Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dami View Post
    It's a Kona Bass frame with Rohloff!

With the concentric pivot bearings about the BB, I always thought this frame was a good candidate for an IGH!

Good call!!! Looks like a fun bike!

Music & Bikes
    Laced my 10 year old Speedhub for my Fatty , and got a new one for my MTB !!!

Makes for a very nice setup for deep snow conditions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dscn1709.jpg  

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0022.jpg  

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Here's mine, feast your eyes

Oh yeah, that's right, it doesn't work any more. Thanks Shimano!

On the plus side, a spangly new Rohloff Speedhub is on it's way from Germany. Perhaps I should have waited before posting but I'm simply too emotional about the demise of my Alfine 11.

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-100_7959.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-100_7972.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-100_7998.jpg

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Fandango View Post

I'm simply too emotional about the demise of my Alfine 11.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7959.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	985345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7972.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	985346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7998.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	985347
    Details of it's demise? Brutal abuse? JRA? Looks good except for the shift mech in the last pic.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Details of it's demise? Brutal abuse? JRA? Looks good except for the shift mech in the last pic.
    I don't think I abused it other than transgressing Shimano's pathetically high minimum gear ratio. I'm not generating lots of torque or crashing the gears. The rest I have described in my post, a work in progress.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    I don't think I abused it other than transgressing Shimano's pathetically high minimum gear ratio. I'm not generating lots of torque or crashing the gears. The rest I have described in my post, a work in progress.
    Thanks for the links to the A-11 thread.

I'm running a Sturmey Archer S3X 3 spd fixed gear hub. It failed on me once, because the "shift key" was gnawed away. On that hub, the key moves along the axle to engage different gear sets - and apparently the engagement teeth on the inside of the sun gears nibbled away at the key during shifts until it was gone. S-A cheerfully sent me a whole new set of guts which has operated well for about the same amount of use as the original. Time for a service/inspection?

I note that I do "unload" the hub before shifting, but with a fixed gear the load can come from accel or decel - and the parts are always turning.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

singlespeed smash brother

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Singular Hummingbird Rohloff 96

lousy indoor pic,
    but its a start for me as a "never taking a picture of anything" person

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-hummingbird.jpg

singular hummingbird, rohloff knawing on a monkey bone, gd turbo lp, bb7, sks fenders (nothing cool about a muddy back after every ride), yada yada

this is my favorite bike - lot of muddy riding (min. 180 km every week) and almost no service time for the drivetrain and anything else (less than my last road bike)

so i guess i have to take the camera with me next time to do it some justice

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

On the plus side, a spangly new Rohloff Speedhub is on it's way from Germany. Perhaps I should have waited before posting but I'm simply too emotional about the demise of my Alfine 11.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7959.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	985345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7972.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	985346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7998.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	985347
    The worst thing is that you can not replace only the broken part! This is the major drawback for the shimano IGHs.

mtbr member
    I usually ride SS, but I got fed up of long rides to more distant trails so I built up this to be competent on the road, and added gears because doing 30 - 40 miles of road work on a mtb SS ratio plain sucks.

The tyres are Big Apples slicks, a compromise for the road miles, but they work pretty well off the road except in slick conditions. Who would have thought it? Slicks ain't good for slick...

Or, in other words, riding offroad just got more "interesting".

Overall I'm happy with it. It's taking me to trails that are in that too close to be bothered putting it in the car category, and best of all I don't have to return to a car, I can come out on the road elsewhere.

Gears are Alfine 8, dead reliable. I wouldn't touch an Alfine 11, and the pics in the previous posts above confirm that to me. (Don't ignore input ratio recommendations folks!)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks great that Brian. Glad you have found a use for the frame.

Now I have to admit that I didn't even know this forum existed on here! But I am another Alfine 8 fan, so here are my two.

First up the Moonie. Changed from the dangly gears about 18 months ago and no regrets. These things should run hub gears.

And next the Genesis Fortitude adventure. They sold this bike complete with the Alfine 11 but I bought this one as a frameset and built it with an 8. I use it as an NCN bike.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    ^ Cool bikes! A fellow "I don't have time to talk to you about rolling resistance, I need traction" fatty rider, I see.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Karate Monkey bike packing rig, just returned from a long weekend away in the Sarawak highlands, mostly logging trails and some shared use single track, but thoroughly deserted at this time of year.

This is my multi day bike and also works pretty well as a hard tail. This set up (together with a 14 Liter hydration) pack will cart enough for a long weekend, in the tropics where no sleeping bag / cold weather gear is needed. I use a sweet roll and seat bag when needed

I have a few tweaks to make to the cockpit, thud buster and new saddle and also probably going to ditch the Ergon touring grips and experiment with different bars but otherwise it's pretty much spot on

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-km_rohl1.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-km-rohl2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good job! 2006 Yeti 575

2006 Yeti 575 w/ RS Revs, ZTR355 rims, SLX brakes and a Gravity Dropper post.

XT Cranks w/ Works Components NW 34t chainring
    Alfine 8 with a 20t sprocket
    On-One Doofer tensioner (was running a jury rigged rear mech)

Love this set up, used to alternate my slidey dropout Kona Explosif between SS and the Alfine, but it became a permanent SS and with a wornout drivetrain on my Yeti and the Alfine lying in the parts box, I couldn't resist trying it.

Works fantastic, the result is a nice quiet bike with great chainring clearance, low maintenance and as a bonus, the solid axle Alfine has stiffened up the carbon rear end a treat.

And when I say low maintenance, my chain has been on there for perhaps three years, its so sloppy the 1% chain wear checker waggles back and forth 2mm and it just keeps on going, the drivetrain has had one gear cable change and after a particularly disgusting gritty ride in the UK I had to clean up the sticky shifter ring on the hub, about 5 minutes in all!

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-11391243_886636368060188_3174377536827332154_n.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-10430434_880810478642777_1945330456444034575_n.jpg

Home-made belt drive conversion. Almost six months on it so far, and no problems to report. Loving it. Can't see ever going back to external gears, or a chain.

Build thread here:
    New build - Alfine / belt / 26er

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    Looks great that Brian. Glad you have found a use for the frame.

Now I have to admit that I didn't even know this forum existed on here! But I am another Alfine 8 fan, so here are my two.

First up the Moonie. Changed from the dangly gears about 18 months ago and no regrets. These things should run hub gears.

And next the Genesis Fortitude adventure. They sold this bike complete with the Alfine 11 but I bought this one as a frameset and built it with an 8. I use it as an NCN bike.

Can you tell me what chainring/cog combo you're running on your Moonie? Thanks!

mtbr member

Redline Monocog 29er Released

This bike was stolen from me in 2007 after I had it for about 2 months. A couple weeks ago, a guy told me he bought it from Craigslist for $100. He said he wanted to just give it to me, but I paid him what he paid and got my bike back. He found my info by searching for "Nexus hub" and "Redline Monocog" he said. It seems plausible. Then he found me on a local mountain bike forum.

I just added the drop bars the other day and the Jtek shifter, but I had installed the 8-speed Nexus back in 2007.
    Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0003.jpg

I got to ride it about 30 miles yesterday and really like the bars. I got used to the shifting right away. I have a couple other bikes with bar-end shifters that use derailleurs so I thought it would be weird to have the backward action of the Nexus.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-image.jpegInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-image.jpgInternal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-image.jpegThis is my Sturmey Archer C-50 5-speed on a BD Deadeye Monster. I am using a homemade 34t sprocket with a Luna 30t chainwheel. It has about 350 miles and is breaking in nicely. Very quiet with zero freewheel clicking.

Music & Bikes
    Upgraded my Fatbike with my third Rohloff

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-img_0991-.jpg
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    I've been after a Rohloff for over 10 years now and as my singlespeed was getting too much for longer trips, I finally got one. Also got Matt at Talbot Frameworks to add the cable guides and sort out a fancy new paint job.

It's so nice being able to cruise up hills now!

Internal Hub MTBs, post yours here!-dsc_0328-4-.jpg

More photos here: Pete?s Rohloff 29er | Talbot Frameworks

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112