Thread: IGH Commuter

lives to ride
    Feb 2005

IGH Commuter

Does anyone run an IGH on their commuter?

I have a Traitor Crusade SS frameset that I plan on building up in about a month and I'm really interested in running an IGH on it.

The Crusade SS frame is 130mm and no disc mounts, so I was thinking an 8 speed Nexus would be best.

Does anyone know if Shimano still make a Nexus wheelset? Seeing that I need rim brakes, the Alfine wheelsets that I've seen won't work for me unfortunately.

Any suggestions would be great though

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    don't worry about buying a hub in a wheel, just buy the hub you want and have a shop build it up to match the front wheel. you prolly don't need the alfine 11 unless you have some really steep hills, also think about the future, you may want a hub that can be disk, in case you change frames, or sell the hub.

alfine 8 or nexus 8 will work fine.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    low on the alfine 8 and 11 are the same aren't they?

I like cake.
    Jun 2006
    I use a 3 speed IGH for commuting, and it works great. So far so good with the IGH
    I like cake

Music & Bikes
    I use an 8 speed Nexus Hub (same internal as Alfine) as one of my commuters.

Works well for the price.

I'm on my 3rd Shimano IGH in 7 years.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Frt Range, CO
    Either the Nexus 8R36 or an Alfine 8 is bulletproof, make sure you only purchase one of the two. The older Nexus version weren't so hot. If you go with the Nexus 8R36 you can add a roller brake.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Excellent, thanks for the tips. Realistically I should just man up and build the wheels myself. I've done it once before, just not super confident with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been running IGH's (Nexus and Alfine 8, Sturmey S3X) on my commuters for a total of 6 years now with great results. My commute is currently only 15 miles RT and flat, but the first 2 years I was on IGH with a 25 mile RT and 700-800 of net elevation gain on 10%-18% grades in places. The hubs have really served me well.

FWIW, I have a lightly used (600 miles or so) Alfine 8 built into a bombproof Mavic A719 build that I am presently selling (just bought an Alfine 11). It's on Ebay with a BIN of $299. PM me if interested.

I've used the grip shift and trigger shifters for flat bar and the J-Tek bar end for drop bars, and the J-Tek is far and away the most pleasurable to use, followed by the triggers, and the twist shift in a distant third.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have built several IGH commuters. Here are some pics:

The Marinoni had two iterations - one with a Sturmey Archer S3X (with freewheel) and then with an Alfine 8. Brilliant bike.
    In its 3-speed configuration, I did some nice weekend rides in the Wasatch mountains and was able to manage a ride to a local mountain pass with 3,600 feet elevation gain and an average grade of about 5% (with 18% in sections). The low gear was 47 inches, so it required momentum and strength, but it was doable.

The other bike started life as a belt-driven SS that I built an Alfine 8 wheel for and used for commuting as well as quasi-cyclocross.

I've since sold the Norco (blue bike).

The IGH format works REALLY well for commuting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IGH Commuter-marinoni-drop-side-full.jpg  

IGH Commuter-marinoni-alfine-side.jpg  

IGH Commuter-marinoni-drive-train.jpg  

IGH Commuter-calgary-autumn-bike-ride-norco-vesta-closeup.jpg  

IGH Commuter-norco-vesta-alfine-rear-angle.jpg  

IGH Commuter-noni-alfine-2011-011.jpg  

Last edited by canyoneagle; 08-16-2011 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Since you are considering a conversion of an existing frame, here are some closeups of how I chose to run cable for my configurations:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IGH Commuter-norco-vesta-alfine-hub-closeup-2.jpg  

IGH Commuter-83-marinoni-special-porteur-rear-hub.jpg  

IGH Commuter-marinoni-alfine-closeup.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been commuting to various jobs on IGH bikes for the last 30 years. Here's the latest ride moments after I assembled the last part:

IGH Commuter-dawes-briercliffe-xrk8-w-.jpg

This bike has been in service for a year now, and I really enjoy riding it.

mtbr member
    Are these hubs stout enough for a longtail cargo commuter?
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Great stuff canyoneagle!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I got a Rohloff right from the off, but you can get such cheap 3 speeds that are perfect for commuting - def go for a 3 speed for cheaps, hen work out if you need any more which will be more expensive!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a Nuvinci N360 for commuting - highly recommended!

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    I've got an Alfine 8 on my MTB commuter that I use for winter, it makes a great low maintenance solution for those days when the singlespeed just seems too much like hard work.

Derailleur gears and daily commuting = too much maintenance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    I have a Nuvinci N360 for commuting - highly recommended!
    I built my Nuvinci-based wheel last weekend, in anticipation of the arrival of my Singular Gryphon frame any day now. I look forward to experiencing the Nuvinci.

For the past 7 months I've been riding my son's 29er with XT level drive train, and can attest to the fact that IGH's have spoiled me forever. I've ridden and raced road and mountain bikes with conventional drive trains since the late 70's, and had thought nothing of it.
    I HATE derailleurs now. They are so clunky, ugly, dirty and require so much more attention than IGH's. After riding IGH's (Nexus/Alfine 8) almost exclusively for the past 6 years, I'm sold.
    Consider me converted!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I run an Alfine 8 on my Kona Dr. Fine commuter and have had no issues although it has only been in use for one year. Just built up a Surly Pugsley with an Alfine 11. Will soon build a Salsa El Mariachi with an Alfine 11 and front suspension fork for use on trails and may take the place of the Dr. Fine for commuting. You bet, IGH works fine for commuting and much more.
    Last edited by Zeitlupe; 01-08-2012 at 06:43 AM.

President, CEO of Earth
    I use an Alfine 8 on my year-round dirt-road commuter. It has been flawless. It tends to feel a little slower in very cold weather - I was working to stay on top of 4th gear during a -20c spell last week; yesterday was milder (around freezing) and I was cruising in 6th.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Does anyone run an IGH on their commuter?

Built my GF this Surly Cross Check Nexus 8 commuter a year ago and she loves it. She commutes ~3 times per week. More in the summer and less in the winter. It's been flawless for her.

Surly Cross Check - a set on Flickr

cross check The Lazy Rando Blog…
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com