Traversing the windy bits

New question here. IGH's capable for steep hills?

Hi there, I've tried searching but wasn't able to find much of anything so I'll just come out and create a new thread.

I'm thinking of either installing a IGH (Alfine, Rohloff, i-Motion, doesn't matter) in an older steel rigid to make it into a commuter, but in South Korea there are some pretty monster hills (10+ degree grade).

Would any of the current 8-gear hubs be able to handle 200-250 lbs of hard cranking up a hill in granny gear?

Thanks!
    "The road we choose is rarely the path we follow." ~ARO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaky_Freitag View Post
    I'm thinking of either installing a IGH (Alfine, Rohloff, i-Motion, doesn't matter) in an older steel rigid to make it into a commuter, but in South Korea there are some pretty monster hills (10+ degree grade).

Would any of the current 8-gear hubs be able to handle 200-250 lbs of hard cranking up a hill in granny gear?

Thanks!
    You mean hills of 10% gradient (ie. 1in 10) ? I'm nowhere near your weight (more like 150lbs) but I've been regularly using an Alfine 8 on off-road stuff a lot steeper than that (like frequently 20-25%) for a couple of years and have found no problems. I'm running the Alfine geared at 32:23 too, so pretty low.

However, I'm considerate to it, in that I don't expect it to change under load and I'm pretty smooth in my climbing style. Also I think that gearing down well is kinder to the hub than running higher gearing but having to hammer your way up a climb as if you were on a singlespeed.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    a rohloff gives you mtb gearing so you'd have no problem on one of those. Same as Andy, 20-25% frequently on and off road.

Frt Range, CO
    If you don't shift under load, the Alfine 8 and the new Nexus 8 are bullet-proof. If you go with a Nexus 8, be sure to get a newer 8C31, 8R31, 8R36 version, Don't buy an older Nexus 8C20, 8R20, 8C25, 8R25 versions, they don't have good sealing and tend to breakdown.

Glove Softener
    I am over 250 lbs and I beat the hell out of my Alfine 8 on all sorts of terrain and it works fine. There is an increased risk of causing failure the lower your input gear ratio, IMHO. I use a 44:22 chainring:sprocket ratio right now and I have never had a problem, but sometimes with very steep hills I wish I had a lower gear. Many others use lower gears without problems.
    Don't do what Donnie Don't does.

PRETENDURO
    I’ve been doing steep climbs (15% - 30%+ grades) with a 32x18 on my Alfine 8 for about a year now, and no problems 4,800 miles later. I am hard on equipment… yet I “only” weigh 175lbs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Master of None
    I've ruined my Alfine 8 and Alfine 11 both the same way, with a smashed 2nd gear pawl. This was not due to missing shifts. I'm 205 lbs.

Go for the Nuvinci.