mtbr member
    Jan 2012

New question here. IGH on a Fat-Bike: Is offset and dishing even necessary?

I want to buy/build a fat-bike and use a NuVinci 360 IGH.
    I'd also like to buy/build a set of 29er wheels for summer.

Is all this offset frame geometry and asymetrical dishing of wheels really necessary for a Fat-Bike with an IGH?

Or are we just stuck with lop-sided frames and wheels because they were all originally designed for multi-sprocket cassettes & cranks?

Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing Bigfoot! Because, symetrical frames that can fit really fat tires like Bud & Lou, are also too wide for the NuVinci. And don't get me started trying to include a Gates belt drive into the equation!

The closest thing that I've found is the 907 Tusken. But, it's offset and can't handle tires wider than 4 inches.

Thanx, Dave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You may already be aware of it, but have you heard of the Origin-8 Crawler? It comes equipped with a NuVinci 360. The frame has 135mm hub spacing front and rear and is centered (no dishing required). There might be room for nearly 5" tires...not sure one that front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanx for that tip, Meta. I hadn't heard of the Crawler before. I used the search function a little bit last night, and it looks like the first Crawlers are being shipped right now. Also seems that 4" tires may be the limit, but, that's the trade-off for easier symetrical 29er wheel campatability. I'll definitely watch for some reviews, hopefully coming soon?

Thanx again, Dave.