KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D

IGH and Airlines

Any IGH owners travel with their bikes on a plane? Since some IGH's have a lot oil in the hubs, I was wondering if they ever leak when faced with the extreme barometric changes of a bag checked on a flight.

I'm considering an IGH on a new folding touring bike but would not want it if it's going to leak on other items in the bike case.

Thanks

Another Retro Grouch
    Only IGH hub that comes stock with oil is the Rohloff. All the others come with grease from the factory.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KMA
    Any IGH owners travel with their bikes on a plane? Since some IGH's have a lot oil in the hubs, I was wondering if they ever leak when faced with the extreme barometric changes of a bag checked on a flight.

I'm considering an IGH on a new folding touring bike but would not want it if it's going to leak on other items in the bike case.

Thanks
    No problems with Rohloff, I've done trans pacific flights a few times and over to NZ a few times and never had any leak out of the ordinary. Ordinary being a slight film builds up around the axle from time to time, but just wipe it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMA

Thanks
    Why do people assume there are "extreme" barometric changes in a plane ?
    The entire plane is pressurized including the cargo.
    As far as I recall, the plane is pressurized at an equivalent standard altitude of 2000m (6600ft). You can ride a bike at that altitude!!!!
    So if pressure at sea level is 14.7psi, pressure in the cabin will be around 11.3 psi.
    Is it a significant difference ?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The biggest problem with Rohloffs is laying them on their side, and/or heating them such as in the back of a hot car (supposedly due as much to a slight internal pressure increase vs. a thinning of the oil). I've had a hub practically drain itself in my car in the hot + sideways condition.

Like Eric wrote, an airplane in and of itself isn't going to cause any problem, and in fact, the cooler temps usually encountered in non-heated cargo bays may help to firm the oil up and act as a further leak deterrent.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and info.