Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Drew, im horribly jealous of your bike! Id love to own that thing. Beautiful.

A Man Of The Truth
    #3 was a dud from the factory, on to #4 . . .

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    #3 was a dud from the factory, on to #4 . . .
    Yikes man. Gettin' the shaft...
    Latitude: 44.93 N

A Man Of The Truth
    If I can have all of my bike problems in the off season, i'll never complain about how bad those problems are.
    I still think everyone should tear off their derailers and pick up an Alfine-11 or a Rholoff. Maybe in a few years, shimano will come out with an IGH that is more burly than the 11, more like the Rholoff. Maybe it will have an extra gear or two for an even wider range. And maybe they'll call it "XT". But until then, even a problematic Alfine is better than the never ending broken derailers!

Bicycle Obsessed

Surly Pugsley w/ Alfine 11

Here is my Surly Pugsley with an Alfine 11 (21t) setup. It's running a Middleburn RS7 UNO crankset (34t)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_1203.jpg  

mtbr member

Karate Monkey with Alfine 11

Just got a new ride! The new bike gods were apparently napping because I got to take it for a ride today as well (and it was 85 and sunny!)

Last edited by Wryknow; 03-26-2012 at 01:18 AM.

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Just curious, what happens when you shift one of these while climbing? Do they shift under load? Do you have to pedal easy like a derailleur bike during shifts, or power up then slow down to shift?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Depends on the hub.

NuVinci N360 - you can shift under a decent amount of pedaling power, more than with a derailleur.
    Alfine 8 - you have to let up significantly when shifting to an easier gear, especially from gear 2 to gear 1... that gear change in particular is kind of annoying. Shifting to a harder gear doesn't require as much easing off.
    Rohloff - can't comment, haven't owned one.

A Man Of The Truth
    With my Alfine-11's, you can't shift under power while climbing. If you try, you could significantly damage the hub. BUT, it's not really an issue. The shifts are SO fast, once you get your timing down, you can shift between pedal strokes. Even if you are full on mashing it, you only have to ease up for a tiny fraction of a second. As soon as you hit the shift lever, your shift is done and you can get back on it. So the timing takes some getting used to. But once you get the new timing down, you spend significantly more time putting your force to the ground.

FireEye Shortfuse 380
    Mar 2012
    Hmmm may be going to the shop to check this out... I love a straight chain line.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's an almost instant shift, not like a derailler at all. Just pause pedaling and click the button, your're in the next gear. Allegedly Shimano claimed that the Alfine 11 can handle changing gears while pedaling but I have absolutely no interest in seeing if this is true No point in taking a chance with it and there's really no need to do so in my limited experience to date.

A Man Of The Truth
    The 11 can sometimes handle up shifts while pedaling but NOT downshifts. I highly recommend you don't try. You only have to have one bad skip where it slips while you're mashing hard up a hill, and you can destroy that gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Fat Sand Bike with 11 speed

Well this my Fat Sand Bike with a 11 speed alpine with hid. rear disc conversion from a nexus 3 speed.

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by jnl1105 View Post
    Well this my Fat Sand Bike with a 11 speed alpine with hid. rear disc conversion from a nexus 3 speed.
    So. If you threw that thing in the water, would it float?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    funny you should ask was considering trying it........

A Man Of The Truth
    If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably float. Maybe less likely since it's steel not aluminum. But that's an awful lot of volume in those tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    actually it is aluminium

A Man Of The Truth
    $10 on "Floats"

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    You don't have to guess. It floats.

surly pugsley floatation test - YouTube

Craig Calfee actually has a thing about traversing Africa on a fat bike, as water crossings often degrade with lack of upkeep, and it's easier to ford those crossings with a bike that floats. I'll see if I can find the video again.

A Man Of The Truth
    You know, I've never actually thrown my bike into a lake. So for all I know, my bike might float too. It's aluminum with 2.5" hookworms. But I wouldn't subject my IGH and suspension to lakewater (on purpose).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My Marin finally got his new chain tensioner. Chain tensioner was provided by Speedskater (thank you!) Fitting it was not easy (i have now 4 different octalink supports and one destroyed crank :-) and tolerances are very tight, but it works and looks good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The trek with a lefty runs a nuvinci, the KHS urban uno is a fixed gear 3-speed, the hooligan i run an alfine 8, the sharkfire is a 7 speed nexus. My preference is the nuvinci
    jnl1105,

Love the bikes, some really nice stuff you got there! I was interested in the fixed gear 3 speed myself, but I heard skidding was basically a no go, so I went with a freewheel hub. Nuvinci is sickkk..

Anyways, my question is: how you like that swing fork? I was looking into getting it a while back but I heard that it actuates when you stop quickly, and that just sounds like an endo- inducing scenario if I ever heard of one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well with it on a fixed gear I don't use much of the front brake and with a (if memory serves correct 180 rotor) I don't have to do much to do that worthless thing called slowing down lol

I can still do stoppies but it is a little more tedious........ yes it does like on most front suspended bike it will "de-suspend" under heavy breaking but riding with that in mind it is not much of a problem....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    well with it on a fixed gear I don't use much of the front brake and with a (if memory serves correct 180 rotor) I don't have to do much to do that worthless thing called slowing down lol

I can still do stoppies but it is a little more tedious........ yes it does like on most front suspended bike it will "de-suspend" under heavy breaking but riding with that in mind it is not much of a problem....
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Where did you get the fork from? Is it really a huge improvement over a rigid fork? Significantly better than a carbon fork? I'm looking looking to get my girlfriend a suspension fork for her bike, but it's a roadie and obviously not too much out there for those kind of bikes. This one popped up during my search.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i bought it direct from suntour for $125 if I remember and yes it is I was going to go carbon but really liked the small amount of suspension, as I ride on resiste 700c 45 tires smooth as butter

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast