Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    A Man Of The Truth
    I'm trying to buy a house this summer and my bank says I have to pay off my car at the same time otherwise they can't give me a loan. So no, I can't afford to get a rholloff right now. I'm very much not a fan of grip shifts also. And my rim is 36h so I'd need a whole new wheel. If shimano says no more free hubs, I guess I'll try to demand a free full XT 27 speed drive train, in exchange for my never-worked Alfine 11. Even that won't go over well. Its been a year and a few days so I don't know if my credit card company can do anything for me, but that might be my last option. Or my true last option, which is I might be riding a single speed full suspension bike this year. Which will suck more than you know. 35 mile urban rides will be a thing of the past. Riding TO the woods will also be a thing of the past. I am bummin.

mtbr member
    Sucks. Good luck and keep us posted. Also, if they have anything to say about the failures, please post. Thanks.

A Man Of The Truth
    I've asked my LBS each time, if Shimano has had any comments/suggestions/explanations/recommendations etc but they never have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That is really crap.....I would think the warranty on the hubs should be for each one you have been given, rather than from the original unit. I've done a quick search and found a 2012 attendee list with the vice president of shimano america listed included his email address. A friend of mine used the same tactic when dealing with product or service issues here in the UK - find the boss and talk to them directly. Tell him how all this is affecting you not just the details of hub failures! Worth a try at least! http://www.bicycleconference.com/use...ndees-List.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have removed rim decals and fork decals to make the bike look less busy and more color coordinated. Enjoy it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-picture-041.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-picture-043.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-picture-004.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-picture-010.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-picture-035.jpg  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    sevencyclist, that's a rad bike. And you run more gnarly tires in the front - good choice.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^
    Nice!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    I'm trying to buy a house this summer and my bank says I have to pay off my car at the same time otherwise they can't give me a loan. So no, I can't afford to get a rholloff right now. I'm very much not a fan of grip shifts also. And my rim is 36h so I'd need a whole new wheel. If shimano says no more free hubs, I guess I'll try to demand a free full XT 27 speed drive train, in exchange for my never-worked Alfine 11. Even that won't go over well. Its been a year and a few days so I don't know if my credit card company can do anything for me, but that might be my last option. Or my true last option, which is I might be riding a single speed full suspension bike this year. Which will suck more than you know. 35 mile urban rides will be a thing of the past. Riding TO the woods will also be a thing of the past. I am bummin.
    As a big IGH fan I hate reading this stuff but it does seem you've been really unlucky with the A11. To be honest with you I'm not convinced by the A11 over the A8 for offroad. For example:-

upthread I have pics of my shiny new custom Ti with Rohloff and I quickly realised that was overkill for my offroad needs. So I have the Rohloff on a Ti touring frame now instead, mainly funded by selling the Ti 29er frame. For thrashing around offroad I picked up a Karate Monkey frame and whacked on some Salsa Cromoto 29er rigid steel forks. At the moment that's running an SRAM I-9 hub gear and it's holding up well. But it's not got a great offroad reputation and I may move it to my wifes pootling bike before I kill it. To replace it I'm thinking an Alfine 8 and gearing it pretty low. A 34x21 will give me 25 to 76 gear inches, I can get up everything I need to with 25" and I spin out 76" at about 27mph.

That's a long way of saying could you maybe get a deal with the shop for an A8 plus some money back? It's certainly more likely than being able to get a full refund on the A11. You'd get the same low gear as the A11 and only really lose out on the top two plus a bigger gap at 5-6.

A Man Of The Truth
    Going from a 27 speed to an 11 speed was already a reduction in range. I got by with it but I wasn't thrilled. Losing even more top end just isn't going to cut it. As much as I love the idea of IGH, if Alfine11 #5 doesn't cut it, I'll be pushing for a 2x9 replacement more than an Alfine8. I figure in a 2x9, if I get a 28 and 40t chainrings, and a standard cassette, that's the same range as I have now with the 11. That will have to do, but hopefully this 11 lives.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine has recoloured his grey Nexus Inter 8 and installed a disc brake adapter.

The Nexus "Speedhub" now runs on his every day bike (sorry, no MTB).

Cheers
    Flo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Going from a 27 speed to an 11 speed was already a reduction in range. I got by with it but I wasn't thrilled. Losing even more top end just isn't going to cut it. As much as I love the idea of IGH, if Alfine11 #5 doesn't cut it, I'll be pushing for a 2x9 replacement more than an Alfine8. I figure in a 2x9, if I get a 28 and 40t chainrings, and a standard cassette, that's the same range as I have now with the 11. That will have to do, but hopefully this 11 lives.
    Ah, fair enough, I think I took your reference to SS too literally and so thought you may be happy going to fewer gears. Good luck with the next A11 anyway.

I barf on top tubes
    There is nothing I dont like about this bike... awesome build and finish....

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowinFlo View Post
    A friend of mine has recoloured his grey Nexus Inter 8 and installed a disc brake adapter.

The Nexus "Speedhub" now runs on his every day bike (sorry, no MTB).

Cheers
    Flo
    Kind of like putting one of those kits on your Fiero to make it look like a Ferrari? We always made fun of that guy.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    The original look of the Nexus is quite lame, so he wanted a new colour. Everyone, who ever saw a Rohloff knows that this one isn´t one. So the decal only is for relaxed people who can handle the fake.

MONKEYMAN
    So the decal only is for relaxed people who can handle the fake.
    LOL.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The original look of the Nexus is quite lame, so he wanted a new colour. Everyone, who ever saw a Rohloff knows that this one isn´t one. So the decal only is for relaxed people who can handle the fake.
    I'd have made a decal that said "Lolhoff" to complete the tongue in cheek nod to the real deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Loving my Pace 104 Alfine :-)

Edit >>> Not enough posts to put up a pic :-(
    MArk

-----------

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Alfine 11 upgrade

Giant Seek 0 2011 bought second hand now under new managment: wheels rebuilt with new alfine 11 speed rear hub and XT front hub, Wellgo magnesium M138 pedals, BB7 calipers and SD7 Ti levers, 25.4mm FSA carbon bar, Poste Moderne Smica seatpost and stem, Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres, Ritchey WCS Biomax saddle, ti bolts/nuts. A lot of the changes were from stuff that I had spare. Am pleased with it and it weighs around 24lb. Alfine 8 and 11 are approxiately the same weight. Have dropped to 39t on front chainring (20t rear). Will not be letting it out of sight when parked!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0617-smaller.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0620-smaller.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0624-smaller.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0627-smaller.jpg  

I barf on top tubes
    Thats a nice looking ride...Those Giants are so clean looking.

mtbr member

Last edited by Yoreskillz; 07-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

almost two years and still working

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0239.jpg

Keep those yellow marks lined up and the cable friction free as much as possible.

Ride & Smile
    Nuvinci 360 has been trouble free since September 2011. Swapped out my Racing Ralphs for some Big Apples and finally added a tangle bag.

KanzaKrūzer
    Salsa Warbird | Kona Unit

rollin

Nickel 140

Still trying to figure out a different chain tensioning setup, but I'm putting an Alfine-8 on a Santa Cruz Nickel!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-nickel12.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-nickel7.jpg  

A Man Of The Truth
    Its hard to tell without bouncing around on your bike, but it looks like you have lot more chain than you need. What I would do, since you have no chain-stays to worry about, is get the YESS bb tensioner. Its like what you have, but on a spring, not just fixed. Use just the right amount of chain so the chain doesn't restrict suspension travel, but there is minimal extra. A spring-ed tensioner at the BB and nothing at the derailer hanger is really an IDEAL setup, but I could never do that on my Maverick because the chain-stays are huge and right in the way.

rollin
    Its hard to tell without bouncing around on your bike, but it looks like you have lot more chain than you need. What I would do, since you have no chain-stays to worry about, is get the YESS bb tensioner. Its like what you have, but on a spring, not just fixed. Use just the right amount of chain so the chain doesn't restrict suspension travel, but there is minimal extra. A spring-ed tensioner at the BB and nothing at the derailer hanger is really an IDEAL setup, but I could never do that on my Maverick because the chain-stays are huge and right in the way.
    That's exactly what I'm going for....a sprung roller off of the BB, with no tensioner at the hub. I looked into the YESS bb tensioner, but they say it's not designed for full suspension, and doesn't pick up enough slack. But that set up is designed for bikes with chainstays.

I attempted the high placed, static roller, as an experiment. I found that with a really high roller on the Nickel, it helps with chain growth, because the chain length below the cranks shortens, while chain length above grows. Below the cranks, the chain is angled up, as the wheel travels up, the chain becomes horizontal, and thus a shorter distance.

My plan is a high place, high sprung roller or sprocket, looking similar to what I have. I'm switching to a 36T chainring, to help give more vertical space, and take up an extra 3/4 link that I couldn't remove.

Side note: Yes, the chain is about 3/4 link too long. I let the air out of the suspension, compressed suspension, and then set the shortest chain length at full compression, with no roller. It is about 3/4 link too long. The other option would've been 1/4 link too short at full bottom out. Don't want to blow up the bike. Hoping to pick up the extra slack by adjusting my gearing a bit. Currently, it's 32x22. I'm thinking 36x22 will be nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-nickel.jpg  

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast