Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    In that case I'd definitely go with a half link.
    Are the half links interchangeable between brands? Can I use a KMC half link on a Wipperman chain?
    I was under the impression that frankenchains were not ideal.

A Man Of The Truth
    All chains have the same link length so they should all work. The only issues might be plate thickness. The real issue with halflinks is that you are putting a pin back in your chain to install it, which in theory makes it a weak point. I think KMC makes some interesting half links that solve that problem, they have a little cotter pin on the the chain pin. You need more clearance for the chain but it looks like you have plenty of space. And just put all that stuff on the inside of the chain so it doesn't take your skin off.

rollin
    All chains have the same link length so they should all work. The only issues might be plate thickness. The real issue with halflinks is that you are putting a pin back in your chain to install it, which in theory makes it a weak point. I think KMC makes some interesting half links that solve that problem, they have a little cotter pin on the the chain pin. You need more clearance for the chain but it looks like you have plenty of space. And just put all that stuff on the inside of the chain so it doesn't take your skin off.

I might pick up a half link, but I think I can pull this off by repositioning the idler pulley, and using a larger 13T Dura-Ace pulley.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    I might pick up a half link, but I think I can pull this off by repositioning the idler pulley, and using a larger 13T Dura-Ace pulley.
    I use a YESS rear mounted tensioner when I convert my ML8 to singlespeed for downhilling. I find the sound of the chain going over the smooth coaster annoying. I was also using that tensioner for the few months I had an Alfine 11. If you could put a toothed tensioner pulley, that's what I'd prefer if I had that setup. Much smoother and quieter.

rollin
    I use a YESS rear mounted tensioner when I convert my ML8 to singlespeed for downhilling. I find the sound of the chain going over the smooth coaster annoying. I was also using that tensioner for the few months I had an Alfine 11. If you could put a toothed tensioner pulley, that's what I'd prefer if I had that setup. Much smoother and quieter.
    Nice!

Yeah, I'm going to be putting the 13 tooth pulley on, instead of the roller. Looking at a chain, it seems they are designed to ride on the bushing surrounding the pin, not the outer links. I'm hoping there will be a little less friction with a pulley.

If rollers were superior, you'd think they would use them in some way, on a derailleur...and a lot of chain guide companies use idler pulleys, instead of rollers.

A Man Of The Truth
    Yeah generally they use gears on pieces that can be adjusted to line up perfectly with your chain line, and rollers for parts that are not adjustable. Thats why my Yess tensioner has both. The "lower" pulley is adjustable and is a gear, the upper is not adjustable so its just a roller. The other thing I was thinking is that if you do a half link (which I think you should do), that's going to change the location of your tensioner arm and so you'll have to re calibrate it's spring.

rollin
    I can dial in the exact chainline of the pulley, with washers. Currently, tension of the device is increased or decreased by "clocking" it around the bottom bracket mount, and re-tightening the BB. Still in prototype mode, but it works.

Surprisingly, the idler swing-arm doesn't have to move that much. Since I'm pushing the chain upward, this decreases the difference in chain growth, as the axle moves up...because the lower chain is a hypotenuse, it shortens a bit as it levels off.

A Man Of The Truth
    You ought to take your rear shock out, and post a short video of the system slowly working through all of the bike's travel.

rollin
    You ought to take your rear shock out, and post a short video of the system slowly working through all of the bike's travel.
    That's a good idea. I will do that, when I finish the revised version, with 32T chainring, 13T idler pulley and trimmed bits.

rollin
    If you think about it, a tensioner that pushes down, like the Yess tensioner, or a Surly Singulator attached to the derailleur hanger pushing down, is always moving up to release more chain. This requires even more chain length and more movement of the tensioner.

Mine flexes down to release more chain, as the axle moves up. The most it moves down is at an angle up from horizontal, at full bottom out.

My Rusty Knee
    Hi Chaps,

Here is my new Rohloff equipped steed

The frame is steel (853 main tubes) and was built by a friend of mine who is just starting up a frame building company called Swarf Cycles.

I am chuffed to bits with it to say the least. I have had my rohloff for about 6 years, I ran it on a full sus bike with a tensioner, but it is so nice running it with a dedicated frame with out any springy tensioners

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Nice!

Is that a KS Lev that I see as the seatpost? (I'm a telescoping post fan, so kudos if so.)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

My Rusty Knee
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Nice!

Is that a KS Lev that I see as the seatpost? (I'm a telescoping post fan, so kudos if so.)
    Cheers . Yes it is....at first before using a dropper I was like what's the point...they are heavyer and I need to know where the bike is by feeling the saddle on my thigh.....then I tried one and realised I was just plain wrong ....best thing to happen to my riding in years . Amazing how moving the saddle away from your balls at will helps give you more balls

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    Cheers . Yes it is....at first before using a dropper I was like what's the point...they are heavyer and I need to know where the bike is by feeling the saddle on my thigh.....then I tried one and realised I was just plain wrong ....best thing to happen to my riding in years . Amazing how moving the saddle away from your balls at will helps give you more balls
    Thanks for that feedback dude. I only accept criticism of telescoping posts from people who've actually tried one. I think the naysayers who haven't ridden hard on one are just ridiculing change, and don't know what they're missing.

Hell, my cornering improved with a dropper post. Amazing.

Sorry for off-topic! Sweet bike dude.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

My Rusty Knee
    Thanks for that feedback dude. I only accept criticism of telescoping posts from people who've actually tried one. I think the naysayers who haven't ridden hard on one are just ridiculing change, and don't know what they're missing.

Hell, my cornering improved with a dropper post. Amazing.

Sorry for off-topic! Sweet bike dude.
    lol, nothing wrong with spreading the dropper post love

I like it

My Rusty Knee
    I finished my 3rd DIY bike frame. Some custom Lefty clamps from MendonCycleSmith and an old clamp style Lefty give a 17.5mm *reverse* Pugsley style axle offset. It's like the Pug's rear end, just the other way. It gives enough clearance to stuff a fat tire on the front.

I like the Alfine so far. The clutch feeling is a little weird, but not bad weird.

Allow me to return the compliment....that is bonkers....like it!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    double post

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Currently in winter campus cruzer mode right now.

Last edited by C9ollie; 12-17-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: formatting

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Kinesis Decade Virsa Prestige

16in frame (rider is only 5'7")
    Alfine8 on Mavic 26in EN521's
    Deore hydro's
    running 32:22

after only recently converting from singlespeed I'm wondering if hub is a bit heavy and I be better off with a nexus sg-3d55 that i've now found out about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-virsa-prestige-alfine8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

GT peace alfine 8

small gt peace 26in
    alfine8 on Mavic XM719's
    32:23
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-gt-peace-alfine8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike - you will probably get used to the weight - just don't focus on it.
    I have used a Nexus 3 speed and its not too bad - just not quite as robust as the Alfine 8.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mc sin

Mountain Cycle SIN frame, Marzocchi 66 front, Marzocchi Rocco rear, Crank Bros seatpost, speedhub & DMR revolver front hub, Magura Gustav brakes, Raceface DH cranks & 36T ring, custom rockring, TIME FR pedals, Maxxis Minion DH 2,7 front & rear tires, old Mavic 321 rims... Spank (!!!) bar & stem, Chris King steelset headset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-11-04-2012-low.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja View Post
    My Marin finally got his new chain tensioner. Chain tensioner was provided by Speedskater (thank you!) Fitting it was not easy (i have now 4 different octalink supports and one destroyed crank :-) and tolerances are very tight, but it works and looks good.

Could you not make an ISCG, Bottom Bracket or bottom linkage mounted idler to get rid of that bikes chain suck while you were at it. You could run a shorter chain then, and have less slack needed to be taken up.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by rekrutacja View Post
    My Marin finally got his new chain tensioner. Chain tensioner was provided by Speedskater (thank you!) Fitting it was not easy (i have now 4 different octalink supports and one destroyed crank :-) and tolerances are very tight, but it works and looks good.

crazy! I never saw this bike until now, and I coincidentally did the same thing on my Nickel. Who is Speedskater?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post

What's the story with the brake adapter, I hope you've put the proper size adapter on since that photo was taken as you don't seem to have much pad/rotor contact.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast