26" Mavic EX721 grey anodized 36 hole.

(click to enlarge)

I like the bike. Does the roller brake work well? Do you use v brake levers?

Flaccid Member
    My ride is a Work In Progress. Still waiting on a 38 tooth ring gear for the front, then the front derailleur is gone, along with the 44 tooth ring gear. Brand new 8 speed chain. Laced the rear hub myself, (a first) and got it close to finished tension, only to find out I botched the lace job, doing it French Lace instead of European Lace on the Mavic EN321 D. Got help from jeffj on final true, roundness and tension for a great wheel build worthy of this Clyde.

Picked up a Tiagra shorty for a tensioner, adjusted it full in to clean up the drive train line on the high gear side.

The hub does take a while to break in, it does have some idiosyncracies, but it
    shifts fast and smooth, like no other I've ridden.

Bike is pretty much Euro Spec'd save the Shimano pseudo tensioner, pedals and the SRAM cranks.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 09-17-2008 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JediSith
    I like the bike. Does the roller brake work well? Do you use v brake levers?
    Thanks. The roller brake is not the best. It's ok for relaxed biking; not for "spirited" biking. I like it when I'm putting around with the kids. Yes; V-brake levers. I wish a disc adaptor was readily available for the nexus hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yes it worked very vell! In the first stage i don't understand what i am need. And ride 18 - 32,36 sometimes 22 , but was winter, studded tire and more, more snow - then and now 20-36 only - here, there and everywhere
    ps sorry from my bad russian english

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuna
    xy9ine, WTF is that?????????? More details please. Who made it and price?
    as mentioned earlier, its a lahar, built in nz by an eccentric by the name of aaron franklin. he's been building rohloff based carbon dh frames for a few years now (in very limited quantities), and this is the latest iteration. i believe he's built about 15 of these so far, but has run into personal / financial 'difficulties' recently, and the company seems to be currently defunct. it's a pretty neat bike; centralized mass / low cg, super low unsprung weight, stiff, decently light (despite the weighty rohloff - 37lbs as it sits), with amazing high speed stability / bump eating capabilities. the bomber drivetrain is icing; i'll be sad if i ever have to run a dangly dérailleur on a dh bike again. frame mounting the gearhub makes so much sense; i've ridden a buddy's wheel mounted rohloff dh bike previously, and that much mass at the end of the swingarm is definitely detrimental to handling & suspension performance. obviously i'm a big fan of gearbox bikes...

Frt Range, CO

And Hard Tail equals two IGB MTBs

Finally found the time to finish my Alfine project.
    I'm running a 32/22 giving the equivalent of a 22/30 gear (frt ring=22T, rear cog=30T!).
    Took it out for a ride this am, gotta love IGH goodness in the morning.
    I even found an 185mm centerlock disc:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pursuiter; 09-21-2008 at 07:56 AM.

faster than walking
    Nice build. Looks like a blast to ride.
    Paint job should about anti-theft it.
    Running that big ring until you get a bash?

Frt Range, CO
    Yea, I have a 32T Surly SS chainring and a plastic bash guard on order.
    I am also going to try the grip shifter, I really like my I-M9 grip shifter.
    In a week or two, I'll strip the frame and do another natural project.
    With the Thudbauster and Alfine, I'm loving my hardtail again.
    I'm just not smart enough to keep a deraillieur running right

Gorilla Evo
    Here is mine:

it was first fitted with an sturmey archer 8, sadly it didn't last very long. I have been using an alfine / trigger shifter since February and it is still going strong. it copes just fine with jumps, drops, dust, mud and dh in general.
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybike
    Here is mine:
    cool frame. you build that yourself? very dark cycles / brooklyn - esque.

Gorilla Evo
    bikes do look soooooo much cleaner with a straight chain.

Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine
    cool frame. you build that yourself? very dark cycles / brooklyn - esque.
    thanks. Yes, it is an all stainless steel homemade bike. a shame I haven't find the time to finish it properly (polish to shine).

this was the last modification to it:

a second shifter to down shift with your left thumb.
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Tandem Nexus

This is my Schwinn 1960's tandem with a Nexus 8. Just built.

The Fork is a Trailblade

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

@adelorenzo

Alfine Pugsley

First ride on the Alfine today, I ran singlespeed last winter. It handled a couple hours of snowy singletrack with no issues. I like.

Running 33x22 gearing on 190 mm Profile Racing cranks.

fux
    Scooterist
    I sort of proved a point a couple of weeks ago by winning a race onboard an Alfine...

Now that winter is rapidly catching us up, I`ve had to park my commuter roady and Alfine is doing its duty on the 34km trip to work.

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is the first time I have really seen anything like this. I have a 36 hole rim laying around. I guess its time to purchase a IGH!

Gorilla Evo
    I am getting ready my town bike soon, just looking for the right fork at the moment, I will be running an sturmey archer 8. can't wait to ride it to work everyday.

have any of you with the suspension bikes have had any issues with the un-sprung weight?
    I haven't. it could well be that I am a lousy rider so I haven't been able to notice.
    G-EVO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybike
    have any of you with the suspension bikes have had any issues with the un-sprung weight?
    [SIZE=2]I haven’t really noticed the extra weight on my bike when riding, it’s only when I pick it up to lift it through a gate or something that I really notice the extra weight.

My Alfine is still working great BTW.

[/SIZE]

Frt Range, CO

Missfit DiSSent meets Alfine:

I couldn't stand the chain tensioner on my Motobecane Fantom29er, so I bought a Missfit Dissent. All the parts swapped over just fine, took less than an hour to get up and running. This in not a lightweight, I like strong and un-breakable, hence the 4.6lb frame, Tora shock and Mavic 319 rims

Check out the sliding vertical dropouts, perfect for an IGH hub. Also look at the gussets on the head tube, very beefy. I ordered it raw/disc only, no need to strip the paint off this baby!

Misfit DiSSent 19"
    Tora 318 Solo Air 29er
    Chris King HS
    Eason Monkeylite bars
    Shimano LX M580 175mm
    32T Surly Stainless Steel Chainring
    E13 Clear bash guard
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Mavic 319 rims
    DT 2.0 spokes
    Shimano XT 756 QR/Disc
    Shimano Alfine 8-speed
    Avid BB7 203mm/185mm
    Shimano XT levers
    Nexus grip shift
    Thudbuster 27.2mm LT
    Serfas DDMD-200
    Kenda Karma 2.1

Frt Range, CO

Vassago Jabberwocky, meet i-Motion 9

I had an extra rear wheel with SRAM's i-Motion 9 hub, very dangerous! My Outcast29 reverted back to a commuter with a Nexus 8/roller brake. I missed having an rigid 29er with IGH. I started looking around and decided it was time to try out a steel frame, perfect complement to the i-M 9. I arrived on the Vassago JB, ordered it from TRails-edge in MI. I received the 09 frame, has different gusset on headtube.

I love the simple look of this frame. The horizontal dropouts work well with an IGH, the adjusters are simple and effective. I had to go for the frame/fork combo, glad I did. This frame is ultra stable, reminds me of the early Ritchy frames, you could ride over a small log no hands, this frame is no different.

Vassago Jabberwocky 20"
    Vassago Pitch Fork
    Chris King HS
    Misfit FU bars
    FSA V-Drive Megaexo 175mm
    34T Surly Stainless Steel Chain Ring
    FSA Clear Bash Guard
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Mavic 319 rims
    DT 2.0 spokes
    Shimano XT 756 QR/Disc
    SRAM i-Motion
    Avid BB7 203mm/185mm
    Avid SD7 levers
    SRAM grip shift
    Thudbuster 27.2mm ST
    Serfas DDMD-200
    WTB Motoraptors 2.1

Frt Range, CO

Bone White, meet....

...mud. This thing handles great. The Wet Cat geometery is my style, 71* head angle, 18" chainstays. Covers the single track w/style:

mtbr member
    May 2006

Alfine committed to Asylum

It started life as an eBay/parts bin rigid SS 29er last fall. I added the Alfine to the rigid frameset this summer, but that frame cracked shortly thereafter and I decided to go full suspension 29er - I've probably put 26" wheels behind me for good. I only have a couple rides with the Alfine on the Asylum, but so far so good.

Old, stale, negative
    Old bike new hub. Love it. I plan to use it as a long haul rig for next year with a few 50+ miles races which I attend because the courses are cool not because I stand to place. So far so good. 2 50+ days so far and about 300 miles. Can't say a bad thing about it yet. From a King hub to this is not quite the engagement but getting used to it. Might play with the 34x18 a bit for hard days but like it so far. Mud not a problem, shifting under pressure up hard climbs different, engagement different, not bad just got to acclimate. I hate those derailluuirrrsssisss thingys so this works great for me. More range than I would have thought and makes the commute to the trail a breeze.
    Happy shifting,
    Con-vert!
    Last edited by bstrick; 11-30-2008 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member

Alfine Black Sheep

I posted a seperate thread about this bike, but figured I would add it here as well. Black Sheep custom Ti frame with extending chainstays and black 32h Alfine hub. I run singlespeed in the summer, but like some gears for the winter, and maybe some endurance events. Enjoy:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast