mtbr member

Which internal gear hubs should I research?

Has anyone put together a chart showing all of the internal gear hub offerings and their features/pros/cons/cost/ratios/interface requirements/etc...? I assume not since there's no sticky for it in this forum.

I currently run 32/22 up front and 11-34 on the rear. I can get by with just using the 32 up front and all of the rear gears on the back most rides. When I go on really long rides or out of town where the hills are steeper I need the 22 up front.

I'm considering going with an internal gear hub. What are the top 3 choices for XC/AM riding? I'll research those.

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

mtbr member
    In order of percieved performance, funcion and capabilties -

Rohloff
    Alfine 11/8
    Nuvinci N360

I have the Rohloff and both Alfines not tried the Nuvinci but have heard good things.
    If cost is not an issue the Rohloff is the no brainer choice.
    I really like the possibilities of the pinion 18 options frames, could be the almost perfect solution but very new and again quite costly but about the same as a high end frame and Rohloff combination.
    Last edited by -jes; 06-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.

mtbr member
    I'll check those out. Thank you for the info.

It would be nice to see a chart listing all the relevant info for each type as a sticky.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Try here

mtbr member
    Thanks -jes! Perfect. If I turn this into a table do you think the mod would post it as a sticky?

mtbr member
    I supsect there lots of stuff hidden within the mtbr IGH forum as well, it would be good to have the techical stuff summarised in a nice format ......... go for it.

They may, not sure of the process would be, but asking nicely is a good start
    Last edited by -jes; 06-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    Try here
    The conclusions are a little dated with respect to the SRAM 9 speed vs the Alfine 8. SRAM 9 speed sucks so bad they pulled it from the market.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    ...I currently run 32/22 up front and 11-34 on the rear. I can get by with just using the 32 up front and all of the rear gears on the back most rides...
    If you can live with a 1x11/34 cassette, then an Alfine 8 can give the same spread/range. Very robust, less than $350 for the kit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -jes View Post
    Nuvinci but have heard good things.
    It is not bad, shifts very smooth even with force on the pedals.
    But it is pretty heavy und has just 360%. With two chainrings the total gear ratio is acceptable.
    ro